Taking the bullet train to Pattaya - picture shows the shape of things to come!

webfact

20 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Never heard of a transformer?

Indubitably I have but it is a moot point to contend as a source of power that either AC or DC transformers require is not mentioned in the O P .. The German H S T for example draws about 33 kWh per km at cruising speed but can use considerably more moving from standstill upto cruising speed .. And at present it is only fossil fuel powerstations that can reliably produce the high tension power that true H S T's need .. The proposal of a train link from Int' Airport to Patt' is a great one .. I for one would love to be able to jump on a train that stops within the airport before alighting in Patt' an hr later which would be more than possible with a modest City train type system that does a 80/90 mph .. A Bullet train as it is portrayed just isn't needed .. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Indubitably I have but it is a moot point to contend as a source of power that either AC or DC transformers require is not mentioned in the O P .. The German H S T for example draws about 33 kWh per km at cruising speed but can use considerably more moving from standstill upto cruising speed .. And at present it is only fossil fuel powerstations that can reliably produce the high tension power that true H S T's need .. The proposal of a train link from Int' Airport to Patt' is a great one .. I for one would love to be able to jump on a train that stops within the airport before alighting in Patt' an hr later which would be more than possible with a modest City train type system that does a 80/90 mph .. A Bullet train as it is portrayed just isn't needed .. 

Where can I buy a DC transformer?  Oh that's right....they don't exist.

1 minute ago, Justgrazing said:

_20171020_121924.JPG

I am completely familiar with VFD's....or more correctly  VVVF drives     Variable Voltage Variable Frequency drives. Non of which are DC transformers. A DC/DC convertor is not a transformer.

DC transformers do NOT exist

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

I am completely familiar with VFD's....or more correctly  VVVF drives     Variable Voltage Variable Frequency drives. Non of which are DC transformers. A DC/DC convertor is not a transformer.

DC transformers do NOT exist

And you're point is .? I see no offering as to where the power will come from that H S T's draw which was part of my original post  .. I hear only trumpeting of you're own intimacy of things electric in an effort to split hairs .. 

On 10/19/2017 at 7:59 AM, AlQaholic said:

Just came back from Malaysia. I was impressed by the infrastructure of Malaysia and especially the railway system in and around Kuala Lumpur. They are like 30 years ahead of Thailand in that respect. Bus routes in and out of Kuala Lumpur was also super, comfy and cheap. Guess which train is the Thai one in this picture from Padang Besar....

p1.jpg

And also notice the LACK of litter on the track, I have just travelled through Malaysia by rail and the surrounding area was spotless.

On 19/10/2017 at 5:15 AM, Justgrazing said:

200.000 million barts is quoted .! Do they mean 2 billion which in itself is not a huge money for projects of this scale .. Only t'other day some S P C G talking head was coo'ing that controversial fossil fuel powerstations will no longer be needed .. where is the big electricity coming from to power these things .. Most European systems operate around 25kv which is not pratically attainable with green energy .. 

25Kv is irrelevant if you are trying to point out how much energy the trains will use... Multiply the voltage by the amperage.

I think the real factor is just how much carbon, but there again look at how much carbon per train passenger verse that of a car trip, then you may find out it may well be more greener to use the train.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:31 AM, webfact said:

The project is anticipated to cost 200,000 million baht.

Do you really believe yourself in the numbers  you report ?

There are penthouses in Bangkok cost 1/3 of that and there are many houses in many cities sold for that 3 times of that!

Guess how many zeros missing in your report!

8 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

There are penthouses in Bangkok cost 1/3 of that and there are many houses in many cities sold for that 3 times of that!

Are you really get your panties in a twist over some missing digits for a project that will never happen let alone be funded by you.

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

And also notice the LACK of litter on the track, I have just travelled through Malaysia by rail and the surrounding area was spotless.

I worked on this project Pedang Basar - Ipoh double tracking project. Joining up to double track built previously from KL-Ipoh. The single track we replaced was a single track with passing loops. KL -Pedang Basar is now a narrow gauge modern railway and there is a regular reliable service. Thailand needs something similar not this high speed nonsense

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Mayalsia KTMB train right, Thailand SRT train left

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I worked on this project Pedang Basar - Ipoh double tracking project. Joining up to double track built previously from KL-Ipoh. The single track we replaced was a single track with passing loops. KL -Pedang Basar is now a narrow gauge modern railway and there is a regular reliable service. Thailand needs something similar not this high speed nonsense

To run high speed trains Thailand will need double tracks, when they work that one out will be when work stops on this project and they quietly try to brush it under the carpet. :cheesy: 

when it comes to failed infrastructure projects Thailand has an outstanding TRACK record...

To run high speed trains Thailand will need double tracks, when they work that one out will be when work stops on this project and they quietly try to brush it under the carpet. :cheesy: 

when it comes to failed infrastructure projects Thailand has an outstanding TRACK record...
One in shanghai I was in was magnetic, no tracks. 450km/max

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

In other news they said they spended 500mil for speed guns for cops. Must buy factories then 55

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Yes I can see it going off the RAILS literally 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, oxo1947 said:

"LOS could be the best country in the world if it wasn't for the corruption."

Yes I agree-- but I feel its more of an Asian thing than a Thai thing--other than maybe the 3 advanced countries Singapore/Japan/S.Korea  ..can we name corrupt free Asian country?

"They (*Singapore*) built great infrastructure because they were not corrupt, and the government cared about the people. Nothing to do with the size of the country."

I have to disagree --it's less than half the size of a Thai City. Do you know what is the very longest road in Singapore TBL ? it's 9 klms ( Yio Chu Kang  RD) imagine you have to get your people to work--move goods ..trade etc...and the very longest road you have to build and maintain is 9 klms long--you dont feel that's a bit of an advantage?

"The only naysayers I remember on the Bkk underground were Thais. "

You obviously have a much wider circle of Thai friends than me TBL.... at that time I was living in BKK & mainly around farangs--most of them knew everything there was to know about engineering and assured us all it wouldn't work.

"It's not even a particularly well designed system either"

I have to point out TBL that this is still a work in progress....BTS etc connecting both airports etc & connecting to the underground in different places are still being built.

"They may well build it, but not because it's a good thing for the people. Most of the people won't be able to afford to use it".

I dont know if you are commenting on the BKK system or the HSR system to Lao/China--If its the BKK system I think anyone Living in BKK will tell you its a raving success, Last time I stayed there (April) I had difficulty getting onto some lines...just packed with people. Although I was told by my usual friends "Why they build it--Thais wont use it".

The HSR system going to Lao/China--I think most people dont quite realise the urgent needs, This is not primary for people to have a day out in Essan-- You have a land locked country that Thailand is exporting Billions to & that is also growing so fast. going in upgrading BKK-Lao highway (Number 2) compared to other roads.

You can not do anything better for the growth of a country..then to invest in its infrastructure.

Shame that corruption seems so accepted in Asia. Has everything to love, heat and people, but ruined by corruption.

I lived in Singapore for many years, finally in the mid 70s, so I know a fair bit about it to that point. No corruption was obvious then .

Seems to have gone a bit barking with the catering to the rich thing since unfortunately.

I used to take the bus from near the Shaw Centre to Nee Soon all the time and it was a lot more than 9km. Perhaps not same  road all the way, but pretty fast, especially at 11 pm when the bus driver wanted to get home. 

Happy days ( and nights in Bugis ). 

You miss the point that the population of Singapore was tiny compared to LOS, yet they built far superior infrastructure. Only one reason for that, far as I'm concerned.

Also, while LOS was very rich with rice and wood etc, Singapore had no natural resources at all, and not even enough water of its own.

The negative comments on the underground that I saw were from the newspapers. One politician when commenting on why the Skytrain should not be built said it was too high and people would be scared!

My comments on design were about the stations, not on the overall layout. They seem to have a problem designing efficient people spaces. Had the same problem with the Swampy terminal- very shoddy design, but some of us know why.

As the system expands, the current stations in the city center will be overwhelmed as they are just too inefficient at moving people

Commenting on the HSR. The skytrain and underground were both essential. Faster to walk before. Unfortunately they won't add another carriage despite the current overcrowding, and it's long past time to install down escalators.

Poor people still take the bus.

There is no need to install a HSR when the existing railway is a shambles. Just upgrading the track to two lines on the main routes is more of a priority, and the entire section Uttaradit to Lamphun needs rebuilding. Build a better line and the trains will go faster.

Strange how they can talk about HSR when there isn't even a line to Chiang Rai.

Massive road works upgrading the 1129 to Chiang Khong. Must be expecting a lot of trucks from Burma to Laos

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:59 PM, Xaos said:

One in shanghai I was in was magnetic, no tracks. 450km/max

How many power stations would they need to put maglev in from Malaya to Laos?

Maglev is of limited application in the real world, till they invent fusion power stations.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many power stations would they need to put maglev in from Malaya to Laos?

Maglev is of limited application in the real world, till they invent fusion power stations.

Yeah talk about talking outa their backsides.

I took my "girlfriend" for a scooter ride.  We hit 105 kph.  She said that was way, way too fast.  Calling something a "bullet" doesn't make it fast.  I'd prefer a high speed hydrofoil ride down the coast from BKK.  Of course the price has to compete with the bus ride, which is practically free.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, chainarong said:

The key word here is possibility, at $21 million per kilometer , ( at Chinese rate,  $51 million at US or Au rate) it sure is a possibility..............................:coffee1:.

Just because they can, it doesn't mean they should.

Build a better railways for all Thais, not this just for rich people.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:32 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Yup, I can recommend any1 to travel through Malaysia by bus and train, really nice experience. scenic views.All people I met where helpful, kind and spoke very good English.

Archived