District chief orders Pattaya wide "entertainment" shutdown on October 26th

snoop1130

District chief orders Pattaya wide "entertainment" shutdown on October 26th

pattaya-beach-2.411aeb9f366e08138b69001e5e0f78111.jpg

The district chief of Bang Lamung has asked the police across four Pattaya districts to ensure that all entertainment venues are shut down for the Royal Cremation on October 26th.

In a letter seen by Thaivisa addressed to the police in Pattaya, Nong Prue, Bang Lamung and Huay Yai district chief Naris Niramaiwong suggested that the police carry out a public relations exercise to inform all entertainment venues and related service establishments that they should shut down on that day.

The language used in the letter is formal and official and does not mention things like bars, massage, clubs and discos but the message is clear that everything of that nature is expected to be closed.

The chief mentions that a flower presenting ceremony will be held that will give the public a chance on that day to join with officials in paying their last respects. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-19

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Going to be a lot of tourists wandering around with absolutely nothing to do.

thats the way it always has been - people with nothing to do will spend - probably why they want us off the beach, i know the locals in seaside towns uk love it when it rains - rubbing their greasy hands together

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

If it is only one day one could argue it is a result. Did I not read parts of Phuket/Bangkok are stopping for 3 days?

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.

Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do?

I predict a riot.

The smart businesses are just closing out of respect and to allow their Thai staff time off for this event.

Hardly rocket science...... or is it?

Bunker down for the day, read a book, or even watch the spectacle on TV then get on with your life from the 27th.

1 hour ago, topt said:

If it is only one day one could argue it is a result. Did I not read parts of Phuket/Bangkok are stopping for 3 days?

May be very well possible. 

23rd is Chulalongkorn day which is a National Holiday and probably booze-free. 

In order to enable people from all over Thailand to head for Bangkok for the former King's cremation, a lot of venues will be closed for a few days. 

I think all of us respected Thailand's beloved king Bhumibol Adulyadej.  Yes, Rama IX was definitely the 'Thai' that binds (intentional pun) the country together during his long reign.  October 26th should indeed be quiet and respectful since it's such an extremely sad day for all of us living in the kingdom.  And considering how fast Thailand is going downhill under its current 'leadership' we, Thais and expats alike, will soon be referring to king Rama IX's era as the golden years.  I already feel that way. 

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Still unclear ! Is EVERY business going to be forced to close on the 16th ? Is a small restaurant considered a "place of entertainment" ?

26th.

Up in Chiang Mai, I was told by a restaurant owner that they will be open. Pattaya could well be different.

Central is only closing from 3pm. I guess it's OK to be making money as long as it's not "fun".

Why would anyone not expect all "entertainment" venues to close on the 26th? They close them for Buddha days.

What is disappointing, is that they did not publish a Thailand wide schedule of closure covering everything months ago, so tourists could decide to go elsewhere if they didn't want to be in the present situation. Waiting till after the FMP crowd turned up to cancel it was not a good move and will be all over social media, resulting in problems for the tourist industry further down the line.

May be very well possible. 
23rd is Chulalongkorn day which is a National Holiday and probably booze-free. 
In order to enable people from all over Thailand to head for Bangkok for the former King's cremation, a lot of venues will be closed for a few days. 

Chulalongkorn Day has never been a dry day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

At least entertainment venues have been given plenty of notice unlike on the 13th when in this neck of the woods of Patts the police were randomly turning up at bars and restaurants at 3 pm (bearing in mind that most places had been open since 7 am serving breakfast) telling owners and bar managers to stop selling alcohol - restaurant, or shut the doors, turn your lights off and roll that roller door down and be quiet - a bar !! For crying out loud they have had a year to prepare for this.

Oh, sorry I forgot where I was.

I personally will be at home watching this very sad occasion with a heavy heart wondering what life has in store for Thailand, a country that I have come to love despite it's many foibles.

PS. Don't be too surprised if the goalposts change between now and Thursday.

Hardly news...

The big news will be those who do open as getting staff to turn in for work will be a big problem, I suspect the only restaurants open after 3pm on the 26th will be in hotels, and then it may be a cold buffet and certainly no alcohol...

Archived