Thaivisa exclusive: “Attempted murder" as "Australian" man punched by Thai in school says he is really British

webfact

16 minutes ago, isitworthit said:

Well being Aussie and reading this that he is British  Not Australian yet they keep saying he's Australian he's not.

The issue is both should be spoken to and treated as both being guilty him for garden too the Thai man for the punch in the face.

The fact one was 77years old and other 28 year old is mind blowing that this young man had the balls to hit an elderly man is beyond belief.

And yet it happened but then he is a foreigner in someone elses country and he will be in the wrong he will never win 

The fact that he was 77 years old and hit by a 28 year old is not beyond belief at all! The same thing happened in Hua Hin not so long ago, and the victim was an elderly WOMAN, who was decked by a Thai man, and then as she was sitting semi conscious on the ground, was kicked in the head by another younger Thai man.

The Queensberry rules seem to apply less here than anywhere else in the world!

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off course this coward Sumeth need to be charges too. But he will get a bag full of money of the British / Australian man. That is what I think will happen. No sympathy for this old man. But again then this coward shouldn't hit this old man and in front of small school children. Worst is that this police clown didn't do a bloody thing. Amazing Thailand.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is up to the court to decide if the attempted murder charge is appropriate, but I do hope that Sumeth is also going to be charged. The punch he threw was pretty dirty and I do not feel it fair that he can just walk away from that without some repercussions.

i would have done more to the old <deleted> than punch him if he had come at me with a macheti!!

I am surprised the Thai bloke did not jump on him to finish the old git off!!!

So what if there had been a bit of cutting each other up in their cars first......you dont reach for the machetti for goodness sake...what a <deleted>.......

2 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Well, if I was the farang's lawyer and your were the judge, I'd move to have you recused from the case for obvious bias.  You have consistently taken the position that the Thai man's actions in hitting the Brit should be mitigated on the 'video' of the previous confrontation. However, you have already decided that the farang man's statement can't be credible because there is no video. Why?  Maybe there are witnesses, right?  Road rage incidents in Thailand are truly over the top. 

No i would have been a good judge for not believing a statement without any collaborating evidence. If he has witnesses then of course the incident has to be taken into account. But even if there was some cutting off someone I don't see that as justifying the use of a machete and car to run over / threaten anyone. Now a punch after being run over and threatened that is a different story. I find a punch relatively mild if I compare it to running someone over with a car. 

AlexRich and Tony125. I do not know what video you are looking at but the video here does not show what is happening at the front of the Brits car, it only shows the rear of his car. So you show me the video of what is happening at the front of the Brits car. You must have better than excellent vision because it is impossible to say what is happening because you cannot see it.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

No i would have been a good judge for not believing a statement without any collaborating evidence. If he has witnesses then of course the incident has to be taken into account. But even if there was some cutting off someone I don't see that as justifying the use of a machete and car to run over / threaten anyone. Now a punch after being run over and threatened that is a different story. I find a punch relatively mild if I compare it to running someone over with a car. 

So bottom line is that you don't know.  None of us know.  What do you do when there is no video and only conflicting stories of the people involved?  What about the respective injuries suffered by the two?  Do you have the medical reports?  Shouldn't that be taken into account?

It is amazing the amount of bias that has been shown in this case

-He is Australian- must be in the wong

-Nope- He is British- must be wrong

-Other person is Thai- we all know how they drive- must be wrong

-Brit is age 77- we all know the elderly are  senile

-Brit is elderly-must have mental problems

And on and on.

None of the above has anything to do with the incident.  The video clip at the school is definitive- because the Thai is angry does not give him the right to assault anyone.

The clip  on the roadway is shot from a rear angle- it does not definitely show what the Brit did with the machete or whether he actually hit the Thai with his car or whether the Thai jumped on the car to stop him.  We need witnesses to sort this out and some other evidence or injuries. In addition the machete  was in the rear of his vehicle- and could be used for gardening. Normally, if it's sole use was as a weapon- he would have it in the front seat.

I suspect- both parties are at fault- both guilty of some type of assault or threatening.  Attempted murder is over the top.

I'm glad people on this board are not in the police department or the court- the bias is unbelievable.

21 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm saying that he may not be of sound mind - the indications are there that he is not. I'm also trying to explain that at his age the risk is quite high. A psychiatric examination could determine that.

The same could be said of some of the posters on this thread.

6 hours ago, Ratcher said:

I have no sympathy for this "British" guy. If he speaks with an Aussie accent he must have lived there for a long time. I think there may be more to this story. He was in the wrong. Gives the law abiding British a bad name. He should lose his right to live here for his stupid behaviour. 

Gives law abiding "farangs" a bad name!!

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

The concept of mitigation is already present in law.  I'm not sure it applies to retributive acts away from the immediate scene or some time later. I suppose the incident was still fresh and ongoing, but the nature of the assault, right in front of a policeman at that, probably does away with mitigation.  Also, if you watch the video you will see that the Thai guy seems to want more. Rightly or wrongly the legal officials take a very dim view of such acts, viewing them as contempt of the law; and they would be right, wouldn't they?

There was nothing even 'relatively mild' about the punch that was thrown imo.  It could have inflicted very serious injury.

We can not really exonerate either party for obvious reasons and we still don't know anything about the initial confrontation that led to subsequent events.  Both look completely guilty of serious assault.  The only mitigating factor for both is that neither has been left with lasting damage.

His age has nothing to do with anything- an elderly person is no more a risk of psychiatric problems than anyone else. They both need a psychiatric exam-uncontrolled anger and an inability to stop being angry shows emotional problems and is very prevalent in all societies in this day and age.

Road rage is a universal problem and is caused by several societal issues much to complicated to get into in this thread.

Having driven in Thailand and America over several years- I have witnessed many incidents in which a person's anger has been displayed. The only way to diffuse a situation is to never give in to the temptation to react.  Once there is no reaction- the other person goes away.

57 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Go to the front page of the thread and below the article there is a camera footage ... it shows very clearly the old guy running the Thai man over ... he gets tossed over the bonnet.

Quite right.  It is a serious assault, but the speed at which the car was going rules out attempted murder imo.  And indeed we see proof of this, because the Thai is merely flipped. Still, it did inflict injuries, and arguably he was lucky to escape with only grazes.  There is a slight possibility that the old guy was utterly confused at this point, which is not to excuse him, but it is a possibility.

Nobody wants to see people get in to trouble, especially with the state of Thai prisons.  Yet who can honestly say it is not deserved for the pair of them.

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes my points of view are harsh because I hate people like this. (irrelevant of age). People who use cars as weapons and carry machetes with them are not normal people. They are the type who get into trouble like this with their sense of entitlement to self defense with weapons. 

If you start attacking people then you should not be surprised if they attack you back irrelevant of your age. You seem to think he has some mental problem, if that is the case he should be behind locked doors (mental care), these people are a danger to themselves and others. 

I don't believe their right should outweigh other rights to safety. Maybe if you encounter an idiot like that you will change your mind too. Dangerous violent people should be either locked up or cared for if they have mental problems behind locked doors. Not carrying weapons in a car and driving a car. 

You continue to twist the subject. I know what he did as far as it was reported. I'm merely taking exception to your blinkered point of view that old people are all mentally healthy and at 77 his mental state may be in question.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

You continue to twist the subject. I know what he did as far as it was reported. I'm merely taking exception to your blinkered point of view that old people are all mentally healthy and at 77 his mental state may be in question.

Ill grant you that one he might not be mentally healthy, and then its a mitigating circumstance. However then he should not be allowed to drive anymore after this incident and put under better care so he won't do this again. 

However I don't think this is such abnormal (meaning there are plenty of not mentally impaired) people attacking others in road rage violence. So I don't think that these actions immediately show he is insane. But some test might be needed in order. 

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

By all means check his mental state (if possible at all here given the lack of English speakers and mental care levels here). But if it is found he is indeed unsound.. then lock him up somewhere so he can't do this again. Just letting someone like that out on the streets is asking for trouble. 

That would be something a good lawyer would order i.e. a psychiatric evaluation. They probably won't.

I'd like to see that Thai gold dealer locked away - he could be pretty dangerous. If he can brutally assault an old man directly in front of a policeman, it's quite possible with a gun he could kill someone (in his moment of anger). He's the more dangerous of the two.

11 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The concept of mitigation is already present in law.  I'm not sure it applies to retributive acts away from the immediate scene or some time later. I suppose the incident was still fresh and ongoing, but the nature of the assault, right in front of a policeman at that, probably does away with mitigation.  Also, if you watch the video you will see that the Thai guy seems to want more. Rightly or wrongly the legal officials take a very dim view of such acts, viewing them as contempt of the law; and they would be right, wouldn't they?

There was nothing even 'relatively mild' about the punch that was thrown imo.  It could have inflicted very serious injury.

We can not really exonerate either party for obvious reasons and we still don't know anything about the initial confrontation that led to subsequent events.  Both look completely guilty of serious assault.  The only mitigating factor for both is that neither has been left with lasting damage.

Yes your right the longer the two incidents are apart (time wise) the less this concept of mitigation works. (at least that is how it works in the Netherlands) because you have more time to calm down and be more rational. 

Compared to running someone over with a car (even though the Thai came off light) the punch is not that harsh, also threatening with a machete is not something mild. The guy only used his hand opposed to the farang who used a car and a machete. 

You seem to take into account that the car was not driving hard so its ok, but forget that the result of this punch was not as bad. So on one side you say oh but the car was not going fast and so he could not have hurt the guy much and look at the outcome. However when the punch is concerned (also did not do to much damage) your saying it could have been much worse. That is kinda strange reasoning bias maybe. In one part of the event you take into account the outcome in in the other part of the event you think about what could have happened. Now running the guy over could have gone wrong and the guy could have died...

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ill grant you that one he might not be mentally healthy, and then its a mitigating circumstance. However then he should not be allowed to drive anymore after this incident and put under better care so he won't do this again. 

However I don't think this is such abnormal (meaning there are plenty of not mentally impaired) people attacking others in road rage violence. So I don't think that these actions immediately show he is insane. But some test might be needed in order. 

People who are losing their mental faculties due to aging don't go bad in a day. He may function quite normally most of the time. The Thai gold dealer is by far the more dangerous of the two. How often have you heard stories of Thai males walking into bars with guns, shooting people dead? He's potentially one of those because he can't control his temper... and he's much stronger and much younger. Next time someone gives him the finger things could end much worse.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

That would be something a good lawyer would order i.e. a psychiatric evaluation. They probably won't.

I'd like to see that Thai gold dealer locked away - he could be pretty dangerous. If he can brutally assault an old man directly in front of a policeman, it's quite possible with a gun he could kill someone (in his moment of anger). He's the more dangerous of the two.

I disagree.. the gold dealer only used his fist.. no weapons that makes him in my book the better one of two idiots. Someone who uses a car and a machete is clearly more dangerous. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe because the Thai lost his cool after being attacked by that idiot farang. We have something similar in Dutch law that if your attacked first and you react to that its a lesser crime then attacking someone first. Your brought into that position because of the first attack in no way are those two things the same and you can't separate the second attack from the first. 

So some blame goes to the Thai for sure.. but he is the victim here.. he would never have reacted this way if he was not attacked first. 

Are you sure?  Usually there are limits, eg, how long after the offence, severity of response.  I mean, sure if he retaliated to the machete at the time then that would be self defence, and it probably wouldn't have mattered if the blow had actually killed the old guy.  But later and away from the incident, and actually going looking for revenge... well that is surely another matter.

I satnd by my original assessment: from what we can see both haven't got a leg to stand on.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I disagree.. the gold dealer only used his fist.. no weapons that makes him in my book the better one of two idiots. Someone who uses a car and a machete is clearly more dangerous. 

I disagree. The fact that he assaulted an old guy in front of the police officer, while being videoed, and shouting that he will kill him, means he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions. If he had a gun at that time he probably would have used it. He's by far the more dangerous of the two.

Many people carry weapons to use defensively - to scare people off. It takes a special breed to actually use them - he's one of them IMO. He's a loose and very dangerous canon. According to the limited information we have here, he was attempting to use his car as a ram and slammed on his breaks to stop the Aussie/Brit.

2 minutes ago, Sydneyboy1 said:
7 hours ago, johnefallis said:

One more reason I'll probably never live in Thailand again.

No need to be a member of the forum then. Bye Bye. 

LOL> If I had spent any time reading this forum before I arrived I would never have come in the first place.

31 minutes ago, pattayadon said:
7 hours ago, Ratcher said:

I have no sympathy for this "British" guy. If he speaks with an Aussie accent he must have lived there for a long time. I think there may be more to this story. He was in the wrong. Gives the law abiding British a bad name. He should lose his right to live here for his stupid behaviour. 

Gives law abiding "farangs" a bad name!!

LOL> too late for that. Decades of uncouth behaviour has well and truly given us all a bad name and one more incident will not make an iota of difference. We're ATMs to them, nothing more.

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

People who are losing their mental faculties due to aging don't go bad in a day. He may function quite normally most of the time. The Thai gold dealer is by far the more dangerous of the two. How often have you heard stories of Thai males walking into bars with guns, shooting people dead? He's potentially one of those because he can't control his temper... and he's much stronger and much younger. Next time someone gives him the finger things could end much worse.

If you read Thai tabloids you will hear stories of Thais doing bad things, but if you read British ones you will also hear the same about British men walking into places armed, it is not a Thai phenomena, the man is a Brit, they are thugs who go about brandishing weapons in public, see how daft that sounds?  As for not being able to control their temper, neither could, the Brit ran him over and then armed himself and had a go at his car with a machete, how on earth that translates to being less dangerous than someone who lashes out with his fists is beyond me, strength has little to do with it when one of them is willing to use his car and a machete to hurt the other.  And someone absolutely can go bad in a day as a result of aging, all it would take is a mini stroke in the right part of the brain and almost any degree of irrational behaviour is possible.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> too late for that. Decades of uncouth behaviour has well and truly given us all a bad name and one more incident will not make an iota of difference. We're ATMs to them, nothing more.

That's a little cynical, don't you think?

Archived