VIDEO: Thai man brutally assaults Aussie expat in Pattaya following road rage incident

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad all the drama's can't be accompanied with such conclusive video footage so as to eliminate the wrongful conjecture , both party's guilty of shameless behavior ,eg young man whacking old man etc  but the old man lost the plot, I'd of been pissed off too if I was the young bloke . Definitely a case of first world road rage.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You cant see the absolute bias of some people ? Defend the westerner no matter what and condemn the Thais no matter what ?

A farang has just committed an horrific assault, attacked a Thai family, including a baby, with a machete. Smashed the guys car windows, cut the Thai guys arms, then ran him over with his car.

And its calls for the arrest of the Thai guy.

Yes the Thai guy then committed assault (in anger) and should be punished., do you blame him, his family was just attacked with a machete.

Granted, the policeman should have been more proactive.

I suppose my response is because people are still trying, in the light of overwhelming evidence, to defend the westerner and turn this into a thai bashing exercise. 

Had I been in the place of the Thai chap I would have decked this  farang moron as well and sod the consequences.  I hope the old fool gets all that he deserves.  Good punch by the way, impressive 

41 minutes ago, scottide said:

Whatever happened beforehand it was a coward punch from the Thai and totally unnecessary.

So if this old codger had attacked you with a machete. Then ran into you with his cas forcing you to fly into the airvand land heavily on the road. You would just walk up to him once you had caught up and said fair dinkom mate.? 

I know i wouldnt.

I have seen both clips and it escalated way out of control its just lucky that no one was killed.

Both at fault but the Aussie seems to be the main aggressor by pulling out the Machete.

First video you can say what a bloody idiot the Aussie is blah blah blah but if you only see the 2 and video it is the Thai man the aggressor.

My thoughts;

1. Was the Thai guy wearing lipstick?

2. Good punch!

3. Ring did the damage, 3 or 4 stitches to clean that up.

4. The whole incident is a road rage situation that got out of hand. No way should the old Aussie guy have tried to run the Thai guy over.

5. Much as I can understand the Thai guy's anger, a hefty shove would have sufficed, as even I don't like to see old men (70+) being punched, even though I've met a few that deserve one...

1 minute ago, pigeonjake said:

im not botherd who did what at who.

I'm more botherd about a so called police man not doing anything!

It was atrocious policing.  First in allowing the initial victim to confront the old guy, and second in not immediately restraining him.

When you've seen both clips, the one where the farang threatens the Thai man with a machete and then tries to run the Thai man over with his car, followed by the one above where the Thai man punches the farang, you can begin to understand the Thai man's rage.  I don't understand why we farangs can't just accept that we are guests in this country and they do not always do things exactly like we do back home.  I have lost count as to how many times some Thai person has cut me off while driving, or entered the main road from a side road without caring that I was already coming close on the main road and had to slow down to avoid hitting him.  But, that is not reason enough to get totally mad and attack someone with either a machete or my car.  Just yield and stay cool.  This is their country and we farangs need to learn how to co-exist with the Thais.  After watching both clips, I'm really not sure who was most at fault.  But, I'm leaning toward believing the farang got what he deserved.  

13 minutes ago, rickb said:

When you've seen both clips, the one where the farang threatens the Thai man with a machete and then tries to run the Thai man over with his car, followed by the one above where the Thai man punches the farang, you can begin to understand the Thai man's rage.  I don't understand why we farangs can't just accept that we are guests in this country and they do not always do things exactly like we do back home.  I have lost count as to how many times some Thai person has cut me off while driving, or entered the main road from a side road without caring that I was already coming close on the main road and had to slow down to avoid hitting him.  But, that is not reason enough to get totally mad and attack someone with either a machete or my car.  Just yield and stay cool.  This is their country and we farangs need to learn how to co-exist with the Thais.  After watching both clips, I'm really not sure who was most at fault.  But, I'm leaning toward believing the farang got what he deserved.  

They are both clearly at fault.  Where sympathy lies is immaterial.

The Thai can't claim self defence, or justifiable, immediate loss of temper.  Had the assault taken place shortly after the attempt on his life then he could have swung it.

In the UK, or Australia, there would be public safety to consider.  Prosecution of both would take place.  Both are arguably dangerous criminals.  Regarding the Thai: it was to some extent premeditated and very serious assault.

Thai police could and should have prevented the second offence.

so I read the article and the Australian man claims he was defending himself... and then i see comments that there is a video of him trying to run over the guy... That doesn't sound like self-defense to me.

Terrible situation all around.  People get stupid pretty quickly when they are angry!

just saw the video... yeah i have no pity for the Australian mad regarding him getting sucker punched  and floored... i do feel bad for his daughter though

6 minutes ago, rickb said:

You make a good point but I disagree with the notion of "we are guests". What are you saying this kind of behavior isn't acceptable here but is OK at home? That's nonsense, you know very well that there are good and bad people in every country and that this Aussie guy may very well have reacted the same way at home as he did here.

Westerners have every right to live in Thailand just as Thais are allowed to live in western countries. Of course it would be preferred if all foreigners respected Thai society just as all foreigners should respect the western societies they live in. It's just that that is an unrealistic expectation - there are bad eggs in every society. Still, I don't think one should make a blunt "us vs. them" statement like many farang (and many Thais too) like to make - I don't believe that reacting violently to being in a minor car accident would be any more acceptable behavior in Australia, the USA, Europe or any other country than Thailand. BUT what I do know is that road rage IS more common in the west than in Thailand, despite what many armchairs "experts" on Thai Visa like to claim.

I too would have been unhappy about being scraped, but his reaction was way over the top.

Archived