new atm debit card

Hi,My Kasikorn bank ATM/debit card expires soon.Will I receive a new one in the post,or have to go to my branch to get it and will they phone me first?I can't remember what happened 5 years ago but I don't think it came in the post which probably wouldn't be very secure.Oh and will I have to pay?Thanks.

Don't bank there but generally you visit prior to expiration to obtain a new card - believe any branch can issue these days (at least BBL they can).  Can't remember if the was a cost involved, beyond the normal yearly fee.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Don't bank there but generally you visit prior to expiration to obtain a new card - believe any branch can issue these days (at least BBL they can).  Can't remember if the was a cost involved, beyond the normal yearly fee.

Thanks I had a feeling that was the case : )

I had to renew my Thai ATM-cards myself. I have both Bangkok Bang and SCB, so you (OP) better check, if you don't want to be without a valid ATM. For me, there was no fees, apart from the annual fees; same if you loose an ATM, they (the two banks I know) reissue without a fee.

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Is it the ATM card that expires or only the VISA debit component of your card.Your Thai bank account itself doesn't expire, you can still draw money.I have had a BB card for 30 years , never renewed anything and it's still good.

Expect that was the old dark blue ATM card rather than a debit card?

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

You will need to go to a branch to renew it. Mine expired a couple of months ago and I did not know until it was rejected by the ATM. You will need your passbook and it should be done at any branch.

And passport of course.

Never got a card in the postal mail.

Not even a reminder.

So it's all up to you.

I can not confirm that you can continue to use an expired card at the ATM.

Most silly story wanted?

I have an account at Kasikorn in Pattaya since long (before moving to Thailand).

Once arrived in Pattaya and went to the bank counter to deposit money.

Showed my (expired) card and the money was deposited without a hint(!!!!).

Then I went out to check balance at the ATM (I didn't have the bankbook with me).

Card rejected, expired :sad:

Back in.

New card please!

Can not without passbook :wacko:

Money stuck for use with ATM.

Fortunately I have two backups :tongue:

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Expect that was the old dark blue ATM card rather than a debit card?

Yes it was.Don't think debit cards existed back then.I also have  a new VISA KTB- debit card which expires in 2019: Does it mean that my whole account is closed, if I don't renew it ?

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And passport of course.

Never got a card in the postal mail.

Not even a reminder.

So it's all up to you.

I can not confirm that you can continue to use an expired card at the ATM.

Most silly story wanted?

I have an account at Kasikorn in Pattaya since long (before moving to Thailand).

Once arrived in Pattaya and went to the bank counter to deposit money.

Showed my (expired) card and the money was deposited without a hint(!!!!).

Then I went out to check balance at the ATM (I didn't have the bankbook with me).

Card rejected, expired :sad:

Back in.

New card please!

Can not without passbook :wacko:

Money stuck for use with ATM.

Fortunately I have two backups :tongue:

Credit cards come in the mail from bkk bank.... Or you can choose to send them to the branch and pick up in person if you don't like the postal option

15 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You will need to go to a branch to renew it. Mine expired a couple of months ago and I did not know until it was rejected by the ATM. You will need your passbook and it should be done at any branch.

Are you sure about the any branch part?  I always thought that you could only do stuff like this at the branch where you set the account up.

I've had the same SCB ATM card for 14 years now. It doesn't have an expiration date. My KTB Visa on the other hand does. Always needed to go to the original branch to do anything for cards and passbooks. Never minded the 1 day inconvenience for a few years relaxation.

14 hours ago, mstevens said:

Are you sure about the any branch part?  I always thought that you could only do stuff like this at the branch where you set the account up.

My account was at Samui but they would not renew the card as I did not have the pasbook (was back at Samui for a holiday). Went to my now local Campson branch and they renewed it with no problems. As BenQ said Your passport as well as the passbook are all that is needed (+ the expired card).

Archived