Unregistered drones BANNED in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, katana said:

Thanks. If  they don't keep them, rather than going to the trouble of printing them out, maybe they would accept just seeing them on a camera screen.

You better treat my information the same way as information about how Immigration offices handle cases... not sure whether other police stations gather documents/photos the same way.

I would follow Richard Barrows recommendations, photo prints do not cost a fortune (I have been charged 5 Baht per print standard size).

12 hours ago, Ular said:

I printed some photos and and glued them on a piece of paper, a memory stick would have been useless in my case, they have done everything manually, no computer was involved.
However they looked at the photos but returned the paper and the copy of my passport to me and just kept their own piece of paper of registration and my application form.

P_20171017_144433_vHDR_Auto.jpg

That's some high tech registration system... never seen one like this... Obviously trying to keep up with advanced technology such as drones

• 4 weeks later...

Registered my drone at NBTC in Chiangmai. It took me 5 minutes to put stamps on my paper, no drone reqired. The process was easy, now I have some paper to show if someone ask me for registration.

By now there are around 400 drone registrations in Chiangmai only.

I thought the issue was a red tape hassle in Thailand to peacefully fly your drone.

Just checked with the local bureaucracy here in Europe with a DJI Mavic Pro...you need one permit from the Federal Aviation Department, another from the local airport air trafic control division and a last authorisation valid only for the day of flying from the state police. One cannot fly closer then 5 km from an airport and not closer then 300m from a government building.

All this to say that I can understand the hassles on the issue in Thailand as it is no better out here.

1 hour ago, saygak said:

Registered my drone at NBTC in Chiangmai. It took me 5 minutes to put stamps on my paper, no drone reqired. The process was easy, now I have some paper to show if someone ask me for registration.

By now there are around 400 drone registrations in Chiangmai only.

But that is not what we have been told to do by the CAAT.  Maybe you have some stamps on your paper, but how do you know they are the correct stamps.... seems risky if you get caught and your documents don't meet the criteria that CAAT set out... you might have stamps, but they won't care and you could end up fined or in prison.  

You need two sets of approval, one from NBTC, which is just a stamp from your local NBTC office, and the other from CAAT, which is the most difficult of the two

And when you  submit the paperwork to CAAT, you must include your drone insurance policy or they will not process the paperwork, which they say will take 60 days to complete 

Here is what the NBTC "approval" stamp looks like: (from Chanthaburi which services Chonburi )

5a0ce1bfc97d1_NBTCstamp.png.599f58dc6e6547e81e6cbddc0143e1f6.png

17 hours ago, Xaos said:

CAAT only if you fly commercially.

Like jurnalists not hobbysts.

There is article on TV

"In addition, if you are flying a drone for commercial purposes then you be insured and have permission from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT)."

https://tech.thaivisa.com/register-drone-thailand/25059/

If you are going to cite a reference for your first point (CAAT only if you fly commercially) make sure it is the correct one, like the government agency in charge instead of Tech Thai Visa

BTW, RPA (remote piloted aircraft) and drones are synonymous 

caat.png.ed8bf8fd3c2cdddf42c26880a7453665.png

source: https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/27220

If you are going to cite a reference for your first point (CAAT only if you fly commercially) make sure it is the correct one, like the government agency in charge instead of Tech Thai Visa

BTW, RPA (remote piloted aircraft) and drones are synonymous 

caat.png.ed8bf8fd3c2cdddf42c26880a7453665.png

source: https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/27220

I just emailed them will update here if they reply.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

I just emailed them will update here if they reply.

Here I'll save you the wait for a reply: (email addresses  redacted)

profile_mask2.png

<txxxxx[email protected]>

AttachmentsOct 20
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to: me
cleardot.gif
Dear Sir,

To operate the drone in Thailand, you will need to register the drone with the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand.

What is needed for UAV registration:

1. Form of Consent to the Disclosure of Personal Information

2. UAV Registration Application Form

(I have attached those 2 forms below.)

3. You need to have the insurance paperwork which covers damages caused to the body, life and properties of the third parties. The minimum sum insured is not less than 1 Million Baht per time.

What should be mentioned on insurance paperwork are:

- UAV Brand

- UAV Model

- **UAV Serial Number**

- UAV Weight

- Your name as an insured on the paperwork as well

- Please also mention if this insurance policy will be covered in Thailand or Worldwide

- Please provide your insurance paperwork which is translated from legalization and authentication service with translation company's stamp on it.

4. Copy of your passport

**It will be helpful if you can provide insurance paperwork in English to reduce approval wait times**.

For your information, you should plan ahead before you bring your UAV to Thailand. Since you have registered  for UAV,  I will send your personal information to National Intelligence Agency, Immigration Bureau and Office of Narcotics Control. It will take approximately 60 days to get the result before I can process the approval.

and

If we don't have your insurance paperwork, we can't process the approval for you.

I'm so sorry for your inconvenience.

Archived