NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

11 hours ago, SooKee said:

Guess so.  Tried again and the movie just freezes frame.  Oh well ?  Chalk it up.

Got an SMS from them today about HooQ to be charged at 119 pm from tomorrow.  Anniversary of my PB related contract I guess.  Cancelled it.

Yea, my contract anniversary is in early Sep and I will be dropping the free HooQ also but not by calling up just to say cancel the HooQ but by switching to an updated plan.  The new/update plan released just a few weeks ago gives me everything I now have in terms of a 200//50 plan, mobile unlimited data SIM, and Platinum TV package but is several hundred baht cheaper per month that my current plan.   Plans just keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a surprise.  Got the new Playbox remote in my post box today.  Inside was a flyer saying along the lines of "Thank you for your continued support of AIS.  Please accept this free updated remote worth 300 baht".  Of course, I can't use it fully yet, box still not updated LOL.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

Well that was a surprise.  Got the new Playbox remote in my post box today.  Inside was a flyer saying along the lines of "Thank you for your continued support of AIS.  Please accept this free updated remote worth 300 baht".  Of course, I can't use it fully yet, box still not updated LOL.

Well, that's interesting....I wonder if all Playbox customers will get updated remote versus ordering them like I did.

Yeah. Not sure whether it's tied to how long you've been a customer or how much you've spent.

As you've said before the remote is certainly more responsive than the old one. The Favourites and number pad are of no use currently though, still no update here.

Contacted AIS by email yesterday about the update, having got the new remote seems it would be better to have the update to use the features (number buttons and Favourites). Called me back today, asked for the serial number and said they'd get the engineers to push it.  She did say you won't be able to install apps etc is that OK?  So not sure if they've stopped the roll-out, wouldn't have thought so, but it's been a while since others were updated.  Not bothered about 3rd party apps as I use the Shield that runs them all much better anyway.  Will see what happens.  Hopefully I won't regret it ?

I think you prefer the new app over the old app....I do.  Except there are still a few dual language channels that don't always automatically selected your Preferred Audio of English.   But you can manually change to English when on a channel that has dual audio....takes about 5 seconds of button pushing.   There use to be a half dozen dual language channels where they always played Thai vs my preferred audio of English..but now there is only two or so and sometimes they they work...English starts playing...other times I have to do the manual audio switch thing.

The other issue is probably at least once a week when bringing the Playbox out of standby/sleep it can't reconnect to the internet immediately....it might take  15 to 30 seconds or not be able to at all without turning the box off and on...then it connects.  Both of my boxes do this.  No pattern...purely random.  Sometimes it might be after being in standby over night or 5 minutes....sometimes it might go a week or two without doing it....other times it might do it every day for a few days....just no pattern.   

I have tried every possible network tweak on the Playbox and my routers.  But my old model box did the same thing.  My other Android boxes, like my Shield and Mi box 3, and my smartTV has no problem always getting an internet connection (IP address) each and every time.  I figure its just an AIS TV network or Playbox or AIS Play app issue....maybe just in my area...maybe everywhere. 

All other issues I whined about when they neutered my box back in early May such as all or some of the TV channels not playing has been cleared up for around 2 months...guess AIS worked out those issues.

And like you I just use my other boxes, like my Shield box, for other apps I want to use.   

PIB, I have had several different brands of android tv boxes including the Playbox and they all have the connection issues you describe.  Sometimes the audio does not come on for several seconds or even minutes.  But--get this--if I unplug the teevee (not the box) and immediately plug it in again, the audio comes on immediately. Can't figure that one out.  I suspect that a LAN connection will fix the problems, and am trying  to motivate myself to run cables from my router to teevees upstairs and downstairs.  

14 hours ago, Pib said:

[snip]

And like you I just use my other boxes, like my Shield box, for other apps I want to use.   

Warning Will Robinson!  I just returned a brand new Shield to Amazon. Really disappointed!  After futzing around with it, internet research confirmed what I had already figured out. Shield version of the Google Play Store only provides access to a handful of apps (literally!), and there is no direct way to switch to Nova Launcher.  From what I learned, this was--as one would expect--quite easy on previous releases, but that nVIDIA deliberately made it difficult (essentially impossible for non-techies) in subsequent updates. There are rather complicated work-arounds with (for me) a steep learning curve, but I decided not to bother with them fearing that the next update might prevent them from working, and I would have to do it all over again. It seems the Shield (as sweet as the technology is compared to other boxes) has become just an expensive Roku, acting as a pimp for Nutflux, Hulu, Plex and other paid services (which might only be stripped-down versions in Thailand anyway). 

As my contract ended this month, I have already returned my evil Playboxes to AIS and will make do with my two Beelinks which are not bad at all for the price. I was so pissed at AIS that I tried to switch to 3BB, but now evil, smelly foreigners (at least in Khon Kaen) are required to pay 6 months in advance!  I didn't have that problem when I signed up with them previously.  And they didn't care that I had been a loyal customer for several years before I switched to AIS simply to get the Playbox!  Life is complicated in paradise, ain't it?

26 minutes ago, rexall said:

PIB, I have had several different brands of android tv boxes including the Playbox and they all have the connection issues you describe.  Sometimes the audio does not come on for several seconds or even minutes.  But--get this--if I unplug the teevee (not the box) and immediately plug it in again, the audio comes on immediately. Can't figure that one out.  I suspect that a LAN connection will fix the problems, and am trying  to motivate myself to run cables from my router to teevees upstairs and downstairs.  

My problems occur whether using an ethernet or Wifi connection.   I have both boxes hooked up with an ethernet connection.

3 minutes ago, rexall said:

Warning Will Robinson!  I just returned a brand new Shield to Amazon. Really disappointed!  After futzing around with it, internet research confirmed what I had already figured out. Shield version of the Google Play Store only provides access to a handful of apps (literally!), and there is no direct way to switch to Nova Launcher.  From what I learned, this was--as one would expect--quite easy on previous releases, but that nVIDIA deliberately made it difficult (essentially impossible for non-techies) in subsequent updates. There are rather complicated work-arounds with (for me) a steep learning curve, but I decided not to bother with them fearing that the next update might prevent them from working, and I would have to do it all over again. It seems the Shield (as sweet as the technology is compared to other boxes) has become just an expensive Roku, acting as a pimp for Nutflux, Hulu, Plex and other paid services (which might only be stripped-down versions in Thailand anyway). 

Sounds like when you ordered the Shield you didn't understand Shield runs Android TV not regular Android.   Android TV is geared for watching TV/movies/videos and not running all the various Android apps.   Android TV will still run many apps written for regular Android but you need to side-load them.   TV/movie/video apps written for Android TV are much easier to use as you lean-back in your easy chair to watch and only a simple Android TV remote is needed; not a keyboard, not a mouse, etc.

Research confirmed that on  previous versions of Shield, switching to a different launcher/interface was straight-forward.  Yes, teevee and movies are "much easier to use" if you care to subscribe to the  paid services on offer such as Netflix.  The Thailand Netflix library offers only a fraction of the titles available to U.S. users. 

If your primary goal for getting an Android box to hook to your TV is to watch free and/or paid video content using a simple TV type remote control, then go with Android TV boxes.   And of course you can play various games on Android TV.   Not nearly as many Android TV apps on Google Play as regular Android apps but keep in mind most regular Android apps have nothing to do with watching video content/playing games.

But if your primary goal is wanting the ability to run thousands of Android apps where you can watch video content and run other apps like maybe you have you smartphone (some apps that do neat things and some apps that do nothing more than check battery status, turn your flash into a flashlight, etc) then go with a regular Android box and associated keyboard and/or mouse.

20 hours ago, SooKee said:

Contacted AIS by email yesterday about the update, having got the new remote seems it would be better to have the update to use the features (number buttons and Favourites). Called me back today, asked for the serial number and said they'd get the engineers to push it.  She did say you won't be able to install apps etc is that OK?  So not sure if they've stopped the roll-out, wouldn't have thought so, but it's been a while since others were updated.  Not bothered about 3rd party apps as I use the Shield that runs them all much better anyway.  Will see what happens.  Hopefully I won't regret it ?

You also understand you have freely asked and consented to be "neutered"...and AIS has beaten you. ?

But hey, that's really no different than "forced neutering (like happened to me)"... and AIS beating me.  

I wonder what percentage of Playbox customers haven't been neutered yet?   And I've always wondered what the AIS implementation plan/schedule was for neutering all Playboxes because based on posts in the this thread I couldn't see any pattern.  Oh well, it's probably some mystery of life which will never be known.

But as mentioned earlier IMO the new AIS Play app/interface that runs on neutered boxes is much better than the old AIS Play app/interface that runs on un-neutered boxes and is basically identical to the one you can install on your smartphone/tablet. 

Don't know if you guys have ever run some speed tests while your Playbox(es) are streaming AIS TV/movies to see if the speed to your other devices is degraded.   I have and notice zero speed/bandwidth degradation to my other devices such as my computers, smartphones, tablets, other Android boxes, etc.    I have an 200/50Mb internet plan.

Like I just turned on both Playboxes, set them to both playing Channel 7 "HD" and then ran multiple speed tests on my laptop over a several minutes period.  The Playboxes are hooked up via ethernet connections and my computer/other devices via Wifi.    My speed tests results are below....and I could turn both boxes off I get the same basic speed results. 

Since there is no speed impact on my other devices when running the Playboxes maybe I should just leave them turned on all the time versus putting them in standby/sleep when not watching TV....that's one way to get rid of the occasional can not connect to internet issue.  Tests below run around 10:41am today.

Speedtest.net to Bangkok

7592920111.png

Testmy.net to Singapore

Thr4kcMj1.png

I think you prefer the new app over the old app....I do.  Except there are still a few dual language channels that don't always automatically selected your Preferred Audio of English.   But you can manually change to English when on a channel that has dual audio....takes about 5 seconds of button pushing.   There use to be a half dozen dual language channels where they always played Thai vs my preferred audio of English..but now there is only two or so and sometimes they they work...English starts playing...other times I have to do the manual audio switch thing.  

The other issue is probably at least once a week when bringing the Playbox out of standby/sleep it can't reconnect to the internet immediately....it might take  15 to 30 seconds or not be able to at all without turning the box off and on...then it connects.  Both of my boxes do this.  No pattern...purely random.  Sometimes it might be after being in standby over night or 5 minutes....sometimes it might go a week or two without doing it....other times it might do it every day for a few days....just no pattern.   

I have tried every possible network tweak on the Playbox and my routers.  But my old model box did the same thing.  My other Android boxes, like my Shield and Mi box 3, and my smartTV has no problem always getting an internet connection (IP address) each and every time.  I figure its just an AIS TV network or Playbox or AIS Play app issue....maybe just in my area...maybe everywhere. 

All other issues I whined about when they neutered my box back in early May such as all or some of the TV channels not playing has been cleared up for around 2 months...guess AIS worked out those issues.

I'm guessing I will. Getting the update is the only issue now :(

As I've said before, the neutering doesn't bother me, I use the Playbox only for AIS. I wasn't impressed enough to buy the new remote though admittedly it is better, command transmission wise. But having got it for free I'd rather have the update to be able to use Favourites and the number keys.

I too wonder what their plans are. I'll see how they go with pushing it. As you say, I wonder how many remain not updated. Makes you wonder if some got lost in the ether when they changed the service provider. If the push doesn't come soon I'll try for a replacement along the lines of I can't use the functionality I'm paying before. They're normally pretty accommodating.

As ever, I remain very impressed with the Shield. Just about buying the right box for your needs. On the Netflix side, Thailand Netflix maybe more limited than the US catalogue. That's easily got round with a VPN, as is Amazon Prime. They keep adding new material and I keep adding to my playlist such that it'll take me a few years to plough through it. Never used the VPN on it yet. And, seeing as I DID buy the Shield for Netflix and such like, it's one of the few boxes that gets Netflix HD, unlike generic boxes that will get 720 max, IF you're lucky. When I'm watching TV I also vastly prefer the Android TV interface over the mobile phone interface of generic boxes, another reason why I never bother with apps on the Playbox. Horses for courses :)

Update came today, first one then another as soon as the first had been applied.  Nothing came yesterday so I dropped them another mail, called me back today and the updates came within the hour.

The new app/UI is indeed MUCH better, chalk and cheese really.  Handy to be able to drop down to other channels while still watching another and flick through to see what's up next and after, even better that you can do this from a block of favourites.  Altogether a much better UI and a much better user experience.  Would have sought it out earlier, but was concerned the language issues hadn't been sorted out. All working for me on the channels I watch, at least for now.

Welcome to the Playbox neutered club...please scratch out the "Play" portion of the Playbox name as it now just another TV box.  I have got over my Playbox neutering after counseling and liking the AIS app/UI interface much better than the old one.

After my initial neutering in early May I also go an update a few weeks/around a month later...some post in this thread talks that update....it didn't change or help with anything I could see.  

Yes, welcome to the club.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine updated today, and good news. (Old version box 4.4.2) back to working order with playstore and everything, except notification bar.

Symptoms :

• All of google services and framework are removed after an OTA update.

• Original Android Package Installer was crippled, can’t install any app.

• Android setting is hidden inside Setting > Advanced setting

Theoretical solution :

• Restore the crippled package installer.

• Reinstall all of google services.

Practical solution :

Hardware Prerequisite :

1. Laptop / PC

2. Micro USB to USB-A OTG Cable  (smartphone charger cable)

3. Mouse & Keyboard for PLAYBOX

Software Prerequisite :

1. ADB [https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip ]

2. Android 4.4.2 Package Installer [https://github.com/sbdags/CM-11.0-CROMBi-kk-4.4.2-TF700T/raw/master/system/app/PackageInstaller.apk ]

3. APK Pure [https://apkpure.com/apkpure/com.apkpure.aegon/download?from=aegon  ]      

4. Nova Launcher (or any launcher you prefer) [https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/teslacoil-software/nova-launcher/nova-launcher-5-5-4-release/nova-launcher-5-5-4-android-apk-download/download/ ]

Skills Prerequisite :

1. Basic windows, internet and cmd understanding

2. Basic android operating system understanding

Steps

1. Download all Software Prerequisite

2. Extract #1 ADB with winzip/winrar to desktop, you will get platform-tools folder, copy all downloaded file from #2,3,4 into this folder

3. In AIS PLAYBOX > Setting > Advanced Setting > About

4. Click on Build number 7 times (may required mouse).

5. Back to main Android Setting page > Developer Option

6. Turn on USB Debugging

7. Plug Micro USB into OTG port on AIS PLAYBOX and USB-A to your PC

8. Go to your extracted ADB platform-tools folder > Shift + Right Click on empty space

9. Select open command prompt / cmd window here

10. Type adb devices into cmd, if a device is shown then you’re good to go on the next step

11. Type adb install -r PackageInstaller.apk, then enter and wait for the word success

12. Type adb install APKPure_v2.13.3_apkpure.com.apk (version number may vary) then enter and wait for the word success

13. Type adb install com.teslacoilsw.launcher_5.5.4-59400_minAPI16(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk (you can use your prefered launcher here if any)

14. Go to Android Setting in AIS PLAYBOX > Launcher > set nova launcher as default

15. Press home on your remote to test if nova launcher is working

16. Go into nova launcher app drawer and open APK PURE

17. Search for 'google service framework' and install

18. Search for 'google play service' and install

19. Search for 'google account manager' and install

20. Search for 'google playstore' and install

21. Restart AIS PLAYBOX after everything is installed

22. Now, try open google playstore app, if success you should get a google account prompt like any normal android smartphone.

23. Enjoy your freedom...

Had yet another SMS from AIS today regarding the firmware update with a link to a YT user guide (can't recall if the last sms had that), this time giving Sept 17 as the date.  Maybe they've fixed whatever they needed to fix and are resuming the roll out.

Had yet another SMS from AIS today regarding the firmware update with a link to a YT user guide (can't recall if the last sms had that), this time giving Sept 17 as the date.  Maybe they've fixed whatever they needed to fix and are resuming the roll out.
YT as in YouTube? Sept "17"? Me no understand.

YT as in YouTube? Sept "17"? Me no understand.

What's hard to understand about 'Sept 17 as the date'? I'm sure you can work it out if you really try. There's a clue with the last word. Others may have less difficulty [emoji4]

Posted using Tapatalk

On 7/1/2018 at 8:37 PM, Pib said:

I'm pretty sure AIS is going to "keep you in suspense, looking over your shoulder" as long as they can.  You might end up being the Last Mochian. ?

Kinda glad now they neutered my two boxes back in early May...I no longer have to worry "will today be the day?"   Now I only have to worry will the boxes stream properly today.

I finally got this dreaded software update for my media box. CNN was included in the free package before the upgrade, but sadly it is now a subscribe only channel. 

12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I finally got this dreaded software update for my media box. CNN was included in the free package before the upgrade, but sadly it is now a subscribe only channel. 

Strange how free stuff which is suppose to be free for a limited/specific time ends up continuing to be free for much longer for some folks....like ExpatOilWorker's case.  When CNN first came to AIS TV on 15 Feb 18 it was suppose to be free for everyone for a 7-day period....just the 15-22 Feb 18 period.  Beyond 22 Feb a person would need to be on the Platinum TV package to continue to get CNN.  At the bottom of this post see the partial quote/post from February talking about it.    But over the last few months I've see other ThaiVisa posts saying their free CNN access just disappeared one day after lasting much longer than the 7 day free period....those folks who did not have the Platinum TV add-on.

Heck, even I'm still getting something free that is not suppose to be free....suppose to cost an extra Bt200/month...and that is a Public IPv4 address.   Apparently about a year ago AIS just gave me a public IPv4 address in trying to fix my much lower than normal international speed.  The Public IPv4 address did not fix the international speed problem (which did get fixed a few weeks later), but ever since then I've had a Public IPv4 address versus being behind their CNAT...and no extra Bt200 charge.  And a few weeks ago I enter into a new 12 month subscription versus just letting my old one roll over at a higher cost...the new subscription at same speed/same capabilities was almost 50% cheaper for the first 3 months (even included free Platinum TV package for 3 months) but once I start paying for the Platinum TV add-on at month 4 it ends up being about 15% cheaper than my previous subscription.   Anyway, I thought my Public IPv4 address might revert back to a CNAT IP address when the new 12 month subscription started but it didn't....still got it. 

Maybe X-amount of things must still manually controlled/triggered by AIS versus automatically occurring on a specific date/time.  That is, instead of just automatically occurring when the clock strikes midnight it takes a technician to manually trigger the event after review of your account.   As slow as this box neutering has been occurring there just don't seem to be any pattern.  With the exception of new subscription periods starting, it's almost like "certain events" can only occur when Somchai the AIS Tech gets around to review of your account and manually clicks his keyboard to trigger a certain action on your account.  Who knows....I sure don't.   But I sure know for the many years I was with TrueVisions whenever they did a TV box update every six months or so they advertised the upcoming change for about two weeks before the specific date and then on that specific date usually  between midnight and 6am everyone would get their box updated as TrueVisions pushed the update out to "everyone" over that approx 6 hour period.   Now if True can update their many TV boxes over a six hour period I don't see why AIS couldn't do the same with their boxes.....but for some reason they don't or can't.  Who knows....I sure don't.   

But after saying all of this the new AIS TV app you get when your box is neutered is a LOT better than the old AIS TV app on an neutered box.  But there is still the dual language audio issue (i.e., defaulting to your preferred audio language) on some channels for some shows...and sometimes these channels/shows do "not" have dual audio issue.  But over the last month or two the dual audio issue has went from around 6 channels having the issue to around 2 channels...and as mentioned sometimes those 2 channels do "not" have the issue.  I think it something to do with the AIS TV servers end versus the issue being caused on the box...just the audio coding in the stream for that particular channel/show.

Partial Quote

I began to wonder if that meant it might be a temporary thing but after doing some googling I found below Thai webpage that had some info on the CNN channel add.  The webpage says it free to all AIS TV subscribers from 15-22 Feb 18 (i.e, for a week).....after that you can only get if if having one of the premium TV add-on packages.   For me, that explains the Test On Air note on the screen.

I've had the occasional dual language glitch with Fox Action Movies, others seem to be fine, but at least it can be changed by toggling language preferences.

The programme guide I also find fairly useful in that at least the movie channels can be selected in a block.  Not yet found a way to jump to a channel via the Penang though.  It also seems to only go through to the end of the day, doesn't advance beyond that.  That said I haven't used it much yet so there may be a way to do these things.  The whole Home /AIS app though is way better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 12:20 AM, genozide13 said:

I just got mine updated today, and good news. (Old version box 4.4.2) back to working order with playstore and everything, except notification bar.

Symptoms :

• All of google services and framework are removed after an OTA update.

• Original Android Package Installer was crippled, can’t install any app.

• Android setting is hidden inside Setting > Advanced setting

Theoretical solution :

• Restore the crippled package installer.

• Reinstall all of google services.

Practical solution :

Hardware Prerequisite :

1. Laptop / PC

2. Micro USB to USB-A OTG Cable  (smartphone charger cable)

3. Mouse & Keyboard for PLAYBOX

Software Prerequisite :

1. ADB [https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip ]

2. Android 4.4.2 Package Installer [https://github.com/sbdags/CM-11.0-CROMBi-kk-4.4.2-TF700T/raw/master/system/app/PackageInstaller.apk ]

3. APK Pure [https://apkpure.com/apkpure/com.apkpure.aegon/download?from=aegon  ]      

4. Nova Launcher (or any launcher you prefer) [https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/teslacoil-software/nova-launcher/nova-launcher-5-5-4-release/nova-launcher-5-5-4-android-apk-download/download/ ]

Skills Prerequisite :

1. Basic windows, internet and cmd understanding

2. Basic android operating system understanding

Steps

1. Download all Software Prerequisite

2. Extract #1 ADB with winzip/winrar to desktop, you will get platform-tools folder, copy all downloaded file from #2,3,4 into this folder

3. In AIS PLAYBOX > Setting > Advanced Setting > About

4. Click on Build number 7 times (may required mouse).

5. Back to main Android Setting page > Developer Option

6. Turn on USB Debugging

7. Plug Micro USB into OTG port on AIS PLAYBOX and USB-A to your PC

8. Go to your extracted ADB platform-tools folder > Shift + Right Click on empty space

9. Select open command prompt / cmd window here

10. Type adb devices into cmd, if a device is shown then you’re good to go on the next step

11. Type adb install -r PackageInstaller.apk, then enter and wait for the word success

12. Type adb install APKPure_v2.13.3_apkpure.com.apk (version number may vary) then enter and wait for the word success

13. Type adb install com.teslacoilsw.launcher_5.5.4-59400_minAPI16(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk (you can use your prefered launcher here if any)

14. Go to Android Setting in AIS PLAYBOX > Launcher > set nova launcher as default

15. Press home on your remote to test if nova launcher is working

16. Go into nova launcher app drawer and open APK PURE

17. Search for 'google service framework' and install

18. Search for 'google play service' and install

19. Search for 'google account manager' and install

20. Search for 'google playstore' and install

21. Restart AIS PLAYBOX after everything is installed

22. Now, try open google playstore app, if success you should get a google account prompt like any normal android smartphone.

23. Enjoy your freedom...

This basic procedure also works with the newest box and update with a few minor modifications.
4 Don't need a mouse
6a  Turn off updates in the developer settings, Go to security settings and turn on Unknown Sources.
9 Windows 10 use Power shell and run commands from there.

10 I had to click on a prompt on the Playbox to allow my computer to connect

11 There is already a package installer so can skip this step.
12 APKpure opens up up turned sideways later so is very dificult to use and i couldn't find a way of using it. I installed ES explorer-3.2.5.5 instead. This is the last version that doesn't have all of the intrusive adverts. 
14 There is no AIS PLAYBOX > Launcher > command. At this point power the box off and when it restarts it will ask you which launcher to use. select Nova and Every time.
17-21 After doing this the first time My box went into a loop with google service framework turning on and off continuously. Even after a restart. I had to do a wipe and factory reset from the recovery via ADB. After that I redid all of the steps without this part.

In my case I don't mind using a cloud account  and Es explorer to copy programs to the download folder and then using the package installer to install apk from there. Trying to install them directly from Es explorer wasn't possible for some reason, install button wouldn't highlight and couldn't click on it with a mouse either. A later version of Es Explorer may work better. Could also copy apk files to a USB stick and install them that way too.
What i don't know yet is if turning off the updates in Developer setting will stop the updates from AIS. 
I don't use Kodi/spmc very much so didn't try to install it. IPTV Smarters and apps like terranium worked well.

The original AIS play app also works but as it is a launcher itself there is not an easy way to exit from it after it is started the return button doesn't take you out. I was  using an air mouse so the home button took me back. I will try the original remote later and see if that also works. If not may have to restart to get back. 

The original remote home button does take you back to the Nova launcher after using the AIS play to watch Thai TV.
The other interesting thing that I have noticed is that it appears to be Android TV ready so i may try to load Leanback Launcher to see if it works. Hal launcher already works and is more customizable than Leanback so may just stay with that until i can find a way of re enabling Google play.

• 8 months later...

Archived