About 1,000 Nigerians in Thailand prison –Ambassador

webfact

About 1,000 Nigerians in Thailand prison –Ambassador

From Magnus Eze, Abuja

Nigerian Ambassador to Thailand, Nuhu Bamali, has said close to 1,000 Nigerians are in prison in the Asian country of Thailand. The envoy made the shocking revelation, yesterday, at the Africa Gems and Jewellery Exhibition and Seminar, in Abuja.

He did not give details of their offences. However, advised Nigerians travelling outside the country to always follow the proper channels.

“One area that was left out by the minister was the consular issues. I am very delighted that all the key stakeholders are here in this forum. It’s a very serious issue for Nigeria because in Thailand alone, we have close to 1,000 people in jail, which is very embarrassing to our country. So, I am craving the indulgence of the organisers of this event to counsel genuine investors, so that, at least, whenever they are traveling outside Nigeria, they should go through the proper channel,” he stated.

Full story: http://sunnewsonline.com/about-1000-nigerians-in-thailand-prison-ambassador/

-- The Sun News Online 2017-10-20

Not a surprise really tbh. It's not as if most Nigerians are plying an honest trade here that Thailand needs that isn't on the reserved list. They [Nigerians] are even well known in Africa  amongst their piers for being shameless scammers.  

52 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Not a surprise really tbh. It's not as if most Nigerians are plying an honest trade here that Thailand needs that isn't on the reserved list. They [Nigerians] are even well known in Africa  amongst their piers for being shameless scammers.  

I have been contacted by quite a number of honourable gentlemen from Nigeria over the years; all willing to part with their hard-earned millions and billions, and have only been asked to pay a reasonable fee for the transfer. :smile:

I almost never see black folk here in Thailand. I see some girls around soi Nana but apart from that the places I go they are few and far between. I'm very surprised therefore to here this statistic. It can;t be much fun in LOS if you are in a Thai jail.

1 hour ago, yimlitnoy said:

Maybe they should change visa requirements for tourists relative to how many are in jail in Thailand then this is not discrimination, only retribution.

Another poster wrote that there are 1200 aussie's in thai prison...there are 20 million aussie's in total and 186 million nigerians...

So if you get what you asked for we won't see anymore aussie tourists here...

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I wonder is it the fault of Thailand or the fault of those Nigerians

A few years ago I was at the airport to meet a Nigerian Naval Commander, after some waiting when he eventually appeared I apologised for the time it had taken him to clear immigration, explaining that there were always hold ups for the Nigerian men coming through, however he dismissed the apology as totally unnecessary, explaining to me that as it is the fault of the Nigerian government that allows his fellow countrymen to have this reputation and as such they cannot expect any better treatment until they themselves improve their own reputation overseas. 

The Nigerian government advise's the Thai Embassy in their country not to issue a Thailand visa for anyone from Nigeria unless they have the official drugs clearance certificate.

FYI, the guys that say they are from Nigeria''s neighbouring countries are very often Nigerian citizens that cannot qualify for the drugs clearance certificate in Nigeria and revert to other methods to get themselves into Thailand. 

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I almost never see black folk here in Thailand. I see some girls around soi Nana but apart from that the places I go they are few and far between. I'm very surprised therefore to here this statistic. .

You do not see them, because most of them are in jail

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

And they say Racial profiling is wrong ! Do it more. Get the buggers out of here.

Exactly. Lets get all criminals out of here. This includes those holding fake passports, romance and call center scammers, kiddy diddlers(AKA Pedophiles), those involved in prostitution, human traffickers, bikers who beat people up, boiler room crime gangs, counterfeiters, fraudsters and drug pushers. There must also be a thorough check at immigration because some fake tourists are running from the law (AKA Fugitives). No one should be immune! Everyone who fits into any of the above profiles is a bugger and must go!

3 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Maybe they should change visa requirements for tourists relative to how many are in jail in Thailand then this is not discrimination, only retribution.

It seems they HAVE changed visa requirements.  Just the other day I was on a Thai Embassy website looking at who can enter without getting a visa first and it seems most countries in Africa now require a visa first before they can travel to Thailand. No more arriving without a visa.  Ethiopians can travel like before and I think South Africans can too (not sure about that one).  All other Africans now need a visa first (it seems).

13 minutes ago, lostinataxi said:

It seems they HAVE changed visa requirements.  Just the other day I was on a Thai Embassy website looking at who can enter without getting a visa first and it seems most countries in Africa now require a visa first before they can travel to Thailand. No more arriving without a visa.  Ethiopians can travel like before and I think South Africans can too (not sure about that one).  All other Africans now need a visa first (it seems).

Africans also must get their visas in their home country , cannot go to Vientiane for a visa run

A certain university in Papua New Guinea had problems getting Western academic staff, mainly due to safety issues.

A number of Nigerian academics were employed on 3-year contracts.   Following a series of trumped up libel charges, departing staff from other countries were prevented from leaving due to writs served on them.  They had to stay in expensive hotels until the charges were heard or pay up and leave.

There were no contracts renewed.

Archived