Unregistered drones BANNED in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Unregistered drones banned

3299e271e314c802957e3a4a905efc15.jpeg

Owners have been given 90 days from Friday to register their drones, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) announced on Wednesday.

NBTC Secretary General Takorn Tantasith said the decision was taken to deal with the rampant use of drones in Thailand, while only 350 are registered with the Civil Aviation of Thailand (CAT). 

Takorn said owners of illegal drones should register them at the NBTC headquarters in Bangkok, its branches in many provinces, police stations and CAT offices.  

Failure to register them within 90 days from Friday could result in a jail term of not more than five years and/or a fine of not more than Bt100,000 or both. 

Takorn emphasised the complete ban on drones in the vicinity of the Royal Funeral of His Majesty the late King which is being held at Sanam Luang from October 25 to 29. 

The radius of the ban is 19 kilometres from Sanam Luang that goes as far as the border of Samut Prakarn, Nakhon Pathom and Nonthaburi provinces.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329068

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-11

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Good, funnily enough just reminded me of a dream I had last about drones, must be some kind of warning premonition as I'm flying into Bangkok at the end of the month

I had a dream last night; I was eating a giant marshmallow!  When I woke-up, my pillow had gone.

19 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Spy cams basically if in the wrong hands

And a lot more......many reports out now that drones are now the big threat to watch out for in the battle against the terrosists. Bombs being dropped from above in stadia where big events are happening ....like football matches and all sports....any place where a lot of people are gathered....it's too horrible to contemplate the possibilities.

PS......and somebody on here says...."what a joke"....All I can say is.......protect us all....not so much from the bombers, but from the people who can think of nothing othet than that to say?

38 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

And a lot more......many reports out now that drones are now the big threat to watch out for in the battle against the terrosists. Bombs being dropped from above in stadia where big events are happening ....like football matches and all sports....any place where a lot of people are gathered....it's too horrible to contemplate the possibilities.

PS......and somebody on here says...."what a joke"....All I can say is.......protect us all....not so much from the bombers, but from the people who can think of nothing othet than that to say?

To do this you need very advanced equipmenr thats very expensive. My small drone can only fly in a 300 m radius and for 12 minutes. It cant lift anything heavy, like an explosive device. What harm can it do when I fly it on our farm. Why do I need to register a drone like this ? It is just a toy. It is again a over reaction. 

That's a very good idea and a first step towards making them illegal!

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons . The bigger ones can carry payloads of 20 kg or more, and are potentially extremely dangerous delivery systems for explosives, chemical and biological weapons and other nasty stuff.

Camera-equipped drones are also commonly used to snoop on other people's privacy and business dealings. They can go stationary and take photos and videos right through people's windows, even in condo and office buildings. And they can easily be used to take down aircraft, either on take-off or on landing approach.

Why they were ever allowed to be made available to the public is totally incomprehensible to me.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

A few years ago aa American student attached a gun to a quadcopter and a servo operated the trigger. It was a seriously lethal weapon and easy to build

And? They nicked planes with plastic forks 9/11

Why not licence plastic forks?

U can weaponize anything

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons . The bigger ones can carry payloads of 20 kg or more, and are potentially extremely dangerous delivery systems for explosives, chemical and biological weapons and other nasty stuff.

Camera-equipped drones are also commonly used to snoop on other people's privacy and business dealings. They can go stationary and take photos and videos right through people's windows, even in condo and office buildings. And they can easily be used to take down aircraft, either on take-off or on landing approach.

Why they were ever allowed to be made available to the public is totally incomprehensible to me.

I bet you don’t have much fun in life.

6 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

That's a very good idea and a first step towards making them illegal!.......................snip...................

And they can easily be used to take down aircraft, either on take-off or on landing approach.

So can R/C model aircraft, but I have not heard of one being used to "take down" a commercial aircraft, and they have been around for the last 50 years!!

13 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

And cars can carry a payload of tonnes...better ban cars. Hell, I can carry about 40kg...better ban I's as well. :coffee1:

Archived