Video: Bus stops or even fishbowls - welcome to Thailand's beach smoking areas

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, coulson said:

Stop making sense! There are many ways to tackle this problem, but alas, they will go with the most complicated and unnecessary!

Exactly, why not stop selling filtercigarettes? My grandpa always smoked unfiltered ones.

But rollup loose tobacco is still very cheap, 80 baht for a KG!! on the market...that's perfect for smoking on the beach me thinks.

21 hours ago, Thian said:

Exactly, why not stop selling filtercigarettes? My grandpa always smoked unfiltered ones.

But rollup loose tobacco is still very cheap, 80 baht for a KG!! on the market...that's perfect for smoking on the beach me thinks.

Obviously not a smoker!

On 10/19/2017 at 8:19 AM, edwinchester said:

I'm a lifetime non smoker and hate breathing others second hand smoke but this strikes me as one of the most retarded schemes yet. One wonders how much was raked off from the building of these white elephants?

:clap2:

3 hours ago, Drago said:

Just ban smoking in all public places.

"On 10 January 2008, Thailand announced further restrictions that came into force on 10 February 2008, in that smoking would be banned (indoors and outdoors) in establishments open to the public, including restaurants, bars, and open-air markets. Members of the public face a 2,000 baht fine for not complying, and establishments face a 20,000 baht fine for not enforcing the ban (including not displaying mandated ‘no smoking’ signs). In addition to fines, those who fail to comply may be arrested. Most legal bars comply with these regulations, but in establishments that operate illegally or semi-legally they are mostly disregarded."

3 hours ago, sambum said:

"On 10 January 2008, Thailand announced further restrictions that came into force on 10 February 2008, in that smoking would be banned (indoors and outdoors) in establishments open to the public, including restaurants, bars, and open-air markets. Members of the public face a 2,000 baht fine for not complying, and establishments face a 20,000 baht fine for not enforcing the ban (including not displaying mandated ‘no smoking’ signs). In addition to fines, those who fail to comply may be arrested. Most legal bars comply with these regulations, but in establishments that operate illegally or semi-legally they are mostly disregarded."

That worked out really well didn't it

2 hours ago, Naam said:

...and deport the militant non-smokers who are too stingy to pay tobacco tax :smile:

You mean the people who buy loose tobacco on the market and make their own ciggies? That vendor has great business....

I smoke taxfree ciggies, 30 packs for 800 baht...am i stingy or a farang kee-nok? I've placed many more orders for them already...30 packs for 800 baht.

If the ban is all about cigarette butts, then why is my pipe forbidden? If it is about secondhand smoke, then why do the booths have extractor fans which just blow the smoke out again? If you say the booths are not on the beach where smoking is forbidden, then why have the booths?

8 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

If the ban is all about cigarette butts, then why is my pipe forbidden? If it is about secondhand smoke, then why do the booths have extractor fans which just blow the smoke out again? If you say the booths are not on the beach where smoking is forbidden, then why have the booths?

I agree with everything you say, and I'm an non/ex smoker. It's obviously to make someone money! And you could add "situated where smoking is not forbidden" to the end of your last sentence! 

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:13 AM, masuk said:

I stopped having my Christmas/New Year at Jom Tien almost entirely due to the smokers, and more recently the plastic and rubber things encountered in the sea was the final straw.

The current new laws follow many western countries, and it's good to see some common sense prevailing.

Well done!

smoking in any public place has been banned in Thailand any place where the public are admitted whether open or covered for years....it just has never been

obeyed or enforced by the Bib.....like driving on the pavement or on the wrong

way down a one way street...at least now the nicotine junkies have a legal place

to puff away without causing any  harm to the clean dudes.... and imagine how

easy it will be to loose the kilo's while having a few puffs in the glasshouse's.

I hope they follow through with this. I remember way long back when white sand beach on Samed was actually white. But with an overflow of tourists and everybody smoking and throwing litter on the beach, it's fairly gross now. And the hundreds and hundreds of cigarette butts that tourists and locals just throw in the sand is a huge part of that.

1 hour ago, zoza said:

smoking in any public place has been banned in Thailand any place where the public are admitted whether open or covered for years....it just has never been

obeyed or enforced by the Bib.....like driving on the pavement or on the wrong

way down a one way street...at least now the nicotine junkies have a legal place

to puff away without causing any  harm to the clean dudes.... and imagine how

easy it will be to loose the kilo's while having a few puffs in the glasshouse's.

I can't understand how these "booths" are going to do any good at all?

The smokers go in there, light up, and their smoke is then pumped out into the open air! So why not just have an outside area reserved for smokers, and do away with the expense of building these cubicles with fans, which would probably serve better for growing tomatoes!

Archived