New unedited footage shows British pensioner taking machete swipe at Thai man

rooster59

There are two cars queuing in the right hand lane to turn right.  The Brio comes from the left hand lane and dangerously pushes in to turn right at the same time as the Brit is turning.  Then the Brio overtakes the Brit.  The Brit then tries to overtake but the Brio moves into the oncoming lane to block him, then drives very slowly blocking the road for all.  Finally he stops his car completely forcing the Brit and the car behind him to to pull up sharp. The other car then overtakes and disappears but the Brit immediately goes to the back of his car to get his machete and the first on foot incident ensues. 

Up until this point the red headed Thai punk is totally to blame.  He probably thought he was on a safe wicket confronting an elderly farang who was unlikely to be armed and got a nasty surprise.  Not all farangs are what they seem and the Thai was lucky to avoid serious injury or death, not that I condone the Brit's actions.

Personally I think they should both have their licences revoked for life.   Although provoked the Brit deserves to do some time for assault with a deadly weapon and/or attempted murder and the Thai should be do less time for assault which could easily have ended in death and could also be charged with attempted death.  Probably nothing much will happen to either and certainly not to the Thai driver who only needs to deliver a couple of gold bracelets to the police mia nois.

Incredible to think the Thai punk was quite happy to provoke a potentially fatal confrontation and get out of his car to fight with his wife and baby in the car.   Both have sh*t for brains.                   

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are both as stupid as each other because they both drove like idiots that endangered other road uses safety and then they both committed life threatening offenses against each other. I do not believe that the Thai guy should receive a lesser sentence to that of the Brit, they were both as bad as each other. I do not believe that the Brit be deported because the Thai cannot be deported so I feel that the deportation would be an unfair penalty but prison time of the same amount I would agree with as being fair.

58 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The interpretation of laws and how they apply whether one is in Thailand or another country depends upon how a judge views what happened.  If a jury was involved- lawyers would make their case and the jury would decide. However, in Thailand -there is no jury.  The prosecutor will portray the incidents in one way and the defense will attempt to mitigate. It is the judge who will decide  how the law applies and from what I have seen there can be different interpretations of the law depending on who is the judge.  IMHO- the sure way to avoid a jail term for either party is to sit down and negotiate a settlement.

This thai guy is not going to settle. 

This brit looks like a hard working 77 year old man that tried to drive to school to pick up his daughter. 

Unfortunately he was blocked in and prevented from leaving. What a crap lawyer you would be suggesting the innocent man confess and pay up for a light sentence. This guy will go to prison for years like the mushroom pickers. The best defense is the offence. Colin needs to get a lawyer to file a new charge of dangerous driving and restricting the liberty of a person under section 310 of the criminal code. 

Get the playing field even. 

Then talk settlements. 

FritsSikkink

Problem with your assumption is that the Brit did not attack the Thai guy with the machete, he attacked the car which is causing damage to property

If this case happened in Australia there would be charges of breaches to the road rules laid against the Thai guy for his driving(passing on the left hand side of turning traffic, unsafe overtaking, causing obstruction to traffic) then the Brit would be charged with causing damage to the Thai guys car and depending on what can be proved assault with a vehicle or possibly the Thai guy could be charge with attempted assault if it was his intention to bash the Brit before he could get clear, they the Thai guy would be charged with the coward punch which was done in front of the police officer which under Australian law carries a minimum 5 years prison. Then as the Thai has been sentenced to over 12 months prison Australian Immigration would be notified and the Thai's visa would be cancelled and he would be deported when his sentence was completed.

Unfortunately with this case we do not know what was going through either of the guys heads but they are both equally to blame for this incident and they should both receive the same sentence

29 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

They are both as stupid as each other because they both drove like idiots that endangered other road uses safety and then they both committed life threatening offenses against each other. I do not believe that the Thai guy should receive a lesser sentence to that of the Brit, they were both as bad as each other. I do not believe that the Brit be deported because the Thai cannot be deported so I feel that the deportation would be an unfair penalty but prison time of the same amount I would agree with as being fair.

I am not sure this is something a judge would order deportation for, although, if he is convicted of attempted murder, this would be quite possible, if he were still alive after finishing his stretch.   Unfortunately the fact that a Thai cannot be deported is not relevant.  Foreigners in most countries are liable to deportation and blacklisting, if convicted of a serious crime.

The US deports a number of foreign convicts every year who left their birth countries when they were too young to remember anything about them and often can't speak the language.  Cambodia has a community of these non-Khmer speaking deportees who were members of US gangs.  California has a prison bus that drives Mexicans, who have just finished their stretches, over the border to Tijuana twice a month.  Many have no family to take them in and just hang out near the wall where the bus drops them off, committing assaults and other crimes to get money to buy drugs.  I have seen their syringes on the Mexican side of the wall.  You need to take care not to step on them, if you go for a walk near the Ocean there.  The wall actually extends into the ocean at Tijuana.     

The Brit may be all of the things good or bad that posters have indicated. However, there would have been no confrontation if he Brit simply stopped his vehicle at some point and allowed the Thai to go about his business.  Remember, this is Thailand and Thais are going to look at the evidence and statements made.  No one knows how it will end if it goes to court. however, during a negotiation- there is always a way to settle an issue.  Yes, it is going to cost the Brit money or he can take his chance on going to court- be convicted; jailed and I  am certain if that is the case- he will have to leave Thailand. He should be looking for a Thai lawyer from a big name law firm in Bangkok to start working his case. The Thai is the owner of a gold shop and not only has money- he most likely has 'friends'.

I might guess that the Thai guy is also taking a big business risk because what farang is going to go and buy their Thai girlfriends or wives gold presents from his shop.

I know that this whole thing is causing problems for other farangs and even some Thai businesses because I am Australian and I have been abused and threatened by young Thai's on Saturday that my Thai wife has closed her business and sacked 8 workers and reported the threats that she witnessed to the police. Some of this has been caused by the misreporting that the farang was an Australian

Just out of interest what do people believe the outcome would have been if the Brit hadn't produced his machete? I'm guessing (from the way the brio was being driven) that he would have had his car kicked in and been assaulted quite badly himself. Lots of road rage in this event with nobody coming out of it smelling of roses.

4 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Just out of interest what do people believe the outcome would have been if the Brit hadn't produced his machete? I'm guessing (from the way the brio was being driven) that he would have had his car kicked in and been assaulted quite badly himself. Lots of road rage in this event with nobody coming out of it smelling of roses.

Yup, the machete-wielding action was the game-changer...

Thaidream

Your thoughts are good but impractical. I speak from experience and losing a substantial amount of money following just what you are proposing.

Firstly, it is a Pattaya case. Which means Pattaya police, Pattaya prosecutors, Pattaya judges and lawyers. The Judge and prosecutor can be actually ' hostile ' towards Bangkok big name lawyers viewing them as basically ' Smartasses ' coming down here telling us the law. I have seen it!

Next those on here with views of highly charged courtroom dramas with accusations back and forth- forget it. It does not happen.

Everything is conducted very politely and no confrontation between lawyer and prosecutor. Remember, they are both Pattaya, they eat at the same noodle stalls and visit the same Karaoke joints as do the Police. They don't and won't perform loss of face statements in a courtroom.

Once the prosecutor has made his case and called prosecution witnesses, he usually does not even bother attending court to cross examine the defence- this is often done only by the Judge himself.

It is alien and unlike anything we see in the West. The Judge will see the weapon and the assault with rhe vehicle and of course the retaliation from the Thai. It is very likely he will show leniency towards the Thai man, if indeed the Thai is charged; for losing his temper based on video evidence.

Way too much emphasis is being placed on the actual driving here. It is commonplace every day in Thailand, undertaking and overtaking and sharp braking. The Judge will see this as normal traffic flow in THAILAND.

All these people saying this coward punch and' he said she said' driving faults is balanced out by attacking a car with a machete, threatening with a machete and hurling the guy in the air using a car as a weapon are living in cuckooland.

There is one way out. Police as mediators, ( we know what that means! ) An apology and offer to pay for car damage and for the Thai guys 'loss of face ' and injury.

It is the smart move and will be cheaper than a court case in a lot more ways than one!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Scouse- I agree with everything you say and your analysis.  Any lawyer chosen by the Brit must be local for the reasons you so well stated.  My mindset was that a Bangkok lawyer from a large firm may have an 'in' with the prosecutor but as you stated -they would not be on a first name basis with the locals in Pattaya.  I believe we agree on the negotiation which must be done with the police and the parties involved. To me,   the circumstances have to be judged by what Thais would deem reasonable actions and not what Westerners deem reasonable.  I just don't see how the Brit has a chance to prevail in this case whether it goes to court or settled by the police.

My Thai family has seen the video and the story is prominent on Thai TV and social media and almost universally- they all feel the Brit is mostly responsible. They all feel the Brit needs to negotiate and be prepared to pay a lot.

28 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

There are two cars queuing in the right hand lane to turn right.  The Brio comes from the left hand lane and dangerously pushes in to turn right at the same time as the Brit is turning.  Then the Brio overtakes the Brit.  The Brit then tries to overtake but the Brio moves into the oncoming lane to block him, then drives very slowly blocking the road for all.  Finally he stops his car completely forcing the Brit and the car behind him to to pull up sharp. The other car then overtakes and disappears but the Brit immediately goes to the back of his car to get his machete and the first on foot incident ensues. 

Up until this point the red headed Thai punk is totally to blame.  He probably thought he was on a safe wicket confronting an elderly farang who was unlikely to be armed and got a nasty surprise.  Not all farangs are what they seem and the Thai was lucky to avoid serious injury or death, not that I condone the Brit's actions.

Personally I think they should both have their licences revoked for life.   Although provoked the Brit deserves to do some time for assault with a deadly weapon and/or attempted murder and the Thai should be do less time for assault which could easily have ended in death and could also be charged with attempted death.  Probably nothing much will happen to either and certainly not to the Thai driver who only needs to deliver a couple of gold bracelets to the police mia nois.

Incredible to think the Thai punk was quite happy to provoke a potentially fatal confrontation and get out of his car to fight with his wife and baby in the car.   Both have sh*t for brains.                   

Just a couple of sequences you missed. At the 0.40/2.59 mark, the Brio overtakes the Pom and the pick up  pan tech in front of him, and is now 2 vehicles in front.

At the 0.58/2.39 mark, the Brio is not between the Pom's vehicle and the pick up. (clear vision)

At the 1.19/2.21 mark, the Brio has stopped on the left hand side of the road.

At the 1.30/2.10 mark, the Brio has moved off and gets in front of the Pom's vehicle.

At the 1.38/2.01 mark there has been either a cliche or an editing of the video.  There is no vision of how the Brio moved out onto the incorrect side of the road.  The rest is as you stated.

Given what occurred in the time frames listed it tends to suggest that the Thai has decided to escalate the situation. So, I agree that up to the point where he forced the Pom to stop, he was the aggressor.  After that, it went completely haywire, with the Pom loosing it

The Thai then looses it in the school car park, yelling out that the  Pom had tried to kill him and showing the injuries he had sustained.  Probably justified but it does not justify the king hit.  And the copper, he is an absolute disgrace, to just stand there and not take any action. Should be given an inactive post as he is bloody hopeless in an active one.:wai:

My Thai family has seen the video and the story is prominent on Thai TV and social media and almost universally- they all feel the Brit is mostly responsible. They all feel the Brit needs to negotiate and be prepared to pay a lot.

He could start off by apologising, stop lying, and show a bit of humility before it’s too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/15/2017 at 7:11 AM, colinneil said:

Well after seeing this video footage, the Thai clearly started it by blocking the farang from passing him.

Then the stupid old bugger was 100% in the wrong for threatening the Thai with the machete.

Then striking him with his car, silly old sod deserves to be jailed, and his license revoked.

Why did he have a Machete in his car in the first place considering in the UK you would never carry such a tool otherwise would get nicked for having an offensive weapon. Normal people don't do things like this thinking he's just your run of the mill Numpty given that old habits die hard........

On 10/15/2017 at 11:11 AM, colinneil said:

Well after seeing this video footage, the Thai clearly started it by blocking the farang from passing him.

Then the stupid old bugger was 100% in the wrong for threatening the Thai with the machete.

Then striking him with his car, silly old sod deserves to be jailed, and his license revoked.

I believe everyone who turns 65 Col should hand the license in They tend to loose patience But then again  Thais have no patience like the clown who cut me off this morning but i am developing that big Thai smile:cheesy::sorry:

7 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

I believe everyone who turns 65 Col should hand the license in They tend to loose patience But then again  Thais have no patience like the clown who cut me off this morning but i am developing that big Thai smile:cheesy::sorry:

With th all due respect, you probably wouldn’t say that once you reach 65. ?

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

With th all due respect, you probably wouldn’t say that once you reach 65. ?

Oh yes i would I got 5 years of driving to go but i dont think i can last that long driving here  Its is like driving a a dodgem car car here every time i go out  I just throw the keys to the wife and say drive. She is Thai and drives exactly like them So problem solved My rule book went out the window 3 years ago driving here. What is the saying" When in Rome do as the Romans do"

3 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Oh yes i would I got 5 years of driving to go but i dont think i can last that long driving here  Its is like driving a a dodgem car car here every time i go out  I just throw the keys to the wife and say drive. She is Thai and drives exactly like them So problem solved My rule book went out the window 3 years ago driving here. What is the saying" When in Rome do as the Romans do"

“Adapt or die” is another useful phrase.

I am not sure that  chucking the keys to the wife (on the basis that she is Thai and drives exactly like them) is the best move.

Driving ‘not like them’ (but being aware of their traits) is probably preferable.

Every foreigner who has watched those videos and read up on this situation should definitely chill out. No matter how horrid a Thai driver is or a foreigner emulating them- just grin and let it go... confrontation simply ups the stakes. I remember the words of a Thai who said- "They will always believe me and never believe you."  Something I never forget.

One jerk mets another jerk on Thai Roads....undeniable....

But the issue here is that the first jerk is Thai and the second jerk is just another worthless farang ,....and thus can get his ass expelled with a re-entry ban for his stupidity and arrogance....

Some must really learn the magic mantra in Thailand..... "if you are a farang, shut up" !!

Had this high quality expat plainly filmed the reckless attitude of the Thai driver and posted it on social media, it would have yielded better results in his favour.

Archived