NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

16 minutes ago, rexall said:

The poor woman had no clue as to what I was talking about. Told me pretty much the same thing you heard; they had to check the SMS.  Her English was fine for basic issues, but not for this.  It seemed she was desperately repeating canned phrases they gave her in training class hoping that would mollify me, but it was just making me more frustrated and angry.  I asked more than once to speak to a manager but she said they would not talk to me.  Pretty shitty of management to hider behind her skirts, throwing her to the big, bad falang in a situation where she was completely out of her depth. 

Like I mentioned earlier sometimes the Customer Service Reps (CSR) seem to be clueless, the last to know, or have been instructed by management to play dumb on certain issues. 

And I'm not just talking about AIS CSRs but many different company CSRs I've dealt with over my lifetime, both here in Thailand and back in Farang Land.  When I use to be with TrueMobile they were the worst.   Yea, on some issues some CSRs get you mad during the call and/or leave you mad after hanging of the phone because they didn't come close to being able to properly respond to your questions/fix your problem.  Of course many customers call mad already, but some CSRs can get even a calm person made.

And I don't know if you ever called AIS Fibre 1185, a CSR does not immediately answer, after a few recorded responses saying something along the lines of  hold on and we'll be right with you, it then says no CSR is available right now as they are all busy assisting customers...please leave a short message and someone will call you back within 30 minutes.  You start talking to leave a short message and your call back number but they only give you about 3 seconds to leave a message....not even long enough to even say one sentence and leave your call back number in case the number you are calling from does record in their system.   That is enough to piss you off right there.  But call again in 10 minutes and you often get a CSR right off the bat.  Yea, the AIS Fibre system to leave a message is really geared not to support leaving a message.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, SooKee said:

<snip>

Part of the problem here, sweeping changes like this can be made overnight regardless of the information previously provided to consumers that will have informed their buying decisions and without the slightest consideration or comeback.  Complain?  Yeah right.  We'll see what that achieves.

<snip>

Well, that is exactly the issue. For peeps who don't care about being able to install additional apps, it is not a problem. Some, however, may not use the AIS programming as much as they use the other android facilities.  So, AIS is clawing back some or much of the functionality that customers were inticed into and already paid for. In my case, I had been with 3BB fibre for years, ever since it became available in our village. I had no interest in changing except for the Playbox thing.  I also cancelled my local cable.  Cheap as it was, it stopped being worth it after they dumped Fox, Warner and a couple of others.  Universal/SyFu pulled out of Asia, so they were already gone as well.

Well, that is exactly the issue. For peeps who don't care about being able to install additional apps, it is not a problem. Some, however, may not use the AIS programming as much as they use the other android facilities.  So, AIS is clawing back some or much of the functionality that customers were inticed into and already paid for. In my case, I had been with 3BB fibre for years, ever since it became available in our village. I had no interest in changing except for the Playbox thing.  I also cancelled my local cable.  Cheap as it was, it stopped being worth it after they dumped Fox, Warner and a couple of others.  Universal/SyFu pulled out of Asia, so they were already gone as well.

You can get a quite decent Android box from Lazada for less than 2000 baht, so that's the max that you stand to lose if AIS cripples their box.

So, so many boxes to choose from on Lazada and other sites....so many manufactures a person never heard of....mass produced for a short term contract like make 10,000 and that's it.    I expect some are good; some not so good.

Any recommendations for a "good" one that can be bought locally or received via mail "without customs?"  I'd like to buy a Nvidia Shield locally but where?

28 minutes ago, Pib said:

So, so many boxes to choose from on Lazada and other sites....so many manufactures a person never heard of....mass produced for a short term contract like make 10,000 and that's it.    I expect some are good; some not so good.

Any recommendations for a "good" one that can be bought locally or received via mail "without customs?"  I'd like to buy a Nvidia Shield locally but where?

Shield: https://www.thainexusman.com/category/66/android-tv-and-chromecast/nvidia-shield-android-tv

For generic boxes I'd look at the Beelink GT1 or GT1 Ultimate on Lazada.  Check the reviews to see if they offer what you want.  The Roberto Jorge site on YouTube has reviewed many boxes and IIRC contains reviews of these boxes plus the two below. I also like the Minix U1 / U9, but pricier than the Beelinks at around 4K plus.

If you do or think you might want to use Netflix or Amazon Prime bear in mind that none of the generic boxes can get either of those services in HD.

If you want an Android TV box (which is the OS the Shield runs), the Xiaomi Mi is available at around 2,400, AND gets Netflix in HD.  Wifi only though.  The common apps are mostly available on Android TV, especially iFlix and HooQ.  Others may need side-loading.

The Shield is outstanding.

Also look at the Terrarium app.

Hopefully most folks will have ordered the PB because they wanted and still want the AIS channels so may not be losing out as such.  Just a pain if AIS do nuke them.  Personally I'd wait and see what they do.

SooKee,

Thanks.  Did you buy from Thainexusman man and if so did you buy a Shield?  If so, did it come with the normal warranty? I thought a read a recent TV post in another thread where some poster bought form Thainexusman, the item had problem within weeks, turned out the warranty coverage was like a no-go..   Doesn't he operate out of his condo?    Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

SooKee,

Thanks.  Did you buy from Thainexusman man and if so did you buy a Shield?  If so, did it come with the normal warranty? I thought a read a recent TV post in another thread where some poster bought form Thainexusman, the item had problem within weeks, turned out the warranty coverage was like a no-go..   Doesn't he operate out of his condo?    Thanks.

Yes I bought a 16GB from him.  I know several other folks who bought from him.  Never had a problem.  Same as with anything here though unless the company has a local presence it's a grey import.  So you'd have to sort problems yourself, likely with Nvidia in the event of a problem. IIRC there's 7 day return warranty if there's a problem.  The impression I got from them is that they'd tried to assist if your box developed an identifiable problem.  IIRC the problem in the post your'e referring to couldn't be replicated.  I may be wrong though, but can't be bothered to check. Lots of info on the 'Shield 2017' thread.

The alternative is to order direct from Amazon, but you'll still have the issue of returning it yourself if there's a problem.  Plus there's this uncertainty over the NBTC announcement and importing.  That said, numerous reviews on Lazada from folks ordering boxes that say 'Ships from overseas', and receiving them without problem.  It may well be that the NBTC ruling is not being enforced, if people even know (care) about it.  The question is will Amazon still ship here, it seems to change often.  Last I checked they would, for the 16GB version, not the Pro. Bizarre??  

Big thanks.   I have been thinking about getting a Shield for 6 months but really didn't want to order it from the U.S. figuring I'd surely get hit with some high customs charges and like you said would need to deal with Nividia in the U.S. regarding any warranty issue.

Right after I made my previous post to you I went to his website...saw it was the same website I had seen before where he operates out of his condo close close the river and I guess ships you your purchase or you can arrange a pickup/meeting at a close-by BTS station.   

I sent him an email a few minutes ago asking if I could just drive over and pay cash for one versus doing an online order, bank transfer payment, and come pick it up from him.   I could drive there in 30 minutes.  I see his website says a person can make an appointment for pickup at the BTS station real close to him....I drive by that BTS station once every week or two.   

Did you have yours shipped to you or did you make an appt to meet him at the BTS to pick it up?

Thanks again.

I picked it up. Met him at the BTS. Can't recall which one. If you do go ahead maybe you can do me a favour. Ask him if there's any ETA on the Pro version, unless he had them already.

When Amazon was shipping here, even with the customs deposit it was still cheaper. More so if you got it back. When I bought mine they weren't shipping though. The problem now is this NBTC thing. I'd be less inclined to take the risk of it being impounded with a box costing 8k plus than I would with something costing 2,500.

Sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

The alternative is to order direct from Amazon, but you'll still have the issue of returning it yourself if there's a problem.  Plus there's this uncertainty over the NBTC announcement and importing.  That said, numerous reviews on Lazada from folks ordering boxes that say 'Ships from overseas', and receiving them without problem.  It may well be that the NBTC ruling is not being enforced, if people even know (care) about it.  The question is will Amazon still ship here, it seems to change often.  Last I checked they would, for the 16GB version, not the Pro. Bizarre??  

If you order from Lazada you can select COD, if it doesn't arrive not your problem. The sellers that still deliver have their way of bringing the goods into Thailand without being inspected.

If you send by express courier expect to get burned, so I doubt Amazon will still ship to Thailand.

As a private person you are allowed to import up to 5 boxes, but you need a license for each box.

A license cost 10 Baht, and consists of 6 documents which have to be completed before the box get shipped. When the box is at customs no license can be issued any more.

On the documents have to be serial number and mac address, all details from seller and manufacturer, where you gonna use the box and much more silly details.

I had an educated Thai person read the documents and after a while she told me they are created to be impossible to complete.

Most Chinese sellers don't ship to Thailand any more, and DHL doesn't accept TV boxes any more.

In the past if you ordered from the large Chines companies selling tv boxes they would reduce the price on the invoice and give it a different description.

Now they refuse.

If you order from Lazada you can select COD, if it doesn't arrive not your problem. The sellers that still deliver have their way of bringing the goods into Thailand without being inspected.   If you send by express courier expect to get burned, so I doubt Amazon will still ship to Thailand.  

As a private person you are allowed to import up to 5 boxes, but you need a license for each box.

A license cost 10 Baht, and consists of 6 documents which have to be completed before the box get shipped. When the box is at customs no license can be issued any more.

On the documents have to be serial number and mac address, all details from seller and manufacturer, where you gonna use the box and much more silly details.

I had an educated Thai person read the documents and after a while she told me they are created to be impossible to complete.

Most Chinese sellers don't ship to Thailand any more, and DHL doesn't accept TV boxes any more.

In the past if you ordered from the large Chines companies selling tv boxes they would reduce the price on the invoice and give it a different description.

Now they refuse.

I wonder what the score is with the boxes coming from overseas on Lazada that folks are leaving reviews for, so they're presumably arriving OK? Slipping through the net, Customs can't be bothered or not aware of the regulations or some other reason?    

I'd only ever order COD from Lazada for sure, used them loads in the past with no problem. With this though, while you wouldn't lose out financially from not receiving the box, I'd be more concerned that if Customs did impound it, they might come knocking at your door as an attempted importer without a licence. One of the reasons I didn't order another Shield when Amazon would ship (I just checked again and the Shield is still available to ship here). Just makes me wonder why so many boxes are still available from Lazada from overseas and how they're being received without problem? Maybe they're only looking at big consignments or just can't be bothered? Hard to tell since there's nothing in the news about it at all in Thai or English.

Sent using Tapatalk

NBTC Licence (English)

OT I know but as the subject of these licences cropped up I managed to get this non-certified translation of the requirements. Interestingly there does seem to be provision to apply for a licence if a package gets held at Customs so I'm guessing it's not quite so grim. I guess of you don't get it you risk losing the item. Maybe not quite so worrying if that's all that can happen. Less of an issue with a 2k box than a 10k one though!

I was tempted to apply for one and see what happens. Part of me thinks better to not put yourself on their radar though. Can't check what they don't know about.

Sent using Tapatalk

Edit:  Hmmmm.  Sorry. For some reason, despite being a small pdf the file won't upload.  I'll have a mess around changing the title etc.  A small jpg screen shot of the relevant section won't upload either? From Tapatalk it says uploads disabled.  Not working on the laptop either?

11 hours ago, Pib said:

wouldnot a chromecast let you play the other apps?

since I have an older tv with only one hdmi port would an hdmi splitter be the solutuion to connect chromecast and playbox?

Just read up a little on chromecast but that would need my phone I understand

Better and easier to buy and androidbox so when I am not home family can still enjoy netflix etc

No idea od what I need, but would example this do the trick

Android Smart Box รุ่น TX2 R2 ระบบ Android 6.0 Octa CPU 4 Core Ram 2 Gb Rom 16 GB

If someone isn't a gamer and will only be using the box for IPTV, are there big advantages to using a Shield rather than a generic box?

Reading up on this issue on Thai social media hasn't revealed the true reasons for this change, there is a lot of confusion and conjecture. AIS employees who participate on forums haven't really been able to offer any reasoning so far.

Some think that the NBTC is "regulating" AIS to act more like a "broadcaster" and "control" what their customers are able to view. Others say AIS is tired of supporting calls for third-party apps installed on the Playbox.

I guess they plan to push a new firmware update which will restrict the addition of apps. They are also said to be working on their own native Playbox apps which will support things like Netflix.

Whether one can decline the firmware update - and still have the box function, or can root it without ramifications, remains to be understood.

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

OT I know but as the subject of these licences cropped up I managed to get this non-certified translation of the requirements. Interestingly there does seem to be provision to apply for a licence if a package gets held at Customs

As you say, non cerified translation.

There is no provision to apply for a license when the package is held at customs.

I have a shipment that is confiscated, and have talked personally with NBTC.

The answer was, once the items are in Thailand we can NOT issue a license.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

If someone isn't a gamer and will only be using the box for IPTV, are there big advantages to using a Shield rather than a generic box?

Probably not other than having a top end, really powerful machine that will surely receive continuing software/firmware support for years vs many cheapie machines that come with zero support/updates.

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

Just read up a little on chromecast but that would need my phone I understand

Better and easier to buy and androidbox so when I am not home family can still enjoy netflix etc

No idea od what I need, but would example this do the trick

Android Smart Box รุ่น TX2 R2 ระบบ Android 6.0 Octa CPU 4 Core Ram 2 Gb Rom 16 GB

Yea, a Chromecast is really nothing more than a device that interfaces your phone/tablet to your TV for use of some video streaming.    You would be much, much better off with an Android box hooked to each TV. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-google-chromecast,news-17637.html

Q.: How does Chromecast work?

A.: Chromecast acts as a transmitter between your TV and your streaming video provider, like a cable box or an antenna. Netflix (or YouTube, or Hulu, or Google Play) broadcasts content to your Chromecast, which then displays on your TV. To learn how to use it with a mobile device, consult the Tom's Guide how-to.

Q.: Why do I need Chromecast?

A.: Suppose you subscribe to video streaming services like Netflix or Hulu, but you can only access those services on your PC, tablet or smartphone, all of which have small screens. If you would rather curl up on your living room couch and watch content on a big screen, Chromecast may be the gadget for you.

Q.: Why don't I need Chromecast?

A.: If you prefer to watch TV the old-fashioned way (via network television, cable or DVR), Chromecast won't do you much good. Similarly, if you don't subscribe any streaming video services, Chromecast may be of limited utility. If you own a smart TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Roku, PS4 or Xbox One, your device already gives you access to most of the same content you'd get via Chromecast.

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, a Chromecast is really nothing more than a device that interfaces your phone/tablet to your TV for use of some video streaming.    You would be much, much better off with an Android box hooked to each TV. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-google-chromecast,news-17637.html

Thanks, dont own a smart tv but i thought the android box would connect to internet???

Now I use the playbox from AIS but it they drop 3rd party apps I would want to have an alternative

I've probably used my Chromecast more than just about any other device for streaming media to my TV, and for $35 USD, by far the best money I've ever spent.

That said if it doesn't support the services/applications/APKs you use then obviously it may not be the optimal solution?

For AIS Play (not Playbox) users it is perhaps the easiest, simplest, most cost-effective solution for watching content on your big-screen TV?

Now I use the playbox from AIS but it they drop 3rd party apps I would want to have an alternative

Depends on the apps, but I think you'd need another Android TV box. 

Probably all tied into the NBTC's new push to regulate, tax, collect fees for "Over the Top" content...that is, free or for charge movie/video content that can bypass the traditional distribution method like where you have a subscription with Thai TV service company such as TrueVisions, AIS, etc. 

And since Android type boxes are a prime piece of hardware to obtain and feed such TV services into your TV via apps such as Kodi or standalone apps, NBTC wants to control Android/streaming video boxes.   And I expect AIS Fibre may be in a situation where their Playbox (fancy name for their Android box) allows such apps to be loaded versus being a plain jane IPTV box that only provides TV/movies channels provided & controlled directly from the Thai company providing the TV service such as TrueVisions, AIS, just any Thai internet service provider also providing IPTV services.   

Additionally, OTT content has surely cut into the ability of local TV channel companies to make money/profit, grow their subscription base since more and more people are getting their TV/movie streaming services via OTT content.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30326503

Economy September 12, 2017 17:53

By JIRAPAN BOONNOON 
THE NATION 

THE National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) is on track to complete the regulatory framework for so-called over the top delivery of content by the end of this year.

The agency also will follow the guidelines of the Asean Telecommuni-cation Regulators’ Council (ATRC) on how the provision of such services is managed in the country.

Air Chief Marshal Thares Punsri, chairman of the NBTC, said the commission would study the corresponding regulatory frameworks applied overseas, in jurisdictions such as the European Union within the Asean bloc before developing the set of regulations for Thailand.

OTT refers to the delivery of content, such as films and TV programmes over the Internet, either free or for a charge, bypassing traditional distribution.

12 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Thanks, dont own a smart tv but i thought the android box would connect to internet???

The Playbox is nothing more than for AIS Fibre's name for it's "Android box" which also has a AIS launcher app installed,  which allows you to easily select TV channels to watch, watch their HBO GO services, watch other AIS streamed video services, etc.  

And a smart TV is really only a TV with a mini Android box type function built-in....pretty much a waste since built-in SmartTV functions pale against the capabilities/additional horsepower of an external Android box.

Summary:  Playbox is just AIS's name for the Android box they provide.   Yes, a Android box needs internet access just like your Android or Apple phone/tablet.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

There is no provision to apply for a license when the package is held at customs.

Oh jeez, that sucks!!!  Odd, because reading from the form, even in Thai, it gives several options to describe the status of your box.  The first being (roughly) 'Not yet imported' the second being:

นําเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักรแล้ ถูกกักไ ้ที่ด่าน ุลกากร มูลค่า ินค้าประมาณ ........................ บาท

Roughly, "Arrived in Thailand already but detained at Customs with a value of approximately....baht"

Definitely a gamble then and an even bigger one if that clause no longer applies.  Makes you wonder whether the chances of it getting through is down to luck, the numbers of units or, there's zero chance now and it WILL be picked up.

The form is not TOO bad until you get to the section where you have to supply the specs etc.  Not entirely clear whether you have to supply the lot or not, given it's a tick box option seems not.  be interesting to see just how much they need or will accept.

10 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Oh jeez, that sucks!!!  Odd, because reading from the form, even in Thai, it gives several options to describe the status of your box.  The first being (roughly) 'Not yet imported' the second being:

นําเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักรแล้ ถูกกักไ ้ที่ด่าน ุลกากร มูลค่า ินค้าประมาณ ........................ บาท

Roughly, "Arrived in Thailand already but detained at Customs with a value of approximately....baht"

Definitely a gamble then and an even bigger one if that clause no longer applies.

Yes that clause is included in one of the forms, but it doesn't mean that you're able to receive a license if that is the status.

I assume the status is there for the purpose that this will automatically disqualify for a license.

The person responsible for the license at NBTC spoke fairly well English, and said if the box is in Thailand already it's not possible to receive a license, and customs will destroy the box.

On 10/22/2017 at 8:53 AM, janclaes47 said:

Are you saying Customs impounded a streaming box for lack of a license??? 

If so, that's the first report I've heard of such a thing since the supposed regulation was announced.

Archived