CDN Bank Visa Debit card not working in Thai Bank ATM's

My old debit card from CIBC recently expired, and tho I never used it much in ATM's here, it did work.

I was required to complete a transaction to activate my new card. I tried at merchant terminals and ATMs but it kept failing and the ATM's would say contact the issuing bank. I contacted the bank they remotely activated the card yet it wouldn't work anywhere.

So I got my bank to send me another new one, maybe I had a bad chip or whatever.

So now I got my new debit card and it didn't work/activate in any Thai Bank ATM's or merchant machines. So I asked my bank to remotely activate this card.

Ok..so it works in merchant terminals now but not in ATM's. BTW I only used the merchant terminals inside the actual bank, as if I was making a purchase/cash advance.

Anyone have any experience or comments on why this is happening? Why would the terminals work but not ATM, it's a PLUS affiliated network card.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Is it an CHIP card? Has the magnetic strip been activated?

This could be the reason.

Many ATMs in Thailand can not read chip cards yet.

Bangkok Bank ATMs can.

And my Bangkok Bank chip card won't work at many other bank's ATMs.

Thread moved to banking... forum.

Thanks for moving the thread. I thought I'd put it in that forum initially.

Yes of course it's a chip card. And I did go to Bangkok Bank to try it in their machines knowing they are the central bank here. It worked in their reader but not the ATM, they are surprised.
I also had the same result at SCB, reader but not ATM

You are selecting the right type of bank account at the ATM screen?  I have not used a US card in 15 years but there used to be 2 choices and one would not work.

Also have not had any issues using UnionPay BBL chip chard in other bank ATM machines here in Bangkok - believe most banks have made the change some time ago.  But of course that is about they only thing these cards work with - almost no merchants seem to want them.

1. Make sure the ATM takes Plus

2.  Make sure you press- Current Account

3.   Manually put in the amount you want- 3,000, 4,000 etc.

If  the card works in the machine readers it will work in the ATMS.  Try again. All Banks in Thailand have updated their ATMS to use Foreign Chip Cards,  If still a problem make sure your bank in Canada is not blocking foreign ATM transactions.

As a Canadian myself I have had this problem with CIBC debit card on the odd occasion but more so with HSBC. I would concur with Thaidream's 123 list especially the part that you tell the bank your are temporarily out of the country and in Thailand. And if you have to go in to one of the malls  bank atms and call cibc telebanking support and tell them that you are about to make a withdrawal and see if they can sort it in real time. Good luck I personally know how frustrating it can be.

Randell

If  the card works in the machine readers it will work in the ATMS.  Try again. All Banks in Thailand have updated their ATMS to use Foreign Chip Cards,  If still a problem make sure your bank in Canada is not blocking foreign ATM transactions.
Thanks for all that, they know I'm out of the country, they just UPS'd me a new card here. I'll make sure I go through your steps and manually enter the amount. I have talked with them real-time doibg transactions with the first replacement card, but not since this 2nd replacement.

Thanks for all that, they know I'm out of the country, they just UPS'd me a new card here. I'll make sure I go through your steps and manually enter the amount. I have talked with them real-time doibg transactions with the first replacement card, but not since this 2nd replacement.

53 minutes ago, wcoast said:

It's actually far easier to open an account here, transfer funds from Canada, and get a debit card here. Much cheaper because you don't get the double whammy of ATM fees and the repeat currency exchanges. Sorry if that's a bit off topic. I'm assuming the OP is here long-term.

It's actually far easier to open an account here, transfer funds from Canada, and get a debit card here. Much cheaper because you don't get the double whammy of ATM fees and the repeat currency exchanges. Sorry if that's a bit off topic. I'm assuming the OP is here long-term.
I have accounts here, I am here long term, I do global money transfers from CDA to accounts here. I just don't get <deleted> the debit card isn't working :)

Was in Thailand in September and have a Scotiabank debit card and had no problem in any machine.Did you try Kasikorn bank atm?They are very reliable and I have used different types of Canadian bank card's in their machines and never a problem.

About 6 months ago a Canadian debit card that had been working without problems for years began to not work in Kasokorn ATMs. Sporadically at first, then every time. Contacted the Canadian bank (TDCanadaTrust). No problem from their end..

They sent me a new one by UPS, same as the OP. It arrived after 3 business days! Excellent service.

So I have been using it without problems for several months. A couple of days ago, on the advice of friends, I went to a Krungsi Bank branch to make a withdrawal. In Pattaya, at this branch, there is a kiosk outside the bank where you can use a debit card without paying the ATM charge. The young teller at the kiosk confirmed that this was the case if you have your passport with you and the debit card shows your name. The card reader would not accept my card, despite several attempts. Contact your bank, I was told..

Oh crap. I went down the street to an SCB ATM. Worked no problem. It's scary. I'm here many years. The bank knows this and there are no blocks from their end.

Was in Thailand in September and have a Scotiabank debit card and had no problem in any machine.Did you try Kasikorn bank atm?They are very reliable and I have used different types of Canadian bank card's in their machines and never a problem.
I did try kasikorn in the past, I always got transaction timed out error, but I haven't tried recently nor do I recall which card I was using.
Seems like the general state of affairs is hit and miss cross country. Keep the stories coming guys, maybe we'll uncover a pattern.

Having read all posts and also researched prior issues- it appears to me that it may be that some ATM machines are not functioning properly.  I remember Krungsri was having problems accepting chipped cards in the past but read where that problem was cleared up but it could be the connection at the ATM is faulty.  Since some posters have indicated that they can use their Canadian ATM cards in Thailand without issue at some aTMs- the problem must be with the individual ATM machine.  Try other ATM machines and other banks- Siam Commercial, Bangkok Bank, Thai military. Also, make sure the ATM  being used is compatible with the card system (Plus, Maestro etc) and make sure you  punch in 'Current Account' on the machine if you are withdrawing from your checking account.  Keep the board posted- hope you get it straightened out.

10 hours ago, bobbin said:

About 6 months ago a Canadian debit card that had been working without problems for years began to not work in Kasokorn ATMs. Sporadically at first, then every time. Contacted the Canadian bank (TDCanadaTrust). No problem from their end..

They sent me a new one by UPS, same as the OP. It arrived after 3 business days! Excellent service.

So I have been using it without problems for several months. A couple of days ago, on the advice of friends, I went to a Krungsi Bank branch to make a withdrawal. In Pattaya, at this branch, there is a kiosk outside the bank where you can use a debit card without paying the ATM charge. The young teller at the kiosk confirmed that this was the case if you have your passport with you and the debit card shows your name. The card reader would not accept my card, despite several attempts. Contact your bank, I was told..

Oh crap. I went down the street to an SCB ATM. Worked no problem. It's scary. I'm here many years. The bank knows this and there are no blocks from their end.

Don't   feel  bad.  My  replacement  Bangkok  Bank chip  debit  card  will  not  work in  many  Bangkok  Bank  ATMs  but is   fine  in  any  other  Bank's  ATM. No  problem. I just use  any  ATM  that  does  not  add a  withdrawal  fee.

I suspect  Bangkok  Bank is  being a  bit pedantic   and  selective  as  to which  ATM  locations  get technology  upgraded first.

Possibly  the  other  Banks  too?

52 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Don't   feel  bad.  My  replacement  Bangkok  Bank chip  debit  card  will  not  work in  many  Bangkok  Bank  ATMs  but is   fine  in  any  other  Bank's  ATM. No  problem. I just use  any  ATM  that  does  not  add a  withdrawal  fee.

I suspect  Bangkok  Bank is  being a  bit pedantic   and  selective  as  to which  ATM  locations  get technology  upgraded first.

Possibly  the  other  Banks  too?

Actually BBL was the first Thai bank to make the change to chip cards and quite sure all ATM's should work - but if using UnionPay you have to select TPN on an initial screen most times - other banks do not seem to require.

59 minutes ago, Nemesis7 said:

Actually it shoulnt be a problem with SCB/KTB or Kasikorn cause all systems are updated and all the banks around the globe are using chip based cards these days

It must be a local issue.

My experience is exactly the opposite.

My chip card works at the Bangkok Bank ATMs in my area but not at SCB and Kasikorn.

At SCB I got a dedicated message that chip card is not yet supported.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually BBL was the first Thai bank to make the change to chip cards and quite sure all ATM's should work - but if using UnionPay you have to select TPN on an initial screen most times - other banks do not seem to require.

Just as of  today  my  Bangkok  bank  debit  card was  refused  at  an   ATM again at  insert. But  at  another  Bangkok Bank  ATM  only  20 metres  away it was  no problem. I deliberately  tried  the  other because  this topic  came  to  mind. I  have  no  idea  what the  problem is  really  and I  am unwilling  to  go to my local Branch  to ask   because  I  always  get  the  hard word  on  buying into  a Savings/ Insurance  scheme whenever  the  Manager  sees  me!  lol.

BTW, I  have found there  is  one  Bank ATM  that  will  happily  dispense  20,000 from  an offshore  debit  card for  the same  fee  as for  the usual  10,000 max per transaction. But for the  moment I  cannot remember  which  Bank !

Just as of  today  my  Bangkok  bank  debit  card was  refused  at  an   ATM again at  insert. But  at  another  Bangkok Bank  ATM  only  20 metres  away it was  no problem. I deliberately  tried  the  other because  this topic  came  to  mind. I  have  no  idea  what the  problem is  really  and I  am unwilling  to  go to my local Branch  to ask   because  I  always  get  the  hard word  on  buying into  a Savings/ Insurance  scheme whenever  the  Manager  sees  me!  lol.
BTW, I  have found there  is  one  Bank ATM  that  will  happily  dispense  20,000 from  an offshore  debit  card for  the same  fee  as for  the usual  10,000 max per transaction. But for the  moment I  cannot remember  which  Bank !

I know in Chiang Rai the TMB Bank will give you up to 30,000 in a single transaction. Possibly it's only the one machine located at that particular branch, as we are discovering, other locations are hit and miss.

Krungsri and TMB ATM will give up to Bt30K per transaction if your card-issuing bank allows that much on your card per day/transaction.  The great majority of other Thai bank ATMs only allow Bt25K or Bt20K per transaction.

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Have never had any hard sell from Bangkok Bank - not so true from others.  You can obtain 25k from any Bangkok Bank ATM and as said even 30K for some others if allowed by home bank.  You are not limited to the highest machine option - you can always type in other amounts up to the max the ATM is allowed to provide - and in case of Bangkok Bank that is set at 25 bills.

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have never had any hard sell from Bangkok Bank - not so true from others.  You can obtain 25k from any Bangkok Bank ATM and as said even 30K for some others if allowed by home bank.  You are not limited to the highest machine option - you can always type in other amounts up to the max the ATM is allowed to provide - and in case of Bangkok Bank that is set at 25 bills.

Ok.  Some  regional differences and  maybe a  change  in policies? Not  so  long  ago  it was  a  nominal  10g  per transaction  with  200Bht  applied.  I  am a  Gigilo  so  I only   make  withdrawals  when  I am  forced  to. lol

Archived