NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

DAMN!

It's ALWAYS something, isn't it?  Just got an SMS from AIS :

"For enhanced performance [ha, ha, ha!] AIS PLAYBOX will not support third-party apps installation on the box from Nov 20, 2017 onward. Thank you."

That's a shame!  Assuming this means what it seems to mean, it is a probably a deal-breaker for me. I assume it means that not only will you no longer be able to install new apps, but the ones already installed will no longer work? 

And after all the crap we went through to change providers and get it installed and working.  Sigh!

I have already called to find out how to file an official complaint, Not that it will do any good.  However if this affects you negatively, I strongly encourage you to call and complain to AIS as well:  Mobile #1175

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I just got it too.  Be interesting to see how they plan to do this.  I guess they could do it by firmware update that will zap everything but their installed services from the box and doubtless take down the Play Store.  So, useful paying to upgrade to a box that they now intend to cripple to play ONLY their installed services.  Be interesting to see exactly what this means and how they will do it.

Won't affect me much as I use mine sitting alongside a Shield but that's only because AIS insist on you having their box rather than releasing an APK that their customers can install on a box of their choosing.  For me, that wouldn't have been the Playbox before, definitely wouldn't be if you could can't put anything else on it.  Only bonus I guess is at least it's free.  You'll just need to buy another box if you want other apps or services.

I haven't got the SMS yet but maybe they mean "side loads" versus loads from places like Google Play and they just disable side load capability.

Maybe they are getting too many tech support calls for Playbox problems really caused by loads of third party apps. I wonder if YouTube will even be allowed.

Like letting Google Play update the special HooQ app which then renders the app unable to work with the HooQ service app provided by AIS. Then to get AIS specific HooQ reloaded it requires a Playbox factory reset for the AIS-specific HooQ version to reload to get HooQ working again.

Or maybe AIS is feeling heat from the govt for the Playbox allowing the load of any app which allows streaming from TV/movie sites where the govt can not tax or require a Thai govt operating license of. Beginning in Aug did begin transfer of its Playbox TV services to a subsidiary of AIS in order to separate their internet and TV business units.

Or maybe AIS don't want the extra bandwidth requirement other spps drive. I don't know about the rest of AIS Fibre customers but since late September my international bandwidth is a lot less than for the prevois 15 months I've been with AIS Fibre. Domestic bandwidth still full speed but international bandwidth is a lot less to what I use to get...and I have been complaining to AIS with no improvement in international bandwidth.

I haven't got the SMS yet but maybe they mean "side loads" versus loads from places like Google Play and they just disable side load capability.

Maybe they are getting too many tech support calls for Playbox problems really caused by loads of third party apps. I wonder if YouTube will even be allowed.

Like letting Google Play update the special HooQ app which then renders the app unable to work with the HooQ service app provided by AIS. Then to get AIS specific HooQ reloaded it requires a Playbox factory reset for the AIS-specific HooQ version to reload to get HooQ working again.

Or maybe AIS is feeling heat from the govt for the Playbox allowing the load of any app which allows streaming from TV/movie sites where the govt can not tax or require a Thai govt operating license of. Beginning in Aug did begin transfer of its Playbox TV services to a subsidiary of AIS in order to separate their internet and TV business units.

Or maybe AIS don't want the extra bandwidth requirement other spps drive. I don't know about the rest of AIS Fibre customers but since late September my international bandwidth is a lot less than for the prevois 15 months I've been with AIS Fibre. Domestic bandwidth still full speed but international bandwidth is a lot less to what I use to get...and I have been complaining to AIS with no improvement in international bandwidth.

That's the issue. It's not clear what their definition of 3rd party but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it didn't mean all apps other than theirs, especially with the Hooq issue.

Sent using Tapatalk

As mentioned already there's a difference between "not supported" and "blocked." We'll need to wait and see what it actually means.

Whatever they actually do it's still an Android box and I'm sure there will be a way round it.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

At 3:05pm I called AIS Fibre at 1185 and the Customer Service Rep knew nothing about SMSs going out talking the 3d party app changed effective 20 Nov. 

She put me on hold about 2 minutes as she checked into it.  Came back on and still didn't know anything and asked me again where I heard about the change.  I just said it started appearing on social media this morning from AIS Fibre customers, but I still have not got such a SMS and told her if the change is true I'm going to be one unhappy customer.   She said she will check more into it and call me back on 1 to 2 hours.  

I expect they could just lock down any changes to the AIS launcher/menus to include taking out the selections you click to reach the settings in the Android operating system like being able to turn on the side load of apps....or maybe not even allowing Google Play to be one of the loaded apps.   All updates to the basic Android systems and launcher would only be able to come from AIS Fibre.  Now while I guess some techies might figure out some way to get around that with some hack, for the other 99% of the AIS Fibre customers it would be enough to keep them from adding any 3rd party apps. 

The AIS Fibre rep called back as promised at 3:55pm.  She said after asking around the can not find any information about the SMSs I talked about that other AIS Fibre customers said they are receiving.  She asked did I know the AIS phone number or AIS Fibre subscription number of my friends so she could look into their accounts which implied to me then she might be able to see what they go the SMS.  I said I don't know their subscription number and don't want to hand out their cell phone numbers like as if I knew rexall and Sookee numbers.

And it  wouldn't surprise me for the AIS custumer support reps to be the last ones to know at to info being sent to AIS Customers.

@ Rexall

Sounds like you called AIS Mobile at 1175 versus AIS Fibre at 1185.  Did the AIS Fibre 1175 folks now what you were really taking about...knew about the SMS/change.   Or did they give you blank stare type response.  If you called 1175 maybe the Mobile side is clueless about what is happening on the AIS Fibre side at 1185.  Maybe give AIS Fibre at 1185 a call to see what they say.

@ Sookee,

Maybe you should give 1185 a call also...see what they tell you.

17 minutes ago, Pib said:

The AIS Fibre rep called back as promised at 3:55pm.  She said after asking around the can not find any information about the SMSs I talked about that other AIS Fibre customers said they are receiving.  She asked did I know the AIS phone number or AIS Fibre subscription number of my friends so she could look into their accounts which implied to me then she might be able to see what they go the SMS.  I said I don't know their subscription number and don't want to hand out their cell phone numbers like as if I knew rexall and Sookee numbers.

And it  wouldn't surprise me for the AIS custumer support reps to be the last ones to know at to info being sent to AIS Customers.

@ Rexall

Sounds like you called AIS Mobile at 1175 versus AIS Fibre at 1185.  Did the AIS Fibre 1175 folks now what you were really taking about...knew about the SMS/change.   Or did they give you blank stare type response.  If you called 1175 maybe the Mobile side is clueless about what is happening on the AIS Fibre side at 1185.  Maybe give AIS Fibre at 1185 a call to see what they say.

@ Sookee,

Can't be bothered TBH.  Not really that bothered what they do with it as it's a secondary device used exclusively for their channels, everything else here I do with the Shield.  I do have some other apps installed, like Spotify, so it's easier to just open it on the Playbox if I've been watching AIS channels but it wouldn't bother me if it didn't have those apps any more.  

In all honesty, other than for HBO Go and Sky News, I don't use it much and wouldn't renew it again I think.  I'd probably use it more if they could come up with a good channel guide like True, the AIS guide is a complete disaster IMO with channels appearing in random order and scrolling taking an age.  Gave up with it pretty much.  Not knowing what's on and going to be on, unless I use the web-interface (which is a BIT better), or unless you turn it on and go through channel by channel (and of course, you can't make a Favourites grouping) means I mostly just can't be bothered with it.

I will also say when you now look at the AIS Fibre website when they were hyping their service they had quite a bit in words and images talking about using the "Playbox" for AIS TV/Movie entertainment  "and being able to load apps to do many other things on  the internet."  That support the "Play" in the Playbox's name.

But now their website pretty much only mentions AIS TV/Movie entertainment regarding the Playbox...and when playing the Power4 Package 15 second video on the main page it show shows the Playbox being able to run other apps like Line, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc., for a split second at around the 5 second point in the video.  I know their past advertising use to emphasis how the Playbox could be used to also load a wide variety of app while providing the AIS TV/movie channels.   Maybe this deemphasizing of using 3d party apps on the Playbox is a prelude  to the coming 20 Nov thing mentioned in the SMS  some folks have rec'd. 

At of 4:40pm I still have not rec'd the SMS but I realize AIS Fibre has many customers and would probably take days to send such a SMS to all its customers.  Or maybe they just sent the SMS it to a small number of customers (like a test group) to test the waters on the kind of reaction AIS will get to the 20 Nov change. 

I will lay back until I possibly get the SMS and then I'll call them back.  Right now they make think it's just fake news on social media....or they are clueless at this time....or they do know about the pending change and just playing dumb as instructed by management.

Capture.JPG.85489690cba8a98b9c40835cd2a24f3e.JPG

7 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Can't be bothered TBH.  Not really that bothered what they do with it as it's a secondary device used exclusively for their channels, everything else here I do with the Shield.  I do have some other apps installed, like Spotify, so it's easier to just open it on the Playbox if I've been watching AIS channels but it wouldn't bother me if it didn't have those apps any more.  

In all honesty, other than for HBO Go and Sky News, I don't use it much and wouldn't renew it again I think.  I'd probably use it more if they could come up with a good channel guide like True, the AIS guide is a complete disaster IMO with channels appearing in random order and scrolling taking an age.  Gave up with it pretty much.  Not knowing what's on and going to be on, unless I use the web-interface (which is a BIT better), or unless you turn it on and go through channel by channel (and of course, you can't make a Favourites grouping) means I mostly just can't be bothered with it.

For someone like me who just wants his apps all on "one box" hooked to my TV so I can quickly jump back and forth with one Remote Control between the AIS TV/Movie channels or switch to Youtube....or switch to the CBS News streaming app...or switch to the Kodi app...etc....etc...etc,  I really don't want to have two Android boxes to switch between nor put out the money for another Android box just to set next to the Playbox.

And I want that capability on my upstairs Playbox/TV and downstairs Playbox/TV....don't want to have to buy two more Android boxes to set next to my Playboxes just to switch back and forth to view whatever I want to view.   

1 hour ago, Pib said:

For someone like me who just wants his apps all on "one box" hooked to my TV so I can quickly jump back and forth with one Remote Control between the AIS TV/Movie channels or switch to Youtube....or switch to the CBS News streaming app...or switch to the Kodi app...etc....etc...etc,  I really don't want to have two Android boxes to switch between nor put out the money for another Android box just to set next to the Playbox.

And I want that capability on my upstairs Playbox/TV and downstairs Playbox/TV....don't want to have to buy two more Android boxes to set next to my Playboxes just to switch back and forth to view whatever I want to view.   

Absolutely.  I can understand that for sure, particularly where folks have factored in that these boxes were advertised as being multi app capable.  Believe me, I'd rather have it all on one box too, easily achievable had AIS gone the APK route.  Likely better for them too, wouldn't have to spend to offer these free boxes to customers.

I was in a slightly different position though.  I had the Shield already but fancied the AIS channels.  Trouble is, because AIS haven't gone the APK route to offer their services, I had to agree to have the Playbox sat next to my Shield.  For me the Shield is essential as we watch Netflix a lot and I want it in HD.  Generic boxes (of which the Playbox is one) can no longer even get SD Netflix app from the store, let alone the HD and folks are having difficulty in some cases with side-loaded older APKs.  The way AIS have done is akin to Netflix bringing out their own box and stopping anyone installing their app on any box but their own.  Stupid.

For folks that don't have / need other boxes it'll be just as much of a pain.  The Playbox itself now is quite capable now (though I wish the remote was bluetooth and not IR - it is VERY directional, more so than other IR devices I find) , certainly good enough for Kodi and the other apps such that it could be bought in it's own right as an all in one media centre solution.  For AIS to nuke it overnight would be more than a PITA for them than I'm facing.  I'm not bothered, I have the second box already, no choice, and had it before the Playbox.  It would be a PITA for others who still wanted other services and now have to go out and buy one or more other boxes to get them.

Be interesting to know what triggered this?  If it was Kodi they could have worked a way to block just that install (Amazon are apparently working on it with their latest FTV3, such that it might not even be able to be side loaded - not confirmed on this yet).  If it was the service calls because of the HooQ updates.  That wouldn't surprise me.  "Ah, this is causing us problems - nuke all other apps from our boxes - don't bother about the customers".  Can't really see it being a bandwidth issue.  Folks wanting these other services will be using them with or without Playboxes.  Guess we'll never know.

Part of the problem here, sweeping changes like this can be made overnight regardless of the information previously provided to consumers that will have informed their buying decisions and without the slightest consideration or comeback.  Complain?  Yeah right.  We'll see what that achieves.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the Contact Centre not being aware, most times here I find the same fingers on the same hand don't know what's going on, let alone left / right hands not communicating. FWIW, the name of the sender of the SMS is 'AISPLAYBOX'. Maybe they can find out more by investigating who ever generates messages from that sender.

5 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

As mentioned already there's a difference between "not supported" and "blocked." We'll need to wait and see what it actually means.

Whatever they actually do it's still an Android box and I'm sure there will be a way round it.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

And there is the "root" of the problem...and the solution!

@ Rexall

@ Sookee,

I too received the sms from AIS in Thai, maybe you can forward the sms to them and give them a rant from all of us.

“เพื่อเพิ่มประสิทธิภาพการใช้งาน กล่องAIS PLAYBOXจะไม่รองรับการติดตั้งแอปจากภายนอกลงบนกล่อง ตั้งแต่ 20 พ.ย.60 เป็นต้นไป”

And there is the "root" of the problem...and the solution!
Not really something I've ever needed to do but if you did that wouldn't you nuke the AIS Services. Again not something I've looked into but could their firmware do a kind of self destruct AIS services if you tried to root?

Sent using Tapatalk

I rooted the old model Playbox and all the AIS stuff kept on working.

The purpose of rooting, if done properly, is to give the user and apps access to system files that are normally protected (for good reasons) from being changed by end users who don't know what they're doing. This stops people breaking things by playing with stuff they don't understand (I see this on PCs all the time) and also for system security. Rooting shouldn't affect functionality in any way.

Until we see what they actually do everything is moot anyway. It probably won't be necessary to root; only find a way to side-load a la Amazon Firestick which tries to limit user apps.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

I rooted the old model Playbox and all the AIS stuff kept on working.

The purpose of rooting, if done properly, is to give the user and apps access to system files that are normally protected (for good reasons) from being changed by end users who don't know what they're doing. This stops people breaking things by playing with stuff they don't understand (I see this on PCs all the time) and also for system security. Rooting shouldn't affect functionality in any way.

Until we see what they actually do everything is moot anyway. It probably won't be necessary to root; only find a way to side-load a la Amazon Firestick which tries to limit user apps.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

How did you root your Playbox?

7 hours ago, shariq607 said:

I too received the sms from AIS in Thai, maybe you can forward the sms to them and give them a rant from all of us.

“เพื่อเพิ่มประสิทธิภาพการใช้งาน กล่องAIS PLAYBOXจะไม่รองรับการติดตั้งแอปจากภายนอกลงบนกล่อง ตั้งแต่ 20 พ.ย.60 เป็นต้นไป”

Thanks...the next time I call them which will probably be Monday to formally request they set my AIS-provider optical router into bridge mode  so I can let my new, pricy Asus router take pretty much full control of my home network I will ask them again...and say I have a copy of the SMS.  I asked them about the bride mode thing yesterday if they would do it just to be sure, but said I didn't want to do it just it and the rep said no problem in changing it to bride mode...she would forward a request to their tech support dept who would make the change when I decide I wanted the change.

As of this post I still have not rec'd the above SMS in Thai or English.  And I wonder since the SMS you got is in the Thai language which means AIS probably still has your account preference regarding language desired set to Thai that for us folks who have an account preference of English are still in the queue in getting the SMS.  Maybe AIS is still trying to hire someone who can write the notification in English.

Kidding  about the "translate to English" part because when I call AIS Fibre 1185 I have always got representatives who speak passable English to downright good English.  The rep I talk to yesterday was one of them who spoke downright good English.   

Thanks...the next time I call them which will probably be Monday to formally request they set my AIS-provider optical router into bridge mode  so I can let my new, pricy Asus router take pretty much full control of my home network I will ask them again...and say I have a copy of the SMS.  I asked them about the bride mode thing yesterday if they would do it just to be sure, but said I didn't want to do it just it and the rep said no problem in changing it to bride mode...she would forward a request to their tech support dept who would make the change when I decide I wanted the change.   As of this post I still have not rec'd the above SMS in Thai or English.  And I wonder since the SMS you got is in the Thai language which means AIS probably still has your account preference regarding language desired set to Thai that for us folks who have an account preference of English are still in the queue in getting the SMS.  Maybe AIS is still trying to hire someone who can write the notification in English.  

Kidding  about the "translate to English" part because when I call AIS Fibre 1185 I have always got representatives who speak passable English to downright good English.  The rep I talk to yesterday was one of them who spoke downright good English.   

My preference is set to English and my message came in English so it's not the case that only a Thai language version has gone out.    

One thing that could be worth checking. I noticed a while back that I'd stopped getting SMS from Nok Air and also my bank. Waited a few days to see if it was a glitch but no. So I contacted AIS. Seems something with my account got changed (not by me) which was blocking these non advertising info SMS. They told me to input a code to reset it.

#35*0000*16#

After that I started getting sms again, including AIS.

Might be that you just didn't get the SMS or maybe there's somewhere in the maze of AIS settings where your number is not tied to your Playbox account. Have you been getting other Playbox SMS? There's been a few of late. Maybe worth checking with AIS about using that code just in case the reason for non receipt is a problem your end.

Sent using Tapatalk

I haven't received any SMSes, or messages on the Playbox interface - the "bell" icon, and am not sure how they'll implement whatever it is they're planning to do.

That said, it is a pretty lamely-specced box (8 GB/1 GB - my early version at least) and challenging to run a whole lot of third-party apps on. I am running Kodi (16), and a few APKs, but only as a last-gasp measure. I did load the NFL GamePass app, and that did run fine for a free-trial. There are some good free channels, and the box does play almost any media file I've thrown at it on the USB interface (using MX Player), but if I used an Android box a lot I'd definitely buy a more full-featured device. Having an extra device isn't particularly challenging, but it would be ideal if we could run the AIS app on another box -  a topic which we've discussed a few times here.

I haven't received any SMSes, or messages on the Playbox interface - the "bell" icon, and am not sure how they'll implement whatever it is they're planning to do.  

That said, it is a pretty lamely-specced box (8 GB/1 GB - my early version at least) and challenging to run a whole lot of third-party apps on. I am running Kodi (16), and a few APKs, but only as a last-gasp measure. I did load the NFL GamePass app, and that did run fine for a free-trial. There are some good free channels, and the box does play almost any media file I've thrown at it on the USB interface (using MX Player), but if I used an Android box a lot I'd definitely buy a more full-featured device. Having an extra device isn't particularly challenging, but it would be ideal if we could run the AIS app on another box -  a topic which we've discussed a few times here.

I upgraded mine to the v2 box and it went from being a box that was barely usable to a much more pleasant experience. I'd say the specs of the new box are as good as most of the generic boxes out there and better than many, especially for the upgrade cost of 659฿. Of course, that won't count for much if they nuke its capabilities.

I seem to recall I wasn't receiving much from Playbox but IIRC one day I was delving around in account settings either in my account on their web service page or on the My AIS app. I did have to link my fibre account on My AIS too. Long time ago and I'm not sure exactly everything I did now. But after linking it all up, which I thought they'd do automatically, I started getting more.  

Sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

My preference is set to English and my message came in English so it's not the case that only a Thai language version has gone out.    

One thing that could be worth checking. I noticed a while back that I'd stopped getting SMS from Nok Air and also my bank. Waited a few days to see if it was a glitch but no. So I contacted AIS. Seems something with my account got changed (not by me) which was blocking these non advertising info SMS. They told me to input a code to reset it.

#35*0000*16#

After that I started getting sms again, including AIS.

Might be that you just didn't get the SMS or maybe there's somewhere in the maze of AIS settings where your number is not tied to your Playbox account. Have you been getting other Playbox SMS? There's been a few of late. Maybe worth checking with AIS about using that code just in case the reason for non receipt is a problem your end.

Sent using Tapatalk

My phone service is with DTAC; not AIS.  Anyway, I'm getting non-advertising type SMSs from DTAC, AIS, etc.  But my last SMS from AIS was 8 Oct 17.  I'll ask them again early next week when I make the bridge call.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yea, your still have old/original box....the new one/Version 2 so to speak has much more horsepower....see this partial quote and post/thread below comparing the old and new/upgraded boxes.  To upgrade your current box it costs Bt650 and AIS bills that charge on your monthly bill.  To get extra boxes, it's Bt1000 for each extra box when they deliver the box then a monthly Bt100/mo charge for each "extra" box. 

Update:  Got my original Playbox replaced/upgraded and a 2nd Playbox installed today.

The original Playbox I got in July 16 when first getting AIS Fibre had the basic specs of:

- ARM Qaud Core A9r4 CPU (4 cores)

- ARM Octa Mali 600Mhz GPU (up  to 8 cores)

- 1GB RAM

- 8GB Flash Memory

- 2.4Ghz Wifi

- Android 4.4.2 KitKat

The upgraded/replacement and 2nd box I got today has the basic specs of:

- ARM Octa-core A53 CPU (8 cores)

- ARM Mali T820MP3 750Mhz GPU (4 cores I think)

- 2GB RAM

-16GB Flash Memory

- 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi

- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

1 hour ago, GLewis said:

AIS initially said they would include the NBA channel in their advertising. It was never a part of the package and simply a lie. I am watching it right now on Modbro

Yes, AIS did announce that they had some NBA "rights" back in March, I think.

AFAIK, AIS only has the local (Thailand) rights for mobile streaming of the NBA, while TrueVisions retains the "traditional" broadcast rights (Channel 674, NBA HD).

I think they were showing two free games each week during last season.

So I think you need to run the AIS Play app on Android or iPhone, AND subscribe to a "premium" NBA package: League Pass, Game Choice or Team Choice. No clue if this would be linked to a post-paid AIS mobile account? Or can somehow be linked to an AIS Fibre account? 

You can cast the AIS Play app to TV, using something like Chromecast. With an OTP sent via SMS to an AIS-SIM-equipped phone you can then stream over WiFi as well.

It's all a bit confusing I imagine.

nba.jpg

On 10/20/2017 at 4:20 PM, Pib said:

@ Rexall

@ Sookee,

The poor woman had no clue as to what I was talking about. Told me pretty much the same thing you heard; they had to check the SMS.  Her English was fine for basic issues, but not for this.  It seemed she was desperately repeating canned phrases they gave her in training class hoping that would mollify me, but it was just making me more frustrated and angry.  I asked more than once to speak to a manager but she said they would not talk to me.  Pretty shitty of management to hider behind her skirts, throwing her to the big, bad falang in a situation where she was completely out of her depth. 

The theory of conserving bandwidth or blocking unlicensed content is pretty weak considering that any android box.

It's too bad.  They just hit my price point.  B899 is not bad at all for what you get, especially if it is hassle-free. Worse comes to worse, I'll just cancel, get a good android box, and submit to the learning curve to load Kodi with addons.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:20 PM, Pib said:

On 10/20/2017 at 4:37 PM, SooKee said:

<snip>

In all honesty, other than for HBO Go and Sky News, I don't use it much and wouldn't renew it again I think.  I'd probably use it more if they could come up with a good channel guide like True, the AIS guide is a complete disaster IMO with channels appearing in random order and scrolling taking an age. 

A good channel guide would be a BIG improvement.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:51 PM, Pib said:

It could be worse than that.  If you wanted to cancel Playbox and change to android and kodi or whatever, AIS might try to charge you for early cancellation for  the waived installation fees, around B4000 or something.  They would probably back down eventually, but another hassle to go through. 

Archived