Thaivisa exclusive: “Attempted murder" as "Australian" man punched by Thai in school says he is really British

webfact

29 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

A machete is a gardening tool here in Thailand. 

Must be a slow news day... 

True. We use a machete as a gardening tool for hacking down long grass and weeds, they are actually sold as gardening tools at our local market. But that`s where it stays, on our property, I do not carry one about with me when I go out. Even a kitchen knife if carried about outside the home could be considered as carrying a dangerous weapon. No excuses the guy obviously had the machete in his car to be used for an attack or as a defence if required, therefore in this case it`s considered a weapon and not a gardening tool.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

"Floored by a left hook".....that landed on his left jaw?

Interesting.

Yes; check ouT the vid; it was not a 'standard' punch and he threw a sucker punch; not very elegant but quite effective. 2 inches lower and I believe the old man was a candidate for the morgue or a long stay at the nearest hospital.

53 minutes ago, pookiki said:

If we all thought that we had the right to exact our own form of justice when we felt wronged, there wouldn't be any reason to have police, courts, or the rule of law.  I've been assaulted and physically injured.  Sure, I was mad but I didn't seek my own personal revenge. If you are attacked, you certainly have the right to defend yourself. The punch to the head came after the assault occurred and it could have easily killed the Brit given his age.  It's not always easy to control one's rage but if we can't, let's just go back to the law of the jungle or the survival of the fittest. 

Sure your right.. but that rage is a mitigating circumstance, it is different if you wait cool down and then plan your revenge.

I agree 100% that its better to cool down and let the law handle it.. unfortunately sometimes we see in front of our eyes after an incident like this. In this case i really feel for the Thai guy, that punch is just a result of the actions of the farang. 

2 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Might be some of that White Privilege stuff we're hearing so much about from the sjw's? 

...and many farang; especially some wealthy so 'n' so's, think that coming here with big $$$$ somehow 'entitles' them to treat Thais like toys.

I don't really care what the outcome of this is but I'd hope that any charge is then equally given to all the Thais brandishing weapons in their crazy road rage attacks too. From previous cases he should get a 500 baht fine but I doubt that will be the case

8 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

No surprise seeing you condoning a sucker punch against a 77 year old here.

No surprise seeing you defend an OAP who tried to run down a Thai thai with his car and then tried to kill him with a machete. He is lucky he only got a sucker punch. But yea I gues blind Thai hating OAP's will always support their own kind. 

Others see him as just a tool who if he needed respect for his age he should not have acted like a murderous idiot. 

If you want to be respected for your age.. act your age.. don't act like a murderous idiot. 

If you act like one don't hide behind your age when someone acts back at you. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure your right.. but that rage is a mitigating circumstance, it is different if you wait cool down and then plan your revenge.

I agree 100% that its better to cool down and let the law handle it.. unfortunately sometimes we see in front of our eyes after an incident like this. In this case i really feel for the Thai guy, that punch is just a result of the actions of the farang. 

Robblok, according to your 'theory' of mitigation you have determined that the Brit was entirely at fault without knowing all the evidence.  Maybe, just maybe, the Brit's rage was in reaction to an earlier incident where he felt his life was in danger. The fact of the matter is that Thai police did a piss poor job of keeping the Thai man at a reasonable distance away from the Brit.  There is a significant difference in physical stature and age of the two individuals. Thai police, on the other hand, encourage incidents like these with their staged reenactments and press conferences where there is close physical proximity with the accuser and the accused.

2 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

He lived in Thailand for a number of years but no one is calling him a Thai, so why people calling him Aussie because he lived there? 

He's British (or maybe Britsh!t)...stop tarnishing the good name of Australians !

Funny how yesterday the comments were 90% against the "Aussie." Now that we find out that he's a Brit, almost half the comments are either in his defense or Thai bashers. 

Thai laws regarding assault are so immensely fubared in that there seems to be absolutely not concept of self-defense.   Everyone gets charged.  

For foreigners, simply do your best never to get in a confrontation or a fight, but if it happens - win by any means except with the use of a knife or gun, because at the end of the day you'll be charged along with the other guy(s).  It seems that sticks, rebar, rocks don't seem to be considered weapons.  Regarding the Brit - did he brandished the weapon and then get punched.  Ok - self defense on the part of the Thai.  Or was it something different.  Either way - defend yourself and you're a criminal. 
Another example:
I really pity that Thai engineer who was cut off by a pickup truck with his wife as a passenger, surrounded by aggressive Thai teens who attempted to bash their way into his truck, and he shot one of them ending the assault.  Criminally that should be legal use of deadly force against overwhelming disparity of force, and I have not doubt that his life and the life of his wife were in danger.  But!  It's ok for a group of Thai armed with bricks, stones, sticks, rebar or the equivalent of a man with eight to ten arms (multiple attackers) to main another person.  That seems to be a misdemeanor.  Maybe a 5000 THB fine and a wai.  But instead the engineer, protecting his and his wife's lives is charged with murder. 
Bottom line:  You can not legally protect yourself in this country.  It's obviously illegal.  You must meekly submit to being mained or killed - otherwise, you're the criminal.  

Just another old fool who for some bizarre reason wants to live in Thailand 'until the end of his life'. Thais will be happy to smack you if you are 25 or if you are 78. You are just a barely tolerated foreigner, until such a time that you have a run in with a local usually  a lot milder than the one illustrated here, suddenly the situation can turn really nasty, and the true feelings of the Thai people involved come quickly bubbling to the surface.

3 hours ago, Ratcher said:

I have no sympathy for this "British" guy. If he speaks with an Aussie accent he must have lived there for a long time. I think there may be more to this story. He was in the wrong. Gives the law abiding British a bad name. He should lose his right to live here for his stupid behaviour. 

This comment tells more about you than this guy we all do stupid stuff and forgiveness is for the strong and guess where you comment belong 

3 hours ago, Ratcher said:

I have no sympathy for this "British" guy. If he speaks with an Aussie accent he must have lived there for a long time. I think there may be more to this story. He was in the wrong. Gives the law abiding British a bad name. He should lose his right to live here for his stupid behaviour. 

He seems to give Australians and British a bad name! 

Now from the original report the nationality is changed, and so's his age. Quite a few questions such as does he have British and Australian nationality, how long was he living in Australia if he speaks with an Australian accent? At 77 does he have a valid driving license? And now this "big player" in the fishing fleet business that he doesn't want to comment on.

All seems a bit strange.

Just another old fool who for some bizarre reason wants to live in Thailand 'until the end of his life'. Thais will be happy to smack you if you are 25 or if you are 78. You are just a barely tolerated foreigner, until such a time that you have a run in with a local usually  a lot milder than the one illustrated here, suddenly the situation can turn really nasty, and the true feelings of the Thai people involved come quickly bubbling to the surface.

Could the bizarre reason he wants to live here is the fact he is married and has a nine year old daughte have something to do with it? What a stupid comment.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"A lawyer was appointed for him."

omg> he's done for. He's lived in Thailand for 15 years, could post a 200k bail but he doesn't have his own lawyer. He'll need the best he can get.

He said he wants to live the rest of his life in Thailand. He can forget that now. Posting bail meant he surrendered his passport and his original visa was canceled.

"Mr Collins - who speaks with an Australian accent"

He claims he's only a resident in Australia and travels on a British passport. Unless he was a young child when he arrived, he would not speak with an Australian accent.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

More of a straight left than hook, but coming from his blind side, a cheap shot whatever it was :)

Yes. well said.

And I wonder if he was left handed ... or was just swinging from the guys left side, so naturally had to use a left. 

Both are idiots, and I hope to meet few people like them. 

Having said that, I can think of no kind of minor fender bender accident, however malicious, still a fender bender or scratched bumper that can justify an aggressive attack with a machete. Same for intentionally driving into the guy with force. 

Even though the punch was cold cock with a step swing it was not very powerful. If he had lowered the contact a couple inches he might have taken the jaw off; it looks like he made contact with the cheekbone and jaw. I think the old fart could have come out much worse especially dropping to the pavement and curb like that. 

The worst part of the whole story is the schoolgirl crying. That breaks my heart to see her so afraid, confused and worried about her father. 

I do not believe attempted murder is appropriate. He probably did intend to cause bodily harm.  I also think it would be better to admit his fault in what appears to be a 50/50 encounter.

The assault by the Thai can not be condoned, whatever the provocation, as it was brutality.

30 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Robblok, according to your 'theory' of mitigation you have determined that the Brit was entirely at fault without knowing all the evidence.  Maybe, just maybe, the Brit's rage was in reaction to an earlier incident where he felt his life was in danger. The fact of the matter is that Thai police did a piss poor job of keeping the Thai man at a reasonable distance away from the Brit.  There is a significant difference in physical stature and age of the two individuals. Thai police, on the other hand, encourage incidents like these with their staged reenactments and press conferences where there is close physical proximity with the accuser and the accused.

My theory is based on what is proven, its not proven what the Brit has experienced before. If he can prove it then the theory goes for him too. As for the age people seem to bring up all the time.. maybe he should have acted his age and not hide behind it. 

20 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I didn't think you'd have the ability to understand hitting 77 year old people was wrong.

Let alone mounting a cowardly sneak attack when sure there could be no retaliation.

No I don't see that hitting a 77 year is wrong after he tried to run me over with a car and used a machete on me. Now hitting someone who has done nothing is wrong.. no matter is he is 77 or 27. But someone who has done me harm tried to kill me.. Ihave a lot less problem with it and sneak attack or no he got of light.. But sure try to defend him.. your probably a Brit too and old so I can get it. 

Farangs can do nothing wrong.. Thais are the ones who do wrong things even if all the evidence points at the farang being a murderous idiot. 

2 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I'm puzzled as to why some are more offended by the honour - or lack thereof - of the punch than they are by the fact this moron just tried to kill his assailant twice - once with a machete and again with a car.

Have you got access to another video ? 

I never saw him try to kill anyone with a machete !! Fair enough, he did bounce him over the car windscreen :)

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

No it would certainly not be justifiable, this assault is also not justifiable.. but certainly mitigating circumstances and given what happened to the guy he should receive no punishment at all. Just a punch after being run over by a car and threatened with a machete.

Is it possible there were mitigating circumstances that caused the Brit to attack the Thai? You don't seem to want to entertain that possibility.

I doubt you'd be yakking on about mitigating circumstances if the Thai had been the one with the machete trying to run over the old boy.

You just appear to be taking the Brit's side because, just like him, you're probably an elderly white male in Thailand and could just as easily find yourself in a similar situation (if, of course, you were stupid enough to do what he did)

Archived