Yangon the second most dangerous city in the world.

watgate

So of course, now that I am due to leave for Myanmar, and specifically Yangon next week,  a study comes out stating that Yangon is the second most dangerous city to live in, in the world. Any idea why Yangon was ranked number 2 in the world, right after Karachi Pakistan?

watgate, you are worrying yourself unnecessarily. Get on the plane and enjoy Burma and by all means report back on your experience.

Edit just to add I am typing this from Pakistan, not Karachi admittedly, and this is my second trip here in 2 years and love the places I have visited despite there not being a positive report anywhere out there which obviously hasn't stopped me visiting.

a study comes out stating that Yangon is the second most dangerous city to live in, in the world. Any idea why..

High risk of stroke/heart attack, due to the oil-soaked, fatty food?

Who knows?  I always found Yangon to be a very safe city - no problems or scares when walking at night in the slum areas.

Update: found the link.  

15 minutes ago, Deli said:

Spent a week in downtown Yangoon. Went everywhere, also at night. Never felt unsafe for a moment.

Looking forward going back soon again

Totally agree very safe city and nice people never had any bad vibes there at all.

I too was totally flabbergasted (spelling? Haven't used that word for a while or ever!) when I saw this list come out a few weeks ago.

Close to 20 years working in and out of Myanmar, with significant periods in Yangon, where I just returned to a few hours ago

One of the safest cities (and countries, I have lived in some of the more controversial and remote areas) that I have experienced

2nd most dangerous city in the world?  Nonsense.  The Myanmar people wouldn't dream of letting anything happen to a foreign visitor. Hospitable, welcoming and warm folk.

As in any city - common sense prevails - but I have been out and about in Yangon at all hours of the day and night and its never made me feel unsafe.  On the contrary.

Not sure as to the reasons this made position two in the list, but I spend several days each month, for the past year, in Yangon and I have never experienced any issues in any part of the city.

Great place and in general, great people.

Archived