NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

Received this SMS from AIS this morning:

"To enhance the quality of Internet TV, 'AIS PLAYBOX' will be updated to a new version, which would not support 3rd party app installation, starting 2 March 2018".

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2017 at 10:19 AM, mtls2005 said:

I've probably used my Chromecast more than just about any other device for streaming media to my TV, and for $35 USD, by far the best money I've ever spent.

That said if it doesn't support the services/applications/APKs you use then obviously it may not be the optimal solution?

For AIS Play (not Playbox) users it is perhaps the easiest, simplest, most cost-effective solution for watching content on your big-screen TV?

Now I use the playbox from AIS but it they drop 3rd party apps I would want to have an alternative

Depends on the apps, but I think you'd need another Android TV box. 

And I would have to buy a hdmi splitter as I only have one female in the TV

Y HDMI splitter cable 1ออก2จอ FULL HD 1080p  

Would this one work from Lazada? Cable is 80 thb or so, but would it support Ultra HD TV

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

If you want to use more than one A/V device on a single TV HDMI input, you need a switch, NOT a splitter.

Would be able to get one for 200/300 baht.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I suddenly remember you probably have given me that advise before....switch not splitter.

But why as the splitter has 1 male and 2 females, male goes in TV, and AIS and other android box go into the females?
They never run at the same time of course...

Just for my understanding please try to explain

Never run at the same time meaning that the one not in use is switched off or in standby - will probably be fine. A switch just makes sure the two inputs are completely isolated from each other and stops them conflicting if both are switched on.

Shame they're doing this really.  For me no big deal as I already have other boxes in addition to the PB as I want Netflix etc in HD, folks wanting other Android services will have to now buy another box too, more expense, more junk under / behind the TV.  Pity to turn a reasonably well specced box like the v2 PB into a one-trick pony.

That said I use it very little these days, mostly as 'background' to when I'm doing something else with a news channel running.  Same problem as True with movies, often very old and countless repeats.  Some of the series MIGHT be interesting to watch except finding out when they're on is a such PITA with the god-awful programme guide (even the web version has been down for ages and that was a bit more user friendly).  Other than that it's HBO Go and I've mostly binge watched everything from that.  Might be time to chop it once the 12 months is up.  Even before if I get time to look and work out if there's any penalty.

Current software is 6.3.2.8, will check tomorrow to see if they've actually done anything this time given it was first announced some 3 months ago.  It'll also be interesting to see if it wipes apps already installed.  There'll be no need for it to have the Play Store so that will stop any accidental HooQ updates from knackering the AIS install.

4 hours ago, SooKee said:

"To enhance the quality of Internet TV, 'AIS PLAYBOX' will be updated to a new version, which would not support 3rd party app installation, starting 2 March 2018".

When AIS neuters the Playbox by not supporting 3d party apps, it will just be like a cable TV box....nothing playful about it anymore.

To date, I've "never" got a SMS from AIS Fibre about neutering the Playbox but I get plenty of other SMSs from AIS Fibre.  Where others got them in the past and like the one your got this morning, I've still never got one.

I was hoping when AIS Fibre first announced they were going to do this and do it by around the end of Oct "17" I think it was that since they had not done it by now that they got so much negative feedback they scraped the idea....but I guess not.   Will see what happens tomorrow/2 March.

I can't be bothered digging my old model playbox out of its box at the back of the cupboard, but for those that have a custom setup on their boxes it mighr be worthwhile checking to see if you can disable automatic OTA updates until the picture becomes clearer.

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

2 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I can't be bothered digging my old model playbox out of its box at the back of the cupboard, but for those that have a custom setup on their boxes it mighr be worthwhile checking to see if you can disable automatic OTA updates until the picture becomes clearer.

There isn't a setting to disable firmware updates, at least none that I can see.  There is the option to check for and install updates by USB and via the network but I've never had to do this, every update has been pushed.  Nothing as of 9:00am.  Rather than posting with numerous 'no change yet' posts, I'll update here if / when any update happens.

17 hours ago, jumbo said:

Thanks, I suddenly remember you probably have given me that advise before....switch not splitter.

But why as the splitter has 1 male and 2 females, male goes in TV, and AIS and other android box go into the females?
They never run at the same time of course...

Just for my understanding please try to explain

Might be better to start a different topic given that this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Neither of my Playboxes have updated yet (i.e., been neutered) as of 9:30am this morning.  And I have run the Software Updates on both multiple times this morning...each time it says I'm running the latest version which is 6.3.2.8.

I then used Google Update to update the various 3d party apps I have installed.   

And of course I did "not" update HooQ as Google Play offerred because if you do then HooQ will not work anymore (you can't logon with AIS credentials) since AIS Fibre runs a special version that Google Play misidentifies.   This is why I do not have Google Play set to Auto Update my apps.

But the neutering if it occurs will probably be staggered for the many, many Playboxes out there.  Time will tell...it's still early in the day on 2 March....AIS has only been talking this for around 6 months now.

Anyone else get a very recent SMS like SooKee got on 1 Mar 18 saying their Playbox was going to be neutered on 2 Mar 18.   I know some folks got SMS months ago when AIS started talking neutering which apparently they at least put on hold.  

Neither of my Playboxes have updated yet (i.e., been neutered) as of 9:30am this morning.  And I have run the Software Updates on both multiple times this morning...each time it says I'm running the latest version which is 6.3.2.8.

I then used Google Update to update the various 3d party apps I have installed.   

And of course I did "not" update HooQ as Google Play offerred because if you do then HooQ will not work anymore (you can't logon with AIS credentials) since AIS Fibre runs a special version that Google Play misidentifies.   This is why I do not have Google Play set to Auto Update my apps.

But the neutering if it occurs will probably be staggered for the many, many Playboxes out there.  Time will tell...it's still early in the day on 2 March....AIS has only been talking this for around 6 months now.

Anyone else get a very recent SMS like SooKee got on 1 Mar 18 saying their Playbox was going to be neutered on 2 Mar 18.   I know some folks got SMS months ago when AIS started talking neutering which apparently they at least put on hold.  

I have the Playbox TV that AIS gave me connected to a TV that I seldom use. I checked it today after not using it for probably a couple months. When it powered on all the apps that I had sideloaded were gone.

Well, well, they are neutering the boxes based on above.   Will probably get around to me eventually.   However, I just checked my boxes about one hour after suzannegoh's post....all Google Play and sideloaded apps still there. 

I even did a Playbox Check Software and it came back saying I have the most current version of 6.3.28 which is the version it been on since I got the boxes many moons ago. 

Now one box  did do one upgrade many moons ago (close to a year ago maybe) when I did a Software Check and it definitely noticeable as the upgrade occurs.   

While writing this post I went back to recheck the version number of 6.3.28 and decided for some reason to ensure Mobdro was still there and upon opening it said it has an update....so I update Mobdro which went find...pulled up a I Love Lucy episode to confirm.  I then did another box Software Check and it came back saying 6.3.28 is still the latest version.

You said your sideloaded apps were just gone with you turned on the box.   Did you see the box do a software upgrade?  What version are you now running?  

And I wonder when the neutering occurs if it's a box software upgrade or they just scan the boxes for non-AIS installed apps, uninstall any such apps, and then make some sneaky update/change at the OS level to lock-out any non-AIS installs?

Well, well, they are neutering the boxes based on above.   Will probably get around to me eventually.   However, I just checked my boxes about one hour after suzannegoh's post....all Google Play and sideloaded apps still there. 

I even did a Playbox Check Software and it came back saying I have the most current version of 6.3.28 which is the version it been on since I got the boxes many moons ago. 

Now one box  did do one upgrade many moons ago (close to a year ago maybe) when I did a Software Check and it definitely noticeable as the upgrade occurs.   

While writing this post I went back to recheck the version number of 6.3.28 and decided for some reason to ensure Mobdro was still there and upon opening it said it has an update....so I update Mobdro which went find...pulled up a I Love Lucy episode to confirm.  I then did another box Software Check and it came back saying 6.3.28 is still the latest version.

You said your sideloaded apps were just gone with you turned on the box.   Did you see the box do a software upgrade?  What version are you now running?  

And I wonder when the neutering occurs if it's a box software upgrade or they just scan the boxes for non-AIS installed apps, uninstall any such apps, and then make some sneaky update/change at the OS level to lock-out any non-AIS installs?

I'll check what version of the software on on there when it I get home tonight. When I started the box today I didn't see it do a software upgrade but a prompt came up when starting the box asking me to pick whether I wanted to use Thai or English language menus, as if the box had never been run before. My box is one of the older AIS Playboxes, I think that it was running Android 4.4.2 before.

14 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

I'll check what version of the software on on there when it I get home tonight. When I started the box today I didn't see it do a software upgrade but a prompt came up when starting the box asking me to pick whether I wanted to use Thai or English language menus, as if the box had never been run before. My box is one of the older AIS Playboxes, I think that it was running Android 4.4.2 before.

Thanks.  And when I say what version I'm not talking what Android version the box is running like Android 4.4.2,  although that will be good to know also.   Just want to make sure we are talking the same thing.

I'm really talking what AIS Loader/Menus/Interface version the  box is running which is checked by clicking the big icon in the Loader/Menus/Interface named "Software Update."   

I just did another Software Update check at 6:25pm, said I running the latest which is what it been for many moons of ver 6.3.28.

I then when into the Android OS menu to check what Android version I'm running which is 6.0.1 Marshmellow.   And I also did a "System Update" check which said I'm current.   This is the area if there was an OS update it would do an Android update like what happens on a Android phone. 

Both of my boxes are the newer boxes as I upgraded from the original box last year.

Thanks.  And when I say what version I'm not talking what Android version the box is running like Android 4.4.2,  although that will be good to know also.   Just want to make sure we are talking the same thing.  

I'm really talking what AIS Loader/Menus/Interface version the  box is running which is checked by clicking the big icon in the Loader/Menus/Interface named "Software Update."   

I just did another Software Update check at 6:25pm, said I running the latest which is what it been for many moons of ver 6.3.28.

I then when into the Android OS menu to check what Android version I'm running which is 6.0.1 Marshmellow.   And I also did a "System Update" check which said I'm current.   This is the area if there was an OS update it would do an Android update like what happens on a Android phone. 

Both of my boxes are the newer boxes as I upgraded from the original box last year.

It now says:

Current System Version: V4.10.3.17

Hardware Version: 1.0

Model Number: n100

Android Version: 4.4.2

Kernel Version: 3.10.33

It's not a really big deal to me that this box got wiped out but I might buy a replacement for it at some point.

Once you get the time maybe try re-adding a 3d party app  via Google Play or sideload  to see if it still works or not?   

Also with V4.10.3.17 does it include Google Play and maybe some other apps?  As in apps AIS preloads like how Google Play came pre-loaded along with some other apps.   If Google Play is still loaded you just may be able to still load apps.

Once you get the time maybe try re-adding a 3d party app  via Google Play or sideload  to see if it still works or not?   

Also with V4.10.3.17 does it include Google Play and maybe some other apps?  As in apps AIS preloads like how Google Play came pre-loaded along with some other apps.   If Google Play is still loaded you just may be able to still load apps.

Google Play Store is hidden but available to be added to the "Media Menu". However when I try to run it I get nothing, just a white screen. I'll try loading kodi from a SDcard to see if that works but I'm not hopeful.

It is actually possible to get the original HOOQ app back without a factory reset. I've just done it after Google Play had "helpfully" updated it.

On the old box at least, download a root explorer app and navigate to /system/preinstall/and the hooq app apk should be there. Click on it and install.

8 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

It is actually possible to get the original HOOQ app back without a factory reset. I've just done it after Google Play had "helpfully" updated it.

On the old box at least, download a root explorer app and navigate to /system/preinstall/and the hooq app apk should be there. Click on it and install.

This means you must "root" the Playbox before a root explorer will work, right?     If so, how did you root the Playbox?

3 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

It wasn't necessary to root, only to find an app that would read the file.

It's even visible using ES Explorer (an app I don't much care for) even without the 'Root Explorer' active (which can't actually be switched on).

Using ES the file is under: Device / System / Preinstall

3 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

It wasn't necessary to root, only to find an app that would read the file.

Every file explorer that has a " show hidden or system files" option will be able to read the file.

Only on a rooted system you can modify the file.

A couple of you said you got SMSs saying on 2 March your Playbox would be neutered.  I'm assuming that didn't happen?   

As of 4 Mar, 1:50pm my boxes are still not neutered....and I've run the Software Update and Android System Update checks numerous times to include at 1:50pm today....they still say I running the latest/no updates.

And I found that hidden preinstall folder the AIS HooQ app is in.  Definitely good to know if I ever install the Google Play version of HooQ by mistake.  I don't do Auto Update just for that reason....avoid over-writting the AIS specific HooQ app.

Let's speculate on a few possibilities......

I'm using the version 2 box as posted above.

I'm also running with Google Now launcher. Is it possible that it will only update through some kind of handshake with the AIS launcher. Probably unlikely but.........?

On 3/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, SooKee said:

UPDATE

I was the one who started this thread last year.  The wording of SooKee's SMS was the same then except that the implementation date was Nov 2017.  I made phone calls to AIS at the time, as did some others here. None of us could any information, AIS wasn't even willing/able to confirm or deny, never mind explain the SMS. As it happened, installing 3rd party apps was not discontinued, at least not for me.  But I have not installed anything recently.

As it happens, it has become pretty much a moot issue for me. Although the Playbox offers up a generous selection of channels, I almost never find anything I care to watch except Fox Nooze and now, newly added, CNN, sometimes Sky News. OP might find more of interest in the offerings than I do.  Think I will dop it at the end of my contract.  There are better options.  More important, Most of what I watch are movies and teevee I have downloaded, Youtube, TED talks, Udemy classes. Without the ability to do that, the box is just an expensive paper weight for me.

Archived