Unregistered drones BANNED in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

So I have to ask, what is the point of registering the drone?  They say register but what are we registering?  

I have had a Mavic for a year here. I fly responsibly. 

Anyone have a link to the registration form?

I laugh as its a 5 year jail term or 100k baht fine. People kill people here and apologize and give 30k baht and walk away.  

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Xaos said:

No they werent.
Up to 2kg drones were legal. Mavic and phantoms are under 2kg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Xaos,

do you have a link to an official site that confirm the exceptions/limitations?

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

I'm going down to the beach to smoke a few cigs and fly my drone...

This is a country that can't enforce a helmet law. 

Just don't feed the coral fish! could set you back 400.000 THB (100.000 for the cigs, 100.000 THB for the drone flight and 200.000 THB for feeding the fish, god only knows how long you will stay in jail on top of the fines)

36 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

That's a very good idea and a first step towards making them illegal!

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons . The bigger ones can carry payloads of 20 kg or more, and are potentially extremely dangerous delivery systems for explosives, chemical and biological weapons and other nasty stuff.

Camera-equipped drones are also commonly used to snoop on other people's privacy and business dealings. They can go stationary and take photos and videos right through people's windows, even in condo and office buildings. And they can easily be used to take down aircraft, either on take-off or on landing approach.

Why they were ever allowed to be made available to the public is totally incomprehensible to me.

they used to be called radio-controlled aircraft. for the most part of 3-4 decades ago due to cost and steep learning curve, the rc community was quite restrictive. thanks to technology and china making them cheaply, rc models have become commonplace. sadly, these "drones" are now so easy to buy (in terms of both availability and price) as well as operate that owners forego the discipline, limitations, and responsibilities that go into flying rc aircraft.

a lot of people, myself included, enjoy this hobby. yes, you may call drones unnecessary toys (which is more or less true for any hobby) but to call for them to be illegal is a bit of a stretch. regulated, yes. while the bad guys can use drones, so can the good guys.

On 8/25/2017 at 7:45 PM, Hereinthailand said:

2 hours ago, Metapod said:

What do you have to do to get registered?

Fill in a very short form and....much more importantly....Pay a fee of course....which will be the point of this whole exercise!

One could bet that a local province police station would have absolutely no idea what the whole issue is about, but will gladly extort some cash as a fine with no receipt  of course....

Instead of once again picking on the consumers, the DJI drones that are openly sold at MBK and similar, should have the shops take up the formalities for immediate registration with the NBTC, when the sale is being made.....

All these bans remind me of China and the USSR...40 years ago....

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

And a lot more......many reports out now that drones are now the big threat to watch out for in the battle against the terrosists. Bombs being dropped from above in stadia where big events are happening ....like football matches and all sports....any place where a lot of people are gathered....it's too horrible to contemplate the possibilities.

PS......and somebody on here says...."what a joke"....All I can say is.......protect us all....not so much from the bombers, but from the people who can think of nothing othet than that to say?

U must be scared of ur own shadow at times!

yes, everything is a terrorist threat these days, at least that's what they want u to believe. 

So now little johnny with his $30 toy drone has to register it? 

U must be scared of ur own shadow at times!

yes, everything is a terrorist threat these days, at least that's what they want u to believe. 

So now little johnny with his $30 toy drone has to register it? 
Use your brain. Little Johnny won't have a camera flying at 500 feet.

Little Johnnys toy won't leave his condo ceiling.
What a bizarre post

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

And? They nicked planes with plastic forks 9/11

Why not licence plastic forks?

U can weaponize anything

Some people only feel as safe as the laws "protecting" them. Once upon a time most people just used a thing called "common sense", but apparently we have no use for it anymore. 

Laws for just about anything in some country's these days, it's a crazy world. 

1 hour ago, DjSiN said:

Some people only feel as safe as the laws "protecting" them. Once upon a time most people just used a thing called "common sense", but apparently we have no use for it anymore. 

Unfortunately sense is far from common.

Patriot Act

54 minutes ago, Xaos said:

I saw it cant find it now

Try

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/08/quick-look-at-the-new-and-updated-drone-law-in-thailand/

It looks like its been misinterpreted by richard, and most other people since then...

reading the translation if you have a drone under 2kg and its use is for pleasure/hobby/sport then it doesnt require registration

BUT

if it has a camera and can film or take pictures, then regardless of wieght or use,  it falls into the class that does require registration, and insurance, and a fire extinguisher(?!) and ..and...

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Announcement-of-the-Ministry-of-Transport.pdf

172DD881-CA4B-49D1-ABD1-09A9CFAE3925.thumb.jpeg.7e62114a8d03563d8fae0a1e84afa813.jpeg

serious overkill for hobby drones/selfie drones....

??

This is why they need to be regulated......as rigorously as piloted, full size aircraft:

Plane in UK's first double-drone near-miss case - BBC News

UK reports 70 drone near-misses at Heathrow in 2016 - Engadget

Near misses between drones and airplanes on the rise in US, says FAA

As always, too many of the "wrong sort" have got hold of them, just as too many of the wrong sort have got hold of guns........and just as too many of the wrong sort get to travel.

8 hours ago, Bonefish said:

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons . The bigger ones can carry payloads of 20 kg or more, and are potentially extremely dangerous delivery systems for explosives, chemical and biological weapons and other nasty stuff.

Camera-equipped drones are also commonly used to snoop on other people's privacy and business dealings. They can go stationary and take photos and videos right through people's windows, even in condo and office buildings. And they can easily be used to take down aircraft, either on take-off or on landing approach.

Why they were ever allowed to be made available to the public is totally incomprehensible to me.

Wow, you've convinced me about these Horror toys.

Can you please recommend a good supplier of tinfoil hats?

I tried to register by trying to fill the forms i received online from CAAT but it was all in Thai, unless you master written Thai to be able to register and fly drones in Thailand otherwise you will have to fly and go to CAAT to do it. At this stage you should not bring your drone to Thailand until your registration is approved. This is how it works. 

1 hour ago, ZAKY said:

I tried to register by trying to fill the forms i received online from CAAT but it was all in Thai, unless you master written Thai to be able to register and fly drones in Thailand otherwise you will have to fly and go to CAAT to do it. At this stage you should not bring your drone to Thailand until your registration is approved. This is how it works. 

Had no trouble finding an English form.

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/UAV-Registration-Application-Form.pdf

Who writes this "insurance policy"  ?

(1) obtaining an insurance against damage arising from bodily harm, loss of life, as well as damage to an asset of third party with insurance limit more than 1 million Baht per time

source: https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/UAV-Registration-Application-Form.pdf

And once I figure out where to get the insurance then who do I submit the form  to;  one or all of these locations

owners of illegal drones should register them at the NBTC headquarters in Bangkok, its branches in many provinces, police stations and CAT offices

In most countries, ignorance of the law is no excuse. but in a country that can't write a single law that makes any sense is that legal principle still applicable ?

And if approved will I get a drone license ?

11 hours ago, Bonefish said:

99.9% of people do not buy Consumer Drones for spying on people its manly for photography like filming scenery/ family /sport etc you and other people privacy is not on the agenda....... were not all spy's working for the NSA 

"I think you may need to tighten your tin foil hat a bit more .... the aliens may have altered your grey matter while you were sleeping"

CmoFZGMXgAA49KA.jpg

Archived