LOS......?

Charlescheap

The feed back i am getting from old school LOS residents is the place is going down hill fast, different opinions from the newbies, guess the old timers would know best,whats changed ? The prices of course, but can it really be on such a decline ?? I had a blast living in the country during the early 90,s, cheap beer, woman, etc etc.......Where did it all go wrong/right ??? Interested on others views of the place,please state how many years living in the country......Chock Dee.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at other threads, people will complain about a milk bottle or bread rising 1 Baht like it is the end of the world. Happens everywhere. 

Drinks, I don't drink, but like every country eventually taxes are put on them to help deal with the public health issues they cause.

Politics, whether I agree with what's happening or not, personally events over the last few years have significantly improved my community and the family (got lucky). Of course, others will be different. 

Compared to my country, everyday things are cheap depending on how someone wants to live. Just the odd special things are not great. For example, the new car seat for the little one I just bought.

'Old timers', if going off this forum, have little idea of anything as they seem to live an incredibly restricted life - something increasing 1 Baht just may be the highlight of their year. Are so selfish and out to exploit, they will complain if the country moves forward even a tiny bit as it doesn't suit their very exact needs. Want more than what they can afford it seems.

Not having to pay for a 25 million baht house and high living costs back home, I would say my 2 years here and future isn't all that bad. Of course, find a Mrs who works and your spending doubles and have a free place to live. That's maybe the difference, 'newbies' end up with educated/professional women. 'Old timers' are with a generation of women who didn't get the same opportunities so have to fork out for for a house, monthly spending, car, paying the family bla bla. Everyone will of course see it differently.

While it's true some of the more mature crowd has hooked up with  women who did not have the best of opportunities, watch out for THEIR daughters.

It is also true that some of us did not spend our 20's and 30's in low paying jobs in Thailand but in high-paying jobs in Farangland such that shelling out money now for various monthly expenses including school and all for the daughters is no big deal.

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

It is also true that some of us did not spend our 20's and 30's in low paying jobs in Thailand but in high-paying jobs in Farangland such that shelling out money now for various monthly expenses including school and all for the daughters is no big deal.

Something I used to 100% ignorantly agreed with. A Thai way of thinking if you like. But then I moved here and also joined this forum. Everyone seems quite a bit stressed and have big complaints about the exchange rate and one or two Baht increases in food. One salary of not all that much with further expenses that shouldn't necessarily be there now would probably do that regardless of how much someone earned 30-40 years ago. 

It isn't a matter of what you earned 30 or 40 years ago but what you have in your bank account right now. Also, if you ever had to repatriate and get a job in your homeland, what would your CV at age 30 look like. Mine at age 30+ was working on offshore oil and gas exploration projects where USD 100 million was a rounding error.

The country is not in decline, its changing sure and maturing, maybe, but the changes I have seen, coming here for 40 years, is all  good and positive.   I now live here and I find it much more stress free than the UK. If drink and girls are the only criteria that some use for judging a country and its attractions, then they  are a very poor measure and the person is doomed to disappointment as they age. . 

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The country is not in decline, its changing sure and maturing, maybe, but the changes I have seen, coming here for 40 years, is all  good and positive.   I now live here and I find it much more stress free than the UK. If drink and girls are the only criteria that some use for judging a country and its attractions, then they  are a very poor measure and the person is doomed to disappointment as they age. . 

There's more to my village than just drinking piss all day .. :burp:

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

It isn't a matter of what you earned 30 or 40 years ago but what you have in your bank account right now. Also, if you ever had to repatriate and get a job in your homeland, what would your CV at age 30 look like. Mine at age 30+ was working on offshore oil and gas exploration projects where USD 100 million was a rounding error.

What's in your bank account, not always, but usually depends on your earnings through life. That is all well and good for you, doesn't seem the norm for old timers on this forum though. 

Still going with the insecurities? CV? Working overseas is usually looked upon positively as there is no age restrictions for work back home like in Thai.

Just don't pm me about the insecurities this time around lol. Time to walk the dogs. 

Working overseas as a paper-shuffling government clerk I guess would go far. And you said to PM you and I did so when you kept on noting how bored I must be with my life. You better hope that one day your extended Thai family doesn't lose their jobs in some minor purge and you would be left with zip

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Girls are very important to measure this country. You sound a tat hypocritical IMHO.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

If drink and girls are the only criteria that some use for judging a country and its attractions, then they  are a very poor measure and the person is doomed to disappointment as they age. . 

Girls and drink ........... life isn't much fun without them.

Most of my disappointments were when I was younger and didn't have them.

At 60+ I'm still having a great time, not much time left to fit in disappointment.

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

What's in your bank account, not always, but usually depends on your earnings through life. 

More to do with what you have left after your western divorce.

I could have earned a lot less, and had a lot more, if not for the white female feeding off me.

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Working overseas as a paper-shuffling government clerk I guess would go far. And you said to PM you and I did so when you kept on noting how bored I must be with my life. You better hope that one day your extended Thai family doesn't lose their jobs in some minor purge and you would be left with zip

From memory, you asked me about Thai language, I said it isn't relevant to the original thread, private message me about it. Then you went on a rant about your life, not one mention of language. I even had to tell you to not worry about it, it is just a forum. If you want some closer connection with me, just tell me, we can go from there lol. Again, PM me if you want, but specifically about what I just said this time, not another rant. 

My PM rant was so you stop this BS that I must be bored. I am about the least bored person you'll meet here in Thailand. And why don't you stop the repeated rants about what older persons here in Thailand do to get by whether they are well funded or not. Not everyone married a Thai bureaucrat and they do what can even if that means underwriting the expenses for a Thai female partner without her contributing 50 satang each month to the the household expenses

Why does that seem to create a problem for you?

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, Pilotman said:

Depends on your definition of decline. If measured by the amount of sanook, LOS has seriously declined. Not much sanook or smiles around now.

If one means by wealth, there is more wealth in LOS, but in the hands of few. Most just get by.

If one means development, there is more concrete, but less beautiful, natural beaches.

If one means cost of living, if like a poor Thai, not much change at all, but expensive options have entered the country that were not there 20 or 30 years ago.

If one wants to live like a rich westerner, very expensive.

If one means by ease of remaining in LOS, the country has seriously declined in the past 30 years.

The feed back i am getting from old school LOS residents is the place is going down hill fast, different opinions from the newbies, guess the old timers would know best,whats changed ? The prices of course, but can it really be on such a decline ?? I had a blast living in the country during the early 90,s, cheap beer, woman, etc etc.......Where did it all go wrong/right ??? Interested on others views of the place,please state how many years living in the country..

The women and the drink got expensive, cost of living if like a poor Thai almost the same in baht.

Most nice beaches ruined by concrete and resorts

The smile departed long ago

The sanook is almost gone

Too many crackdowns

The cons are just as bad and nothing is done to stop them, while wanting to fine tourists 100,000 baht and a year in jail for smoking on the beach! Just barking.

More difficult to stay long time in LOS.

Too many cars on the roads, and many drive like idiots.

Not all bad. The railway lines were mostly replaced a while back and baht buses in Pattaya are still 10 baht on the fixed route.

Only takes 2 hours from Ekamai to Pattaya now. Bus ticket is 110 ( I think ) now, so not gone up much.

Visiting and living in LOS on and off since 1970s.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Something I used to 100% ignorantly agreed with. A Thai way of thinking if you like. But then I moved here and also joined this forum. Everyone seems quite a bit stressed and have big complaints about the exchange rate and one or two Baht increases in food. One salary of not all that much with further expenses that shouldn't necessarily be there now would probably do that regardless of how much someone earned 30-40 years ago. 

Most of us have big annoyances in life that we can do nothing about, like conforming to the ever more burdensome regulations to stay in LOS, so we take out our frustrations on the smaller things like increases in food prices when our income is fixed and wasn't enough anyway.

One can still enjoy living in LOS even if one doesn't eat at Dukes, or buy 5 million baht condos.

I just appreciate that I can have a better life here for the same money as back home, and it is never cold.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most of us have big annoyances in life that we can do nothing about, like conforming to the ever more burdensome regulations to stay in LOS, so we take out our frustrations on the smaller things like increases in food prices when our income is fixed and wasn't enough anyway.

One can still enjoy living in LOS even if one doesn't eat at Dukes, or buy 5 million baht condos.

I just appreciate that I can have a better life here for the same money as back home, and it is never cold.

Last paragraph of your comment is good to read. If people looked at it more simply and realistically (as you did in this instance), maybe the constant complaining about exchange rates, food prices, bills, paying people wouldn't be there. Live in reality rather than a dream world, as the places they live aren't as poor as they thought.

Or maybe I'll be exactly the same in 30 years. Let's hope not lol 

On 15/10/2017 at 12:38 PM, JLCrab said:

My PM rant was so you stop this BS that I must be bored. I am about the least bored person you'll meet here in Thailand. And why don't you stop the repeated rants about what older persons here in Thailand do to get by whether they are well funded or not. Not everyone married a Thai bureaucrat and they do what can even if that means underwriting the expenses for a Thai female partner without her contributing 50 satang each month to the the household expenses

Why does that seem to create a problem for you?

I was under the impression that was  all just a bit of fun. That your comments about my family held no substance, so I trolled you a little bit back.

I do apologise if you took that so personally that you botherted to PM me though. A little hypocritical after the shit you continually go on with but happy for us to forget about it and move on :)

On 15/10/2017 at 1:28 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of your points by your own admissions I think it is you who needs to see it from others eyes regarding expenses. I'm not old ir on a fixed income but I'm sure if you are and your finances are being squashed then pennies count. A free house would surely cover the cracks. You are lucky.

28 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of your points by your own admissions I think it is you who needs to see it from others eyes regarding expenses. I'm not old ir on a fixed income but I'm sure if you are and your finances are being squashed then pennies count. A free house would surely cover the cracks. You are lucky.

I just assume people forward plan. If something cannot be achieved due to finances then it probably should not be attempted. But I recognise being overly logical is a weakness of mine. 

On 15.10.2017 at 2:39 AM, Pilotman said:

Of course, Thailand has so much more to offer than just girls and booze: There are things like:

- A climate resembling a finnish sauna from April to October.
- A Farang friendly visa-situation (sending a TM 30 to Immi, having stayed at a friends house overnight.)
- A friendly police force, having the safety and the well-being of the populace on their mind (only).
- A legal system beyond reproach. (Property rights for foreighners assured by "iron-clad" legislation.)
- A national health insurance scheme, even covering Farangs up to the age of 103 1/2.
- Freedom of speach as a cultural inheritage and firmly entrenched.
- Safe commute on Thai streets at all times.
- Power outages, regular floodings as a means to break the monotiny of daily life.

Next to those major advantages mentioned above, there are other minor advantages (but hardly ever mentioned):
- Cost of living is about 1/3rd, compared to home-country. (Blimey!)
- With relative ease, a Thai-Girlfriend can be convinced to become a "wifey". (Blimey).
Cheers.
PS: Catering much less to "Girls and Booze" these days, I find central Europe a very nice place to live during spring, summer and fall. It's just the winters that "suck".

On 15.10.2017 at 2:51 AM, steven100 said:

There's more to my village than just drinking piss all day .. :burp:

More power to you. Incorporated in a harmonious family-life. If that were not the case, what would you be doing in the Thai- Sticks on your own, outside of drinking piss all day?

Cheers.

Getting back to the topic. As long as people have a realistic approach and not a fantasy approach that they see on television, I think the country has a lot to offer. 

Coming from a country with warm weather anyway, the weather here is a non issue but I can see it being a wonderful thing for many. The laid back lifestyle can be enjoyable if that suits you. And there is a lot of flexibility to have things your own way. One thing I do enjoy over back home. The other is the police not bothering you all that much on the roads and no restrictions on dog breeds that I want to own. 

24 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Getting back to the topic. As long as people have a realistic approach and not a fantasy approach that they see on television, I think the country has a lot to offer. 

Coming from a country with warm weather anyway, the weather here is a non issue but I can see it being a wonderful thing for many. The laid back lifestyle can be enjoyable if that suits you. And there is a lot of flexibility to have things your own way. One thing I do enjoy over back home. The other is the police not bothering you all that much on the roads and no restrictions on dog breeds that I want to own. 

If not for the women, its only the beaches which are attractive. But not worth a 12 hour flight !

6 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

If not for the women, its only the beaches which are attractive. But not worth a 12 hour flight !

In terms of just fun, there is generally quite large Thai communities back in farang land. Haven't quite made it in Thai so they try and work Western countries for a few years at a time. Depends on what type of women people are looking for I guess. 

Archived