Second hand equipment shopping in Bangkok

Maybe this is common knowledge amongst the long termers here but for anyone who doesn't know about it,  the 5th floor of Mega Plaza Wangburapa in Bangkok's Chinatown, ( google maps for the exact location - it's essentially a Toy mall with the camera section on the 5th floor ), is a fantastic place to spend a couple of hours looking for vintage or current second hand camera gear. I started off with Nikon full frame equipment and 3 big zooms but because of the weight bought a Fuji X100t and then a second hand XT1 last year, which got me into buying adapted vintage second hand primes off UK ebay as I couldn't afford the higher end Fuji lenses at the time. I recently found this outlet, knowing that surely Bangkok had a decent source of second hand gear, and I'm seriously impressed with the range of equipment on offer. I managed last week to pick up 2 mint condition Fuji lenses for 50% of retail price as well as a Nikon Ais to complete my Ai/Ais collection for use on my Fuji and a Super Takumar in great condition.

Well worth a visit if you haven't been before.

Mega Plaza was known as Merry Kings before the renovation. 

Across the street, and just north, Always One mall used to also have quite a bit of equipment, back when it was known as Phirom Plaza.

There are a few other good used shops in the surrounding area. 

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much for this info about the shopping center.

I went there 2 days ago and found a mint condition/low shutter count Fuji X100T, got it for 25.000 baht, including the original box and all the accessories + 1 spare battery.

The X100F cost about 47k baht here so almost 1/2 price, and with my limited use/skills, the T is good enough for me.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, genobkk said:

Is this place still around?  Does anyone know any others for camera equipment?  I see people trying to sale very old stuff on Facebook groups for almost new prices 

Try also AV camera a short walk from Saphan Taksin  BTS Skytrain, not a massive selection but quality stock in excellent condition and also Fotofile outlet on the ground floor of MBK, quite a lot of older manual lenses in there.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:24 AM, Curt1591 said:

Mega Plaza is still there.

There are a few other shops in the neighborhood also.

Thank you. I checked out Mega plaza yesterday.  Although I did not buy anything not to bad prices, lots of good slectioin.  I was looking at lens and it can get very confusing with different generation lens looking almost alike so it is definitely good to do your home work before going.  I wanted to buy a 7-200 lens  I saw a cannon one that was at a decent price in good condition. 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:30 PM, Curt1591 said:

At one of the nearby shops, I picked up a like new Canon 1.4 extender, series II, for 5,000 baht, a third the retail price. It has served me well for years.

Hi Curt,  where are the nearby shops roughly if I was standing at the front entrance to Mega Plaza ?   I've only ever been straight to the Plaza because on both occasions it was bad rain so not conducive to walkabout and explore around there.  I like to do a day trip on the airport bus from Pattaya so if I get could get maximum value by looking in a few other nearby shops that would be even better.

24 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

I really can't remember, exactly. Plus, they come and go.

If I recall correctly, the shop I bought from was just up Chakrapetch from Mega.

"Always One", formerly Pirom Plaza, used to have a few shops.

No problem, I'll have a little scout around next time I'm up.

Thank u so much for all these excellent informations ;

Looking on my map of Bangkok ( Berndtson city streets  )..

I come sometimes to Bangkok; it's far from where I live in Issan but I like to walk in China Town ; so many things , houses, buildings , and people to shoot there..

So, from Hua Lamphong station, go as soon a spossible on Thanon Yaowarat ; and Mega Plaza is at the end of this wide street .;  30 to 45 minutes footing when not raining , of course ????

I'm looking for lenses for my micro4/3 Lumix G85;

would like to buy, if it's possible to find as  second hand lens,

an UGA zoom Pana 7-14 f/4 ( it's a 14-28 full frame )

and a telezoom Pana  100 - 300 f/4 - 5,6

and I would like to sell another UGA zoom I bought a long time ago ( 18 y old ) for Canon full frame ;

it's a SIGMA 17-35 f/2,8 - 4 

Hope I can find all of what I'm looking for in this district of Bangkok .

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived