Good periodontist in Thailand for major work

Spock

I know this has been asked in a range of ways, but there is still no information available that suits my needs. I need a good periodontist who can perform major work, not just someone who can deep clean or do implants. Someone who for instance can peel back the gum surrounding an 8 mm pocket so that bacteria can be cleaned more easily and stop bone loss. Preferably in Bangkok, but Chiang Mai or indeed anywhere is possible for the right person and a reasonable price. Feel free to move this to the correct forum - I had a difficult time trying to make the correct selection. I would really appreciate advice.

An 8mm pocket is quite deep but the procedure you describe is not so unusual. Have you asked the various dental hospitals/clinics in Bangkok? What did they say?

If you have no luck there you could have a consultation with Dr. Paweenwan at Phyathai Sri Racha and see what she thinks. I would certainly trust her to do that for me, and she has done various things for me that have required sutures in the gum. She also does my implants which is not a task that I would entrust to many Thai dentists, even those who advertise as being able to do them. In fact several that I saw reckoned that implants would not be possible for me, though she managed to do them without any trouble.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 12:12 PM, KittenKong said:

An 8mm pocket is quite deep but the procedure you describe is not so unusual. Have you asked the various dental hospitals/clinics in Bangkok? What did they say?

If you have no luck there you could have a consultation with Dr. Paweenwan at Phyathai Sri Racha and see what she thinks. I would certainly trust her to do that for me, and she has done various things for me that have required sutures in the gum. She also does my implants which is not a task that I would entrust to many Thai dentists, even those who advertise as being able to do them. In fact several that I saw reckoned that implants would not be possible for me, though she managed to do them without any trouble.

Thanks for your response. I am currently in Australia heading back to Thailand shortly. The only clinic with which I have had experience in Bangkok is BIDC, and the dentists and periodontists offered no advice regarding the problem with this pocket or other areas of my mouth which need treatment. I would not have major work done at this clinic. However, I attended a periodontist twice here to get the problem properly diagnosed and treatment outlined - $6500 to cut the gums away and clean and disinfect the root surfaces, doing the mouth in four sections. Your advice is good because I have the name of someone who seems reliable. Periodontal work would be substantially cheaper in Thailand but I'd want it done by a competent person in a sterilized environment. Your advice is good and much appreciated.

13 hours ago, Spock said:

Periodontal work would be substantially cheaper in Thailand

I'm not so sure. There doesnt seem to be a large difference in prices here compared to prices in, say, Spain. Especially once you get away from the small dental clinics (which I fully understand that you would rather not use here but which are probably fine elsewhere).

I live here so the question doesnt arise, but if I was living elsewhere I doubt that I would come here to have dental work done.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm not so sure. There doesnt seem to be a large difference in prices here compared to prices in, say, Spain. Especially once you get away from the small dental clinics (which I fully understand that you would rather not use here but which are probably fine elsewhere).

I live here so the question doesnt arise, but if I was living elsewhere I doubt that I would come here to have dental work done.

What tends to even out pricing is when imported materials are used, e.g. crowns, implants - these cost as much or more than in the West. However costs just for labor (dentist's time) tend to be less. So possible that for periodontal surgery it will be a savings.

Archived