More than 3,000 cars 'drown' in latest Bangkok flooding - insurance companies ordered to be "just"

webfact

2 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Don't feed the troll.

Some clowns just post in contrary and combative fashion to get more "likes", as if it is some competition.

This particular one seems to focus on getting a rise out of ex-pats.  Just like a bar girl, come to that! :smile:

I very much doubt he even has a vehicle, let alone affected by the floods.

Let the child rant but don't feed it.

Totally agree. Just I sometimes wonder whether they are actually from Mars 555

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, webfact said:

Guidelines exist for different levels of payments with A - flooding up to the start of the engine compartment incurring compensation in the region of 8,000 to 10,000 baht. This rises as the water level rises with 15-20,000 for when the upholstery is affected (B) to thirty thousand and above for water that reaches above the front console (D).

A consolation prize, sort of . . . 

2 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Check out the last year's European floods and me me they were prepared.  Wake up.

And this is an annual event, with no attempt to prevent future occurrences, is it?

wake up and shake yourself, sir

Guidelines exist for different levels of payments with A - flooding up to the start of the engine compartment incurring compensation in the region of 8,000 to 10,000 baht. This rises as the water level rises with 15-20,000 for when the upholstery is affected (B) to thirty thousand and above for water that reaches above the front console (D).

. . . . . But tough shit if your Merc falls in category (C), with water somewhere between the upholstery and the front console . . . (C) standing for claimless client, here.

7 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

so how does that compensation work, if my car is flooded to the point the seats get wet I get compensated up to Bt.20,000 ?

That sure as shit aint gunna cover the cost of repairs.

I never heard of such a thing, but that is probably because I'm from the USA, where the cost to repair or replacement, less a deductible (i.e. a few hundred $'s) that was agreed upon n in the contract when you took out the contract, If it happens at home in the garage it is usually on the house insurance. Anyway <deleted>? I feel bad for the people here, How weird a compensation!!!

8 hours ago, lvr181 said:

You have an insurance policy and you do not know what it says? :whistling:  Incredible.

I bought my car on installments so I don't fully own it yet. The main dealer arranges the first class insurance which I'm happy with for now. I just know the main figures of sum insured and personal injury/ liability. 

So do you know what you are insured up to in case of a flood? As per my initial query

1 minute ago, alien365 said:

I bought my car on installments so I don't fully own it yet. The main dealer arranges the first class insurance which I'm happy with for now. I just know the main figures of sum insured and personal injury/ liability. 

So do you know what you are insured up to in case of a flood? As per my initial query

Neither I nor my car is affected by floods - sorry. :thumbsup:

Back in 2011 I parked my car on the 3rd floor at a friends condo - the flooding in Bangkok was predicted. 

This time is wasn't flooded. Fortunately the parking on the ground floor was sufficiently high enough to remain dry although my Soi flooded for the first time in 10 years (according the security guard).  I imagine scores of people were caught out this time round.

I would also like to know exactly what these quoted figures are: 

Are they for cars without 1st Class insurance?... i.e. is this the additional cover insurance companies are obliged to pay out if someone just has the basic Por-Ror-Bor insurance?

Surely any and all damage would be covered by 1st Class insurance?

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, webfact said:

When the car is completely submerged different rules apply.

such as ?

How's this, for starters?

It's your own dam fault for leaving your car in a low-lying area . . . bleeding obvious!

7 minutes ago, Ossy said:

How's this, for starters?

It's your own dam fault for leaving your car in a low-lying area . . . bleeding obvious!

Have you never parked in an underground car park? at say Emporium, Em Quatier, Paragon, Central World, numerous hotels etc etc...

Your logic is fundamentally flawed here's why....  In your Logic: 

Tree falls on car - Its your own damn fault for parking near a tree.

Advertisement Board falls on car - Its your own damn fault for parking near it.

Car crashes into your parked car - Its your own damn fault for parking on the side of the road.

Someone scratches your car in a car park - Its your own damn fault for parking.

Now, take this ideology of yours a step further. You get injured driving a car... is it your own damn fault for driving?

You see the issue here ?....   We have insurance to cover us for unforeseeable events. 

Suggesting that someones car being flooded is their own fault for parking in a CAR PARK or on the STREET in places which are designed to have cars is somewhat unfair, thin on logic and well, just a tad silly. 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you never parked in an underground car park? at say Emporium, Em Quatier, Paragon, Central World, numerous hotels etc etc...

Your logic is fundamentally flawed here's why....  In your Logic: 

Tree falls on car - Its your own damn fault for parking near a tree.

Advertisement Board falls on car - Its your own damn fault for parking near it.

Car crashes into your parked car - Its your own damn fault for parking on the side of the road.

Someone scratches your car in a car park - Its your own damn fault for parking.

Now, take this ideology of yours a step further. You get injured driving a car... is it your own damn fault for driving?

You see the issue here ?....   We have insurance to cover us for unforeseeable events. 

Suggesting that someones car being flooded is their own fault for parking in a CAR PARK or on the STREET in places which are designed to have cars is somewhat unfair, thin on logic and well, just a tad silly. 

Perhaps I should have said, 'Red-eye'; my remark, like the majority of posts, I suspect, was expressed tongue in cheek. Maybe I should postscript such pcs by TIC, since acronyms and abbs are so popular these days. Nice logic comparisons, though.

On 19-10-2017 at 6:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Back in 2011 I parked my car on the 3rd floor at a friends condo - the flooding in Bangkok was predicted. 

This time is wasn't flooded. Fortunately the parking on the ground floor was sufficiently high enough to remain dry although my Soi flooded for the first time in 10 years (according the security guard).  I imagine scores of people were caught out this time round.

I would also like to know exactly what these quoted figures are: 

Are they for cars without 1st Class insurance?... i.e. is this the additional cover insurance companies are obliged to pay out if someone just has the basic Por-Ror-Bor insurance?

Surely any and all damage would be covered by 1st Class insurance?

Back in 2011 my car was also parked at the parking space in in a condo parking with friends. This year no flooding at al here in BangYai (north of BKK). In 2011 we were already flooded around this time. Seems the distribution of floods is different this time.

What is amazing is that they have big tunnels for drainage now and it seems as if they are not helping that much. I read an article recently where they were defending them. But I feel an investigation should be done about the usefulness of those underground tunnels for drainage. 

As for cars, in 2011 in this village most people believed Yingluck and because of it they lost a lot of money. I seen loads of cars flooded in the village. It really was a sad sight and people were not happy for the bad information that was provided. This year people were looking around more (flooding came slow in 2011) just to make sure they were not caught of guard like in 2011. Nobody trusts the government anymore for news. 

If your car gets flooded and repaired.. be prepared for a car that will never be the same. I hope nobody gets here gets flooded. 

Sounds like the people have had enough water for sure. I hope  they can get their

vehicles fixed  or compensated . I remember the flood of 2009 and there must have

been lots of vehicles ruined then as well. Good luck with the rest of rainy season  2017

Geezer

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Back in 2011 my car was also parked at the parking space in in a condo parking with friends. This year no flooding at al here in BangYai (north of BKK). In 2011 we were already flooded around this time. Seems the distribution of floods is different this time.

What is amazing is that they have big tunnels for drainage now and it seems as if they are not helping that much. I read an article recently where they were defending them. But I feel an investigation should be done about the usefulness of those underground tunnels for drainage. 

As for cars, in 2011 in this village most people believed Yingluck and because of it they lost a lot of money. I seen loads of cars flooded in the village. It really was a sad sight and people were not happy for the bad information that was provided. This year people were looking around more (flooding came slow in 2011) just to make sure they were not caught of guard like in 2011. Nobody trusts the government anymore for news. 

If your car gets flooded and repaired.. be prepared for a car that will never be the same. I hope nobody gets here gets flooded. 

Nobody trusts the government anymore for news:whistling:

Archived