LOS......?

Charlescheap

I started learning Chinese almost 50 years ago and several other Asian languages before learning Thai. My finances were such that I could stop any regular job in the USA early on and I got tired of people asking What-do-you-do? or why I wasn't at work today or why I could take off and travel in Asia for weeks or months at a time.

In Thailand nobody much bothers me and nothing except howling dogs about which to complain. Which is why I like it here. Some people like to talk about cheap sex in Thailand. Expensive sex in Thailand is nice, too.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the days ( or should i say early mornings ) when i could stumble into the Nana disco or the Thermae and leave with a little cutey or two,the stable rate then was 500 baht, or the purple persuader as we used to call it, long gone those days i,m sure, in my experiences when you paid the girls less the more they liked you,almost as if you had more in common with them.....Great memories. 

Yes i have had those times, although not in Thailand,  freebies in LOS yes many times back in the day,,however once you move to first world countries in SEA and the girls are earning considerably more then yes i have received gifts and cash on occasions during my early 20,s.....  Being the only Farang barman in the nightclub helped the cause no doubt......When you work side by side with these girls things get a little different....you are no longer a customer..........Just like the way the girls sneak off to the Thai Karaokes to buy the boys drinks and pay them for sex,,,,same kind of deal..........It happens.

Yes the English was limited then, my friend you,your friend me,that kind of thing,still the same in the local bars I'm sure, go to the golden mile in Singapore and your lucky to find a girl who can speak a sentence of English, it was quite nice at least for me,i managed to master enough Thai to be bar conversant,trying to watch and understand the news was a different story..    Thats when you have really mastered the language ,the girls i worked with mostly spoke Some English,they had to really.....

17 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I started to coming to Thailand 30 years ago and with the girls I met there were no freebies especially since they usually only dealt with Thai men and didn't speak any English.

You were obviously far less hansum than the guy getting free ones.

I am so ugly I never got free ones from English girls, let alone foreign women.

Don't get me wrong the days of getting the freebies etc have long gone as far as the bargirls go, but yes there was not so many young guys about then,so it happened, probably still does........Good luck to them.     Kind of natural really.....And yes i was a handsum bugger if i don't say so myself ?

Not a bad problem to have my friend, when i met my wife we were both pretty broke, i can truely say she didnt marry me for the cash, i did have that passport though,i still ponder over how much that was a factor, the overseas dream......Well it didnt happen, i moved to her country ,set up a little business n fortunately it all worked out.......Its difficult to leave SEA........And who can blame us..

Demographics, and other socio economic factors have made Thailand less attractive for men looking for a 'sweet young thing'. Social media has made foreigners seem less exotic to Thais, as well as vice versa.

The weather has become more extreme, swinging more often from droughts to flooding. The frequency of jelly fish blooms seems to be increasing. Thailand appears to be struggling to cope with climate change.

The economy has underperformed in the past several years, and there is a lot of political uncertainty which has not helped the mood of the populace.

Thailand and its people still holds considerable charm and mystery, but more effort is needed to draw it out. Gone are the days, if they ever really existed, where people continue to smile despite encountering a scowl.

The explosion of civic activities (flower planting, monument building, art works, singing, vigils, testimonials, donations, volunteer activities, religious ceremonies, and preparations for the funeral of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej and genuine outpouring of love for him is truly moving and shows that the Thai spirit is very much alive.

First visit to Thailand '86; moved here 2003, have studied Thai since '94.

16 minutes ago, Charlescheap said:

I am the opposite, without a wife or partner in this environment it would spell the end...almost did......With my nature i need someone to help me keep my feet of the gas, absolutely useless on my own,,,,,,,Rudderless,,,,,,,,,aren't most men ?

Most? Maybe. Not all.

... and no wife is as open-minded as no wife at all.

Well all in all Thailand still seems like one of the best countries to live in SEA, its modern enough n still reasonably cheap enough by the sounds of it, serious due diligence when buying or building property,careful of the BIB,and watch out for any girl with 6 inch heels and big toes........Place still sounds like a winner......Long may it continue.....  Cheers stay safe all,,,,,   Off for a Bintang.

Funny those saying the thai smile has gone. Remember every action has a reaction, when the old timers first arrived here they couldn't believe it, just walked around with a stupid fat grin and guess what?.. Yup they got the thai smile

Fast forward 10 years and you can see them walking around with a grim look, totally jaded and guess what?
Yup [emoji22]

Yep like a old friend once told me, the things you first loved in Thailand you will end up hating,he was referring to the bar scene,a Pattaya man through and through, i have to agree with him to a extent,a lot who have been burnt end up that way, not all but many........I try to avoid the negative crew......It is what it is.......Keep Smiling..........

19 hours ago, swissie said:

Of course, Thailand has so much more to offer than just girls and booze: There are things like:

- A climate resembling a finnish sauna from April to October.
- A Farang friendly visa-situation (sending a TM 30 to Immi, having stayed at a friends house overnight.)
- A friendly police force, having the safety and the well-being of the populace on their mind (only).
- A legal system beyond reproach. (Property rights for foreighners assured by "iron-clad" legislation.)
- A national health insurance scheme, even covering Farangs up to the age of 103 1/2.
- Freedom of speach as a cultural inheritage and firmly entrenched.
- Safe commute on Thai streets at all times.
- Power outages, regular floodings as a means to break the monotiny of daily life.

Next to those major advantages mentioned above, there are other minor advantages (but hardly ever mentioned):
- Cost of living is about 1/3rd, compared to home-country. (Blimey!)
- With relative ease, a Thai-Girlfriend can be convinced to become a "wifey". (Blimey).
Cheers.
PS: Catering much less to "Girls and Booze" these days, I find central Europe a very nice place to live during spring, summer and fall. It's just the winters that "suck".

No idea what this is all about.  

On 17/10/2017 at 2:37 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on your definition of decline. If measured by the amount of sanook, LOS has seriously declined. Not much sanook or smiles around now.

If one means by wealth, there is more wealth in LOS, but in the hands of few. Most just get by.

If one means development, there is more concrete, but less beautiful, natural beaches.

If one means cost of living, if like a poor Thai, not much change at all, but expensive options have entered the country that were not there 20 or 30 years ago.

If one wants to live like a rich westerner, very expensive.

If one means by ease of remaining in LOS, the country has seriously declined in the past 30 years.

The feed back i am getting from old school LOS residents is the place is going down hill fast, different opinions from the newbies, guess the old timers would know best,whats changed ? The prices of course, but can it really be on such a decline ?? I had a blast living in the country during the early 90,s, cheap beer, woman, etc etc.......Where did it all go wrong/right ??? Interested on others views of the place,please state how many years living in the country..

The women and the drink got expensive, cost of living if like a poor Thai almost the same in baht.

Most nice beaches ruined by concrete and resorts

The smile departed long ago

The sanook is almost gone

Too many crackdowns

The cons are just as bad and nothing is done to stop them, while wanting to fine tourists 100,000 baht and a year in jail for smoking on the beach! Just barking.

More difficult to stay long time in LOS.

Too many cars on the roads, and many drive like idiots.

Not all bad. The railway lines were mostly replaced a while back and baht buses in Pattaya are still 10 baht on the fixed route.

Only takes 2 hours from Ekamai to Pattaya now. Bus ticket is 110 ( I think ) now, so not gone up much.

Visiting and living in LOS on and off since 1970s.

I could name at least a dozen countries, some in the west, that meet all of your list. LOS is no better or worse, than many. 

On 10/17/2017 at 2:37 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on your definition of decline. If measured by the amount of sanook, LOS has seriously declined. Not much sanook or smiles around now.

If one means by wealth, there is more wealth in LOS, but in the hands of few. Most just get by.

If one means development, there is more concrete, but less beautiful, natural beaches.

If one means cost of living, if like a poor Thai, not much change at all, but expensive options have entered the country that were not there 20 or 30 years ago.

If one wants to live like a rich westerner, very expensive.

If one means by ease of remaining in LOS, the country has seriously declined in the past 30 years.

The feed back i am getting from old school LOS residents is the place is going down hill fast, different opinions from the newbies, guess the old timers would know best,whats changed ? The prices of course, but can it really be on such a decline ?? I had a blast living in the country during the early 90,s, cheap beer, woman, etc etc.......Where did it all go wrong/right ??? Interested on others views of the place,please state how many years living in the country..

The women and the drink got expensive, cost of living if like a poor Thai almost the same in baht.

Most nice beaches ruined by concrete and resorts

The smile departed long ago

The sanook is almost gone

Too many crackdowns

The cons are just as bad and nothing is done to stop them, while wanting to fine tourists 100,000 baht and a year in jail for smoking on the beach! Just barking.

More difficult to stay long time in LOS.

Too many cars on the roads, and many drive like idiots.

Not all bad. The railway lines were mostly replaced a while back and baht buses in Pattaya are still 10 baht on the fixed route.

Only takes 2 hours from Ekamai to Pattaya now. Bus ticket is 110 ( I think ) now, so not gone up much.

Visiting and living in LOS on and off since 1970s.

It's all true. If I were starting again today, it would be in the Philippines.

Unfortunately, I'm not free to choose any more.

15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Funny those saying the thai smile has gone. Remember every action has a reaction, when the old timers first arrived here they couldn't believe it, just walked around with a stupid fat grin and guess what?.. Yup they got the thai smile

Fast forward 10 years and you can see them walking around with a grim look, totally jaded and guess what?
Yup emoji22.png

No, I look just like that every time I visit the Philippines.

I haven't changed much, Thailand has changed a lot.

Been living here 10 years, can't understand all the deniers saying 'it's the same' cos it isn't.

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Been living here 10 years, can't understand all the deniers saying 'it's the same' cos it isn't.

It's been changing for decades. Some things are better and some are worse. For entertainment and foreign food, it is WAY better than 30 years ago. Not so much for nighttime entertainment.

Archived