Higher spending by people in Vegetarian Festival Oct 20-28

rooster59

Higher spending by people in Vegetarian Festival Oct 20-28

Vegetrain-fest_14oct17.jpg

The vegetarian festival this year is expected to see more people observing the festival and higher spending than the previous year.

According to a survey by the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce, the Thai Vegetarian Festival which will run from October 20-28 will be more active as people will observe the festival as a merit-making for the beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

A survey by the university’s  Center for Economic and Business Forecasting (CEBF) shows that 36.5% of people asked said they will exclude meat and eat vegetarian food throughout the festival, increasing from 35.5% in 2017.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/higher-spending-people-vegetarian-festival-oct-20-28/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-15

Not surprised, the Wife bought Potatoes,onions,and carrots.@ 40 THB per Kg

yesterday,the local market is expensive,but could not get to Makro where they

are cheaper ,but still expensive for what they are.

regards worgeordie

Thai vegetarian festival expects record spending

By Suphanida Thakral

640x640 (3).jpg

People shop for vegetarian food at a market in Chinatown Bangkok, Thailand, October 19, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's annual vegetarian festival began on Friday with record spending expected from Thais abstaining from meat-heavy diets to earn spiritual credit during the year-long mourning period for the late king.

Tiny yellow flags fluttered over shops and stalls in Bangkok's Chinatown to show those with vegetarian-friendly dishes. The festival is particularly popular among Thai Chinese.

Spending on food, transport and donations to Buddhist temples to 'make merit' during the festival was expected to reach 45 billion baht ($1.4 billion), the highest since estimates began 10 years ago, the Thai Chamber of Commerce said

"Many Thais wish to commemorate the late King Rama 9 through taking part in the festival," Thanawat Polwichai, Director of the Center of Economic and Business Forecasting told Reuters.

Thailand's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, whose official title was Rama 9, died on Oct. 13 last year. The official mourning period ends after his cremation next week.

"Normally I don’t take part in the vegetarian festival but this year I planned to, mainly due to health reasons, but also because I wanted to make merit and pay respects to King Rama 9," said Nopawan Wattanawanna, 40, in a Chinatown tea shop.

Adherents of the festival believe nine gods descend during the period to judge people's deeds. People who abstain from eating meat, drinking alcohol and sinful behavior will be blessed.

In Chinatown, a big majority of food sellers had transformed their menus to serve delicacies made from meat substitutes and soy protein.

Thailand's Food and Drug Administration said, however, that it had found traces of animal DNA in three of 71 samples of meat substitute it had tested. It was still waiting for results from seven others.

The festival began over 150 years ago on the popular tourist island of Phuket some 840 km (520 miles) south of Bangkok.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-21

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand's Food and Drug Administration said, however, that it had found traces of animal DNA in three of 71 samples of meat substitute it had tested. It was still waiting for results from seven others.

Ah huh...

At 74 years young, I became vegan (no meat, no dairy, no eggs) last January due simply to health issues. My kidney function was declining into dangerous territory. After 3 months my kidneys were fully restored to normal function and my BP was 110/70 with Cholesterol well under 200. BTW, I love meat and am not trying to "save the planet" or the animals, but simply want to be healthy and live longer. I take NO medications and exercise 3-4 times /week. Life is healthier without meat and I don't miss it at all. Do your own research. YouTube is full of videos showing the research linking animal protein and saturated fat with sickness and disease.

Archived