Video: Bus stops or even fishbowls - welcome to Thailand's beach smoking areas

webfact

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Maybe they could also have a booth like this for anyone

who wants to drink on the beach.....A smokers booth and a drinkers booth....

... and spectator benches outside, just like in a zoo (which this is).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

He's my hero.  I would ban the practice everywhere but  in personal dungeons in your own house.  Filthy habit that others constantly  impose on non smokers and then throw way their buts thinking its not litter.  Good on Thailand, I hope it works, but I doubt it, knowing how selfish most smokers around here seem to be.   

When I give up smoking do I automatically become pious and unselfish , or can I just choose the later option ?

I stopped having my Christmas/New Year at Jom Tien almost entirely due to the smokers, and more recently the plastic and rubber things encountered in the sea was the final straw.

The current new laws follow many western countries, and it's good to see some common sense prevailing.

Well done!

I was in Bang Saen yesterday on the beach and smoking a cig. I was told "no smoking Mister. Police come" and sure enough there were regular patrols up and down the promenade by police cars and motorcycles. I saw no "No Smoking" signs and no shelters. I also saw that nobody was smoking on the beach and when I wanted a smoke I hid myself  behind a big tree with eyes peeled for the BIB. Maybe a dry run before next month, or a dummy run if you prefer.

Why should any time, money or effort should be spent on providing any specific facilities for smokers in any public place, even ashtrays. It's a stinking, unsocial, polluting, dirty habit. Why should anyone be forced to have to accommodate, or suffer from, in any way those who do it? I don't see any public toilets along the beaches, so why build specific structures for smoking? The former is a basic human necessity and people easily find somewhere to go when required, the latter is voluntary, so if it's not convenient to do it in private then don't do it. Message to smokers: It's your choice...if you can smoke without affecting others, i.e. not allow the smoke to blow around where others have to breath it, and not drop the butts on the ground, that's fine, do it. The problem is that you can't, so don't do it in public...then there would not have to be such measures as is now being implemented...take responsibility yourselves. On a lighter note, don't fret too much...this is Thailand. Enforcement will at best be arbitrary, and after a while completely unenforced, as are most other rules and regulations...already the proposed B100,000 fine, or a year in jail, is being disregarded, and B2,000 is being touted. I note that the smoking shelters are fitted with an extractor fan...that is so hilarious. Why build an enclosed box shelter, and then extract all the pollution to the outside? If the smoke is going to be transferred to the outside why enclose the shelter in the first place? Will these fans be running continuously I wonder. Who is paying for the electricity?  I guarantee, as soon as the fan breaks down it will never be replaced...maybe that's a good thing; smokers can choke on the smog inside.

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

If they would only put a toilet in the booths then some one could use the crapper and have a smoke at the same time....

2 birds killed with one stone...

I'd rather put up with the smell of tobacco smoke than having to walk past one of those booths and seeing someone struggling with both of those jobs at once.

Stone the crows !!!

57 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

When I give up smoking do I automatically become pious and unselfish , or can I just choose the later option ?

No, you just become more considerate and  less of an irritation to  some others and of course healthy! 

Of course, the idiocy of all this is that they have banned vaping, that at least has a chance of stopping people smoking, stop the irritation to  others, ( although I personally still hate being around vaping ) polluting the atmosphere too much  and premature death  No logic in that at all. 

33 minutes ago, sujoop said:

You won't have to wait too long before someone quotes you ans asks what it has to do with Thailand. ??? and that Thailand will soon go broke because all the tourists will be flocking to the smoking beaches in other countries.

I'm a smoker by the way. ?

1 hour ago, jkcjag said:

Why should any time, money or effort should be spent on providing any specific facilities for smokers in any public place, even ashtrays. It's a stinking, unsocial, polluting, dirty habit. Why should anyone be forced to have to accommodate, or suffer from, in any way those who do it? 

My girlfriend says that all farang who come to the pharmacy stink
only i do not stink

Fine for all sweaty people 100,000 baht ??
or prison if they stink when they are shopping ??

Be careful what you wish for because someone can
limit your freedoms someday .

Even if large ashtrays were provided a lot of smokers would still not use them as it's easier to toss their butts on the ground! As for the 2000 baht fine that is supposedly in force all over Thailand now as you see signs in the cities but never seems to be enforced! 

For once they are actually doing something which is positive to the planet and the environment and their environment, 

and people still complaining.. 

I guess unless they got free hookers, free alcohol, free visa handouts  theyd still be complaining.. 

ps. yes i smoke too.

4 hours ago, farcanell said:

Right... so now we need clear and unequivocal demarcation of where a beach starts and ends.... perhaps they can draw a line in the sand

and, given the amount of smokers around about, I think a timed entry fee might be in order... lol... another mafia occupation coming up

personally, I can’t wait for one of these to turn up at a beach near me, so I can sit in a beachside reastaurant, enjoying a cold one, whilst watching the entertainment. ???

I wonder how far offshore the ban can be enforced!

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I can just imagine standing side by side, smoking with a Thai. Bt2000 fine for me and for the Thai.....?

:WPFflags:

Yes, one of my first thought's the selective enforcement.

Although you don't see a lot of Thais relaxing on the beach.

Archived