SURVEY: Brexit -- Good or Bad Idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit -- a Good or Bad Idea?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, transam said:

Correct, the winner, they out voted the remain and the don't care...Governments are voted in or out in the same way......

Generally they must have a larger majority than the referendum result or it results in a hung parliament, but never mind.

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, 37% of the people.

Well with respect stephenterry, as you and The Grouse haven't yet proposed how you would have increased the vote - from 72% to at least 83.3% of the electorate to satisfy your arguments - maybe 13-million of the electorate DID simply decide to - abstain krub?

We'll never know.

Clearly, Brexit is a fantastic idea. My question remains, what in the hell has happened to the German male? They appear so beaten down with the guilt and shame trip places on them by leftists that they are just handing over their culture and land without a fight or argument.

9 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, 37% of the people.

Really.  How does that work?  So after the votes were counted, only 37% of the votes cast were for Brexit?  And yet Brexit won?  How does that work?   Very interesting, and I'm sure you can support that ...

Oh wait, you're not bloviating about people who didn't even feel strongly enough about it to bother to vote one way or the other, are you?  That would be embarrassingly juvenile, so I'm sure that's not what you're saying.  So what ARE you saying exactly?   Enlighten us.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Generally they must have a larger majority than the referendum result or it results in a hung parliament, but never mind.

Yes, the one with the most seats but not enough must then bribe others to tag along, that is why we have today's government..

8 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Really.  How does that work?  So after the votes were counted, only 37% of the votes cast were for Brexit?  And yet Brexit won?  How does that work?   Very interesting, and I'm sure you can support that ...

Oh wait, you're not bloviating about people who didn't even feel strongly enough about it to bother to vote one way or the other, are you?  That would be embarrassingly juvenile, so I'm sure that's not what you're saying.  So what ARE you saying exactly?   Enlighten us.

Well, I can say your grasp of simple arithmetic is erroneous. Read post 37 for a clearer enlightenment. - and where I'm coming from, which some posters on here cannot grasp. Or is it too difficult to understand that only 37% of the total electorate, i.e. 'the people', voted for Brexit, and which the government decided was enough to enforce article 50. 

Still waiting for a good reason why Brexit is such a fantastic idea... I mean one that compensates for the fall in the value of the pound, the expected job losses, rising prices, educated EU workers leaving the NHS, etcetera.

Personally, I see only one advantage; that it will be cheaper for Europeans from the continent to have a holiday in the UK :smile:

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am not British, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but...

I think that the UK made a terrible decision in leaving the EU. It was a leading member of a very large community that enshrined many of the cultural aspects and values that the UK helped create and holds dear to this day; the right to free speech, the right of religious liberty, the right of free movement, the right of a free press, etc. 

The UK has made itself small. It has made itself small economically. It has made itself small militarily. It has made itself small on the world stage. It has made itself small culturally. I could go on, but the point is made.

Forgive me, but as an outside observer, I see a small majority of the people who voted to look backwards to a "better time", but that time does not and did not exist.

It was a lack of self-confidence in the future. 

It was an act of fear, and a mistake.

Sad days.

Wow,...So well said !!! Respect !!!

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, the one with the most seats but not enough must then bribe others to tag along, that is why we have today's government..

Apart from that, the referendum outcome did not oblige the government and parliament to enforce the result. Not that many politicians would seek to upset their constituents, though, by going against their preferential votes.   

One thing is clear to me. Brexit is about political power and the continuation of that power by the Tory government. It's nothing to do with 'What's best for Britain' but 'What's in it for me?'

A jaundiced and cynical view supported by the constant infighting within the Tory cabinet.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

Apart from that, the referendum outcome did not oblige the government and parliament to enforce the result. Not that many politicians would seek to upset their constituents, though, by going against their preferential votes.   

One thing is clear to me. Brexit is about political power and the continuation of that power by the Tory government. It's nothing to do with 'What's best for Britain' but 'What's in it for me?'

A jaundiced and cynical view supported by the constant infighting within the Tory cabinet.

Heeey, any party does that stuff........UK folk voted from all political persuasions.....You may not like the outcome but a substantial majority made a statement...

8 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Still waiting for a good reason why Brexit is such a fantastic idea... I mean one that compensates for the fall in the value of the pound, the expected job losses, rising prices, educated EU workers leaving the NHS, etcetera.

Personally, I see only one advantage; that it will be cheaper for Europeans from the continent to have a holiday in the UK :smile:

Domt forget cheaper for them to buy houses in the Uk, who cares about the housing crisis when we get to scrap pesky things like workers rights.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Domt forget cheaper for them to buy houses in the Uk, who cares about the housing crisis when we get to scrap pesky things like workers rights.

Apart from Yingluck maybe, which foreigner would want to buy a house in xenophobic Little England?

7 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Well, I can say your grasp of simple arithmetic is erroneous. Read post 37 for a clearer enlightenment. - and where I'm coming from, which some posters on here cannot grasp. Or is it too difficult to understand that only 37% of the total electorate, i.e. 'the people', voted for Brexit, and which the government decided was enough to enforce article 50. 

And the vast majority of the 28.2% of eligible voters didn't care enough to vote, so their opinions didn't count. That leaves 51.8% of the people who cared enough to vote telling the government to get us out. Huge turnout, absolute majority vote for brexit. Spectacular! And our first opportunity to vote on membership of a club in which we were enrolled illegally, and kept well and truly in the dark about by the governments of the day in the 1970s. And the government running the last referendum ran a huge anti-leave scaremongering campaign. I'd call the brexit vote a resounding win for democracy, and brexit.

7 hours ago, Credo said:

It seemed like a good idea, but in hindsight, I think it would be better for the UK to have stayed in the EU.   

It never was a good idea. UK belongs to and in Europe and can only flourish there. The Brexit was an idea of people who have learnt nothing from history, know nothing about economics and misleading the population with misinformation and  fear mongering.

2 minutes ago, marginline said:

That depends. Would you be able to provide more details please Expat68? :sleep:

I will not mention the country I was In or what sporting event I was attending. The competitor from there own country won the race, the british competitor who was favourite to win the event finished nearly last. The entire grandstand  which was 95% home support booed and through things at the british competitor. To this day I do not understand and will never like this country in Europe, they only backed up what many people told me many times, they hate the british people

1 minute ago, abrahamzvi said:

It never was a good idea. UK belongs to and in Europe and can only flourish there. The Brexit was an idea of people who have learnt nothing from history, know nothing about economics and misleading the population with misinformation and  fear mongering.

:shock1:

The UK belongs to Europe, does it? Interesting. I assume you have some historical evidence for this?

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Heeey, any party does that stuff........UK folk voted from all political persuasions.....You may not like the outcome but a substantial majority made a statement...

Curiously transam, after reading stephenterry rebuke a member of this forum about his arithmatic, I am beginning to wonder whether or not he would have been so vociferous, had the vote been to - remain?
All I'm hearing repeatedly as his argument is 37%, 37%, 37%!
So, I'm starting to conclude therefore that this may just simply be a case of - empty vessels make the most noise.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Europe will retain their prerogative of preventing war, to move those war machine factories onto the mainland along side the other parts of those companies increases their chances of the UK developing their own independent war machine manufactures and thus being capable of going to war with Europe again, they won't let it happen, although they may lose some jobs.

I must nominate the above post for the TV GOTYA 2017! (Gibberish Of The Year Award):crazy:

Archived