More than 3,000 cars 'drown' in latest Bangkok flooding - insurance companies ordered to be "just"

webfact

More than 3,000 cars 'drown' in latest Bangkok flooding - insurance companies ordered to be "just"

5pm.jpg

Picture: PPTV

PPTV revealed that more than 3000 cars were seriously damaged in the record breaking deluge and floods that hit Bangkok on Friday night.

Vehicles all over the city were abandoned or completely submerged in some underground car parks as torrential rain flooded the capital.

Losses are expected to cost insurance companies tens of millions of baht.

Now the overseer of the insurance companies wants standards to be followed in the claims procedure with a speedy and just resolution for affected people.

Dr Suthiphon Thaweechaikarn said that by yesterday claims had been received by 41 companies concerning 3,184 damaged vehicles.

Initial losses were put at 45 million baht but this is expected to rise as more claims are made.

Suthiphon's department said that claims must be dealt with quickly, efficiently and fairly.

A graphic showed what he meant when it comes to flood damage in cars.

Guidelines exist for different levels of payments with A - flooding up to the start of the engine compartment incurring compensation in the region of 8,000 to 10,000 baht. This rises as the water level rises with 15-20,000 for when the upholstery is affected (B) to thirty thousand and above for water that reaches above the front console (D).

When the car is completely submerged different rules apply.

Suthiphon estimated that most claims fell into the A/B range.

Affected people can call 1186 for assistance in matters related to claims.

The story was reported by PPTV who omitted to explain or give any details regarding the taxi being hauled through the air in our picture this morning.

Source: PPTV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-19

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

so how does that compensation work, if my car is flooded to the point the seats get wet I get compensated up to Bt.20,000 ?

That sure as shit aint gunna cover the cost of repairs.

It sounds like another attempt at damage control :smile: 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

to thirty thousand and above for water that reaches above the front console (D).

That's just ridiculous . You can't fix a car like that. Dirty floodwater everywhere . Barely a difference between above front console or totally submerged.

3184 cars damaged so far with 41 companies. That's just over  1million baht damage each company.

An average claim of around 14,000 baht. 

Basically the yearly premium on those cars will cover the damage. 

Not a hit at all for the insurance companies.. 

Always assuming all he cars had full insurance. Actually, my sympathy is with the owners. A couple of years after I moved to Thailand my car was partly  submerged in the home driveway due to heavy rain causing a local dam to brake. Even though repairs were done (at the dealer) it's never quite the same.

Maybe..... the insurance companies can start some form of class action against the incompetent government agencies responsible for water management

sure, not all flooding can be avoided, but a lot of it can be (or at least effectively controlled)

18 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Does anyone have the small print in English for their insurance policies here? I'd be quite keen to see what my sum insured is for water damage as a maximum of 30k is a joke. I think I will try and get mine in English at my next service.

You have an insurance policy and you do not know what it says? :whistling:  Incredible.

14 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Maybe..... the insurance companies can start some form of class action against the incompetent government agencies responsible for water management

sure, not all flooding can be avoided, but a lot of it can be (or at least effectively controlled)

Maybe sue God for letting it rain?

14 minutes ago, farcanell said:

1)  "Maybe..."  I would doubt very much that the current regime would even allow any form of class action :sad:  But hey, maybe you meant that as a joke :smile:

2) Fully agree but there is no or very little will to deal with the problem. Billions of baht on armanents seems to be more important (guarantees the military's strength in the event of future likely coups -      under the guise of 'protection' for the country against external threats)! A 'me' fixation for those at the top of the feudal social class.

I follow your train of thought though.

34 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Everyone knows it’s going to rain.... ergo the need for flood protection works, which seem lacking in Thailand.

Check out the last year's European floods and me me they were prepared.  Wake up.

8 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Class action? Are you from Mars? The rest of us live in Thailand.

Same same? :whistling: :cheesy: 

Oooops......Mars would at least be dry but style of Government probably same :smile:  There isn't any (effective) Government on Mars? Then it is the same! 555

Just now, toofarnorth said:

I only have tax/gov. insurance so I don't know . BUT is fully comp. insurance valid if a military coup is under way ?

What is this "military coup" fantasy. This is not Operation Condor, teenagers tortured, dumped in the sea. Look around. where are the tanks, soldiers, road blocks? Wake up.

Insurance co's are worse than gangsters. They make money by NOT paying out on claims. Get it?

5 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

I despair at expat stupidity. Corpus in Thailand; mentus in transit. 

555 Neither actually. :thumbsup:

But a regular visitor over many years pre and post coup. Starting at Korat airforce base during Vietnam war.

Don't feed the troll.

Some clowns just post in contrary and combative fashion to get more "likes", as if it is some competition.

This particular one seems to focus on getting a rise out of ex-pats.  Just like a bar girl, come to that! :smile:

I very much doubt he even has a vehicle, let alone affected by the floods.

Let the child rant but don't feed it.

Archived