Video: Bus stops or even fishbowls - welcome to Thailand's beach smoking areas

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hearing that fines will be 2,000, not 100,000 and a year in jail is the only bit of common sense in this story. To expect people to stand in a greenhouse and sweat their tits off while having a ciggie is nuts. A couple of good sized ashtrays, with a "smoking area" sign would have been far more appropriate, less costly and less comical.

How do you survive in this country showing common sense in public?

3 hours ago, Katipo said:

Using those things will be like standing in an oven. A really smoky oven. I almost feel sorry for the smokers. Almost. :w00t:

and people who are not attending the beach will be walking past smoking away wondering * * * you are doing

hilarious

There have been many pictures/photos posted on various forums showing the litter and garbage in the streets and public areas across the whole of Thailand - it is a disgrace, remember this whole smoking thing on the beach is not about smokers smoking - it is supposed to be about trash but seemingly not all trash - just cigarette butts and not even about littering - just about smoking

Maybe the marine dept decided - how can we extract money from tourists since the regular police do it - we want a piece of that....but how

This is not about smoking it is about something else, it should be about littering - the act of littering ALL LITTERING -  and not just on beaches but everywhere, the garbage all over this country is horrendous 

Their fishbowl looks like it is on the concrete area.. Maybe near the road..

It is also designed as a meeting point for all the taxi and tuk tuk mafia members or the latest will still be allowed to smoke outside? :whistling:

Might just make a huge fish bowl over one section of the beach and call it a smoking beach :)

Bang Saen Beach is so littered (bottles, plastics, tons of cigarette butts.)  this is a GREAT step in the right direction. 99% of all beach goers in Bang Saen are Thais. It is trashed on a daily basis. They do need to add more places and have more policing of the trash. I see vendors all the time with their garbage flying off their carts without a care in the world. Good job! 

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

If they would only put a toilet in the booths then some one could use the crapper and have a smoke at the same time....

2 birds killed with one stone...

Don’t forget the beer, bro.... I was right there with you on that one (although an F off big air con would be needed)

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Lots of countries already gone down this road of designated smoking areas.

Just one of these things that us smokers have to get used to. Almost every airport I've been to has them and most public areas in many countries are non-smoking areas.

Last holiday to UK cut my smoking by at least 50/60% as a guess.

Times are changing.

Yes, but I’ll warrant they are better placed, showing.... forethought 555

4 hours ago, smedly said:

it's not even on the beach, so they have banned smoking off the beach as well, who makes this stuff up

Beach = sand

Instead of simply providing ashtrays and bins for people to put their waste and anyone caught littering (enforcing the law) fine them 

Right... so now we need clear and unequivocal demarcation of where a beach starts and ends.... perhaps they can draw a line in the sand

and, given the amount of smokers around about, I think a timed entry fee might be in order... lol... another mafia occupation coming up

personally, I can’t wait for one of these to turn up at a beach near me, so I can sit in a beachside reastaurant, enjoying a cold one, whilst watching the entertainment. ???

maybe one day they will enforce the ban in bars and restaurants.

but i very much doubt it.

am amazing country!

been an experience and a half living here for a couple of years.

you could not make it up the stuff that goes on here.

highly amusing at first, annoying after a while.

hey ho.

"Meanwhile down in Hua Hin daily news reported that a survey done by local marine and coastal resources chief Banyarak Sermthong showed there were 100,000 butts all over the Hua Hin sands."

Now, if they collected a fine of 100,000 baht for each butt, the Mayor of Hua Hin and city coffers would swell by 10 Billion baht. Nice little earner...

2 hours ago, coulson said:

Welcome to Thailand. The hub of re-inventing the wheel as a square.

I agree, why not develop bio-degradable cigarettefilters from cottonwool or so?? 

Or just let people smoke e-cigarettes on the beach?

No way that i'll go into a fishboal or so, i 'll just go abroad to another beach without plastic in the sea.

I thought this whole thing started because pollution from the discarded butts was seeping  into the water. Why do you need a smoke contained box now? And why they constant small steps against cigarettes? If they are so toxic to people via direct or indirect use then ban them, done. If you are enjoying the taxation income then you are part of it. Don’t try to act as if you are not part of the problem. 

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Maybe they could also have a booth like this for anyone

who wants to drink on the beach.....A smokers booth and a drinkers booth....

maybe we could have a fornicators booth under the coconuts on Pattaya beach

Fishmonger's booth, only for wholesale mongers

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Exactly.... no blazing 30 plus degree sunshine most days, and not fully enclosed

A lot more rainy days though.

Stopped in one in Osaka that was in the middle of a 5 road junction and reached by zebra crossings. ?

The big difference is that for some strange reason the traffic stops when the lights are red.

A booth near the sidewalk implies that smoking will not be allowed on the street?  If not, why go in a solar hotbox to smoke?  Knowing the devious minds of the anti-smoking crowd, I have no doubt that these hot boxes will be strategically placed in the direct sunlight to make smokers as uncomfortable as possible.  However, if they are placed on the sidewalk, I think smokers will avoid them and just smoke in the street.  The butts will go in the street and then be washed into the gulf. After the next rain they will be back on the beach!  55555!

12 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I thought this whole thing started because pollution from the discarded butts was seeping  into the water. Why do you need a smoke contained box now? And why they constant small steps against cigarettes? If they are so toxic to people via direct or indirect use then ban them, done. If you are enjoying the taxation income then you are part of it. Don’t try to act as if you are not part of the problem. 

I have no issue with smoking in the open and that includes bars parks beaches streets or whatever, it is total nonsense that smoking in the open is harmful to anyone but the smoker, if you really want to get into what actually contaminates the air we breath - it comes primarily from internal combustion engines and is so harmful in comparison to passive outdoor smoking that there is no way to measure and scale them both together, in fact passive outdoor smoking is probably not even something that can be detected and measured.

Like I keep saying, this topic is all about littering and should be about all garbage everywhere 

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

If they would only put a toilet in the booths then some one could use the crapper and have a smoke at the same time....

2 birds killed with one stone...

Knowing Thailand, they'd probably just let the toilet drain onto the beach anyway!

4 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

A booth near the sidewalk implies that smoking will not be allowed on the street?  If not, why go in a solar hotbox to smoke?  Knowing the devious minds of the anti-smoking crowd, I have no doubt that these hot boxes will be strategically placed in the direct sunlight to make smokers as uncomfortable as possible.  However, if they are placed on the sidewalk, I think smokers will avoid them and just smoke in the street.  The butts will go in the street and then be washed into the gulf. After the next rain they will be back on the beach!  55555!

exactly why this whole thing is stupidity beyond belief, I am all for cleaning up Thailand but this nonsense contributes absolutely nothing towards that.

If they want to clean up Thailand then this should be a fight against people throwing their garbage everywhere not about smoking on the beach.

and if they want to apply rules then apply them country wide not just in specific locations targeting specific people.

Archived