Yogurt Maker - Where to buy in Khon Kaen and tips on making naturally

Speedo1968

Would like to buy a yogurt maker 10 or 12 servings in Khon Kaen if possible.

If not in Khon Kaen does anyone know where to buy online, not to import but from Thailand for delivery ?

Yes, I known making yogurt without the aid of electricity is supposed to be easy here but  I have had very varying results.over the past two years.

Any tips on how to make naturally in winter would be greatly appreciated.

Finally has any one tried making yogurt with pure almond or coconut milk or any non animal milk ?

On 10/14/2017 at 10:09 AM, JLCrab said:

This works real nice -- just get a large flat bottom plastic bowl from BigC instead of those silly little jars.

https://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=877

Thanks for the link.

Are you saying get a flat bottomed bowl or does the Severin maker works well ?

Where to get the Severin product from, is it online shopping ?

The Severin maker I bought from Verasu worked very well (at least it did until it stopped working but that was years later).

I  bought it from Verasu online. They ship EMS. The thing about the bowl is I preferred to use one large bowl rather than those small individual glass jars. Around a one liter flat bottomed bowl from BigC worked fine. I ended up just mixing a Dutchie plain yogurt from 7-11 and the 100% 800 ml whole milk.

The thing about the yogurt maker is that it keeps a constant temperature which results in a real smooth yogurt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2017 at 4:17 PM, JLCrab said:

The Severin maker I bought from Verasu worked very well (at least it did until it stopped working but that was years later).

I  bought it from Verasu online. They ship EMS. The thing about the bowl is I preferred to use one large bowl rather than those small individual glass jars. Around a one liter flat bottomed bowl from BigC worked fine. I ended up just mixing a Dutchie plain yogurt from 7-11 and the 100% 800 ml whole milk.

The thing about the yogurt maker is that it keeps a constant temperature which results in a real smooth yogurt.

Sorry for late read / reply of your post, have been helping someone move house.

Did you try making yogurt from plant milks and not animal milks ?

I just bought a smaller yogurt maker from lazada that I can fill with a medium bottle of milk (looks like it's 830g).  It cost 320 baht, and I'm very pleased with the purchase.  I've been making homemade greek yogurt to use in various recipes (tzatziki sauce tastes great) and I've been able to add 1 more farang food to my Issan diet.  The wife enjoys it as well.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:58 PM, tlock said:

I just bought a smaller yogurt maker from lazada that I can fill with a medium bottle of milk (looks like it's 830g).  It cost 320 baht, and I'm very pleased with the purchase.  I've been making homemade greek yogurt to use in various recipes (tzatziki sauce tastes great) and I've been able to add 1 more farang food to my Issan diet.  The wife enjoys it as well.

Thanks for the posting.

Glad you are having success in making Greek style yogurt, is that with traditional sheep milk or cows milk ?

Can be used as an alternative for labneh in Lebanese dishes or in Indian lassi.

I have been vegan for many years and have yet to make a good vegan yogurt that replaces either Greek or labneh.  I managed to make from soy milk last summer without a yogurt maker but it was even more hit and miss than making with cows milk.   Soy milk still tastes like soy milk when in yogurt form.

Have you ever tried making vegan yogurt from other milks such as Almond ?

55 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for the posting.

Glad you are having success in making Greek style yogurt, is that with traditional sheep milk or cows milk ?

Can be used as an alternative for labneh in Lebanese dishes or in Indian lassi.

I have been vegan for many years and have yet to make a good vegan yogurt that replaces either Greek or labneh.  I managed to make from soy milk last summer without a yogurt maker but it was even more hit and miss than making with cows milk.   Soy milk still tastes like soy milk when in yogurt form.

Have you ever tried making vegan yogurt from other milks such as Almond ?

I've only made it with normal cow milk from Tesco.

Under the theme of striking while the iron is hot (okay, hijacking the thread), does anyone have a scheme/ equipment for making sour cream? 

One that works with indigenous ingredients as most of the plans/ recipes posted online require ingredients that cost almost as much as the local brands of sour cream.  I miss buying liters of sour cream for what we pay in BKK for a half pint...

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Under the theme of striking while the iron is hot (okay, hijacking the thread), does anyone have a scheme/ equipment for making sour cream? 

One that works with indigenous ingredients as most of the plans/ recipes posted online require ingredients that cost almost as much as the local brands of sour cream.  I miss buying liters of sour cream for what we pay in BKK for a half pint...

Electrical equipment you may be able to buy or just off the shelf items but unfortunately you will, as far as I know, still need cream and buttermilk or yogurt.   To this you add lemon or vinegar ( even balsamic will do ).

The following text may help.

How to Culture Cream Using Alternative Starter Cultures

While sour cream is traditionally made with a Sour Cream Starter Culture, there are other ways to culture cream, to make a similar product. When using a different culture, there may be variations in flavor, so try a few and pick the one you like best.

1. Use Cultured Buttermilk or Countertop Yogurt

Cultured buttermilk or mesophilic (countertop) yogurt is convenient to use as starter for culturing cream, as well.

Use 1 tablespoon yogurt or buttermilk per cup of cream. Culture as you would buttermilk or yogurt, according to the instructions included with your particular starter culture.

2. Use Milk Kefir Grains or Finished Kefir

Milk kefir grains or finished milk kefir can be used to make Kefir Cream, a good substitute for sour cream.

Use 1 tablespoon finished milk kefir per cup of cream or 1 teaspoon grains for up to 4 cups of cream.

Due to the temperature in Thailand you realy don't need a yogurt making machine.

Just put  put one of these small cups of yogurt in a bowl with half a liter milk stirring it to dissolve the yogurt close the bowl and put it away for 6 hours. 

YOGURT MACHINE JUST WARMS UP THE MILK TO 30-33 DEGREES WHICH IS THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN THAILAND. 

19 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Electrical equipment you may be able to buy or just off the shelf items but unfortunately you will, as far as I know, still need cream and buttermilk or yogurt.   To this you add lemon or vinegar ( even balsamic will do ).

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of.  I was hoping there would be some kind of cheat where I'd add milk powder to regular milk to substitute for cream- or something along those lines.

Back in China, I had a buddy who was a former UK chef and he had all kinds of tricks and cheats to make up for the unavailability of so many western ingredients there in China.  Many of those same ingredients are available in Thailand, but often at obnoxious prices.  Like cream...

On an aside, fed up with the ridiculous cost of apple cider vinegar in BKK, I started using pineapple vinegar instead.  Less than half the cost and my homemade pickles are great.

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of.  I was hoping there would be some kind of cheat where I'd add milk powder to regular milk to substitute for cream- or something along those lines.

Back in China, I had a buddy who was a former UK chef and he had all kinds of tricks and cheats to make up for the unavailability of so many western ingredients there in China.  Many of those same ingredients are available in Thailand, but often at obnoxious prices.  Like cream...

On an aside, fed up with the ridiculous cost of apple cider vinegar in BKK, I started using pineapple vinegar instead.  Less than half the cost and my homemade pickles are great.

I'm no cook by any means, I'm just taking up the homemade do it yourself thing as a hobby, pickles sounds like a great idea as well...  I left a batch of yogurt to strain on a cheesecloth overnight and it was actually too thick to eat as yogurt, but it did remind me a bit of sour cream.  Maybe more like a cream cheese?  I think leaving some yogurt to strain for 12-24 hours could be used as a sour cream substitute on for example burritos or potatoes...

If you really want to go through the time, hassle, and mess of making some of the things mentioned above you can buy the REAL cultures in retail sizes from a place like this who will ship to Thailand

https://www.cheesemaking.com/cheeseculturesandmoldpowders.html

International Shipping

We happily ship supplies worldwide on a daily basis and would love to get a package out for you too.

24 minutes ago, tlock said:

I'm no cook by any means, I'm just taking up the homemade do it yourself thing as a hobby, pickles sounds like a great idea as well...  I left a batch of yogurt to strain on a cheesecloth overnight and it was actually too thick to eat as yogurt, but it did remind me a bit of sour cream.  Maybe more like a cream cheese?  I think leaving some yogurt to strain for 12-24 hours could be used as a sour cream substitute on for example burritos or potatoes...

The issue I have with commercial yogurts is the sweetness, even in the plain flavors.  But that may be from added sugars?  Was your strained yogurt sweet?

2 hours ago, sjeng said:

Due to the temperature in Thailand you realy don't need a yogurt making machine.

Just put  put one of these small cups of yogurt in a bowl with half a liter milk stirring it to dissolve the yogurt close the bowl and put it away for 6 hours. 

YOGURT MACHINE JUST WARMS UP THE MILK TO 30-33 DEGREES WHICH IS THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN THAILAND. 

I do  this all the time.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

The issue I have with commercial yogurts is the sweetness, even in the plain flavors.  But that may be from added sugars?  Was your strained yogurt sweet?

I used Meiji both their regular Plain and their Bulgarian- those don't taste too sweet for me in the container, and the yogurt that I made with them were not sweet either.  You could also try straining some commercial yogurt directly, i've done that as well and it turns out greek style.

4 hours ago, tlock said:

I used Meiji both their regular Plain and their Bulgarian- those don't taste too sweet for me in the container, and the yogurt that I made with them were not sweet either.  You could also try straining some commercial yogurt directly, i've done that as well and it turns out greek style.

They're great as Yogurt, but not worth a flip on a baked potato or chips as a sour cream substitute.  Even unsweetened, they're too sweet.

4 hours ago, balo said:

Did you try Yolada ?  The best unsweetened yoghurt produced in Thailand. 

I was eating Yolida for a long time for lack of anything better.

But lately, I've found for me what is a better choice -- Caroline brand Greek Style nonfat, unsweetened yogurt. Comes in white with blue highlights 500 ml tubs that sell at Villa and Foodland for about 125b.

Ingredient list is only 100% pasteurized milk and the cultures. Only 4g of naturally occurring sugar per 150g serving. And the nutrition label confirms 0 grams of fat. I like the taste of this yogurt all by itself, but usually add a teapoon of low-sugar fruit jam for added flavor.

You have to be a bit careful in picking, since Caroline also makes several other similarly packaged versions that either are not fat free or other differences.

AFAIK, I've never seen Yolida produce an unsweetened, fat-free Greek yogurt.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wanna share your recipe/instructions for homemade greek yogurt???

10 hours ago, JLCrab said:

The secret to making Greek-style yogurt in Thailand using any non-sweetened yogurt:

6210000139.jpg

Yeah that's it.  I just strained out the whey with a cheesecloth in a strainer.  On a fresh batch of yogurt that was still warm i strain about 30 mins-hour.  On a pre-refrigerated yogurt maybe closer to 6 hours.  Here's a video of the straining setup: 

for tzatziki i just followed this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20242/tzatziki-sauce/

Again- I'm no expert on this stuff, I was surprised how easy it was.

Archived