NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My playbok got updated yesterday or the day before.

I still have KODI, Deezer, etc. installed - they did not get removed, but the new UI won't let you add 3rd party apps to the menu. Only HOOQ and some Karaoke app added by default.

When I press the media button on my wireless logitech keyboard, it loads up Deezer, but I'd need Kodi instead.

Tried to hook up via USB to my laptop and sideload/run via adb.exe but won't see the device (developer options and USB debugging were switched on)

Anyone any idea? Will look into it tomorrow when I have more free time...

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Poppadom said:

My playbok got updated yesterday or the day before.

You got the old Playbox or new Playbox? 

You are only the second person I've heard of getting the update and the other person had an old box.   By old box I mean the first box AIS provided, but later started issuing new/more powerful boxes.   The old box is pretty much square in shape where the new box is rectangular....see image below.

image.png.c285a5d948d82d849c4d6fb1c3737595.png

16 minutes ago, Poppadom said:

old box... only 768 megs of ram and 4.4 android. What are the specs of the new box? May ask AIS for an upgrade

The new box is like a new 8 cyl car engine compared to an old 4 cyl engine.   Much, much better performance.

After reading your post this morning I forced another software update check...both for the Android system and AIS launcher/interface...both came back saying I had the latest versions.  I have AIS  launcher version is 6.3.28....been that version for a long time....possibly from point I got the boxes...although I "may" have got one update shortly after getting the boxes mid last year. 

Ok, hooked up old box to my older laptop which has USB2 port and managed to start KODI using adb:

adb shell am start -n org.xbmc.kodi/.Splash

And in the meantime, I downloaded, installed (via adb install packagename.apk) and made Nova launcher the default home launcher

Problem sorted. Will disable AIS remote access later this week and it seems they disabled google play store too. Will need to re-enable that somehow. They also disabled the add account option in android settings...

Anyone out there with the "new" Playbox (i.e, the rectangular shaped one; not the old box that is square) received this update yet which neuters your Playbox?  

AND has anyone signed up with AIS Fibre over the last few months (say since Jan 18) received a new Playbox which was neutered when you got it?  That is, it came already updated/configured where you could not add 3d party apps.

Trying to figure out if AIS's notice from last year/Oct 17 that they will be not supporting 3d party apps on Playboxes applies to "all" their Playboxes, "new and old".....or maybe just their old boxes?   Or maybe......?????? 

image.png.eef00384964fe6c4a7d1bbba2d2d4810.png

23 minutes ago, Pib said:

AND has anyone signed up with AIS Fibre over the last few months (say since Jan 18) received a new Playbox which was neutered when you got it?  That is, it came already updated/configured where you could not add 3d party apps.

You can still add 3rd party apps, just need to activate developer options and enable USB debugging. Then you can install by hooking up the box to a PC and load the apk via adb.

Will try to figure out how to add the google account again and the use the play store.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thought you said a few posts earlier you had an old box; not a new box.

Old box with the update that tries to limit you to use the pre-installed apps and menu only.

Same recipe for the new one that would come shipped that way, absolutely no difference.

7 minutes ago, Poppadom said:

Old box with the update that tries to limit you to use the pre-installed apps and menu only.

Same recipe for the new one that would come shipped that way, absolutely no difference.

But we don't know "new" ones ship that way for sure unless someone who has just got a new box, like just got AIS Fibre, can confirm. 

Part of the reason I would like to know if new boxes come neutered is try to narrow down if AIS is just neutering the old boxes right now....just haven't got around to the new boxes yet. 

Or a person could dream (hope) they may not neuter the new boxes...for some reason they are only neutering the old boxes even though their announcement just said Playboxes which definitely implies all boxes, old or new.

Here are a couple of snapshot of Q&A from the AIS Fibre Playbox Help and Support webpage that seem to indicate a person might be able to side-load an app, but can not install from Google Play.   Kinda conflicting statements.   

It's also obvious that since AIS Fibre made the announcement about the planned neutering that hyping AIS Fibre because it came with a Android box they named Playbox where you can watch AIS TV "and also load all kinds of apps" has pretty much thrown to the wayside.

http://www.ais.co.th/playbox/en/support_tech.html

image.png.19bfde0bc4a52ff21c507683119706fa.png

image.png.abdf4d74464604944c60843e8961de7f.png

52 minutes ago, Poppadom said:

Poppadom,

By chance had your AIS Fibre contract period very recently expired and you rolled over to a new contract period....then once entry into that new contract period AIS pushed the update to you?    Or maybe the update arrived just "before" you current contract period expires?   

Reason I'm asking I wonder if the forced update/neutering is occurring around the period a person's contract expires/renews?   Thanks.

I had a problem with Hooq a couple of days ago and AIS did a remote reset and upgrade of the box (New model).

I asked the CSR about 3rd party apps and she said it isn't possible to use them anymore since they caused to much problem supporting the box.

Anyway, tried downloading and side loading VLC , MX player as well as Kodi.

No problem at all

I didn't try to download from the Play Store, but the store is still there

YMMV

10 hours ago, Pib said:

Poppadom,

By chance had your AIS Fibre contract period very recently expired and you rolled over to a new contract period....then once entry into that new contract period AIS pushed the update to you?    Or maybe the update arrived just "before" you current contract period expires?   

Reason I'm asking I wonder if the forced update/neutering is occurring around the period a person's contract expires/renews?   Thanks.

Nothing like that. Contract since Dec 2015 and didn't touch since then. They doubled the speed along the way though...

FWIW, if the reason for sticking with AIS’s box instead of using a 3rd party box is to get Thai television, there’s an app called “AIS Play” that appears to replicate the proprietary IPTV functionality in the Playbox on any Android device that is connected to the internet via AIS.   You can get it from the Google Play store if your Google account is registered in Thailand or you can download an APK of it from here: https://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.ais.mimo.AISPlay .   It will ask you for an AIS phone number the first time that you start it up, and if it accepts that you should be able to watch the same things that you presently can watch on a Playbox.

34 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

FWIW, if the reason for sticking with AIS’s box instead of using a 3rd party box is to get Thai television, there’s an app called “AIS Play” that appears to replicate the proprietary IPTV functionality in the Playbox on any Android device that is connected to the internet via AIS.   You can get it from the Google Play store if your Google account is registered in Thailand or you can download an APK of it from here: https://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.ais.mimo.AISPlay .   It will ask you for an AIS phone number the first time that you start it up, and if it accepts that you should be able to watch the same things that you presently can watch on a Playbox.

You know I wondered why Google Play always showed the AIS Play app was incompatible with all my Android devices (half dozen of so) which are mostly Samsung phones/tablets even with the Samsung Note 10.1 tablet also having an AIS SIM in it. 

It probably because my 4 different google accounts where all setup in the U.S. over a decade ago/before I moved to Thailand....not Thailand registered google accounts but U.S. registered google accounts.   I give a sideload a try in the near future....thanks.

12 hours ago, Poppadom said:

Nothing like that. Contract since Dec 2015 and didn't touch since then. They doubled the speed along the way though...

Thanks.  As mentioned earlier just trying to figure out what method AIS Fibre is using to determine when a box is neutered since they have been talking this since Oct 17 and basically implied it was all going to happen shorting after that Oct time frame.  People getting SMSs that they are going to get an update very soon, but the update does not occur.   So far on ThaiVisa I've only seen you and susannegoh get the forced update.  Of course since I've said that I probably get the update on both my Playboxes tonight.

Heck, when I was still on TrueVisions Cable they would do update approx twice a year....say exactly when it was going to OK for "everyone"....usually the wee hours of the night when people are asleep....you wake up the next morning....turn your settop box on....the update has occurred for everyone.  Seems AIS Fibre could do the same thing but obviously they are not for some reason.

But I fully expect the old and new boxes will be neutered in good time....eventually.....on Thai time.

As I said I got my box updated and reset a couple of days ago. The CSR said that it wouldn't be possible to side-load apps any longer.

I tried downloading and installing apps from the web and that wasn't any problem. Working just fine.

As the Playstore is still accessible from the menu I tried to install Kodi today. Downloading and installing and subsequently using is all working.

Software version on my Play Box is 6.3.28

I still cant access google play store. When I click on the icon, a white screen splashes and then back to launcher menu. Similarly, if I want to add an account under the stock android menu, absolutely nothing happens when I click the "add new account" menu item...

4 hours ago, touch said:

As I said I got my box updated and reset a couple of days ago. The CSR said that it wouldn't be possible to side-load apps any longer.

I tried downloading and installing apps from the web and that wasn't any problem. Working just fine.

As the Playstore is still accessible from the menu I tried to install Kodi today. Downloading and installing and subsequently using is all working.

Software version on my Play Box is 6.3.28

Ver 6.3.28 is the version I have....probably been that version for at least a year now.  With that version there is no neutering of your Playbox.   This is the current version number for the "new" boxes.  

Now suszannegoh in post #79 who has an "old" box and got the update/got neutered she said the version showing for her is as below....note it's ver 4.10.3.17.  

Summary: the latest and greatest version is different between the old and new boxes.  And so far both folks in this thread who got neutered have the old box.

It now says:

Current System Version: V4.10.3.17

Hardware Version: 1.0

Model Number: n100

Android Version: 4.4.2

Kernel Version: 3.10.33

Just got forcibly neutered here too (old box). Had no notification of this last year, just this message from AISPLAYBOX on 27th March - the automatic update went through just now (11th April):

Get ready for the new appearance of "AIS PLAYBOX" platform, allowing you to enjoy your programs easier. The update will be conducted from 28 Mar onward. For usage guideline, visit http://m.ais.co.th/STBtutorial

You can see the message makes no mention of anything regarding third party apps, but although Kodi is still loaded and shows under Settings - Apps, there seems to be no way I can access it and use it. The home menu is showing only AIS content now, either the free stuff or the upgrade package options, plus HOOQ, karaoke etc.

Any ideas what to do to use Kodi now, anything in the settings that needs to be tweaked, enabled etc? It's very annoying, this was the main thing I was using the playbox for the past 18 months.

Do you have the old or new box?

And regardless of whether its the old or new box are their any preloaded apps under the Media selection where you could select or deselection loaded apps that appeared on the menus/interface?  If some apps are still in that area, do they work and what are a few of them?  Maybe Youtube is still preloaded/works?

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Do you have the old or new box?

And regardless of whether its the old or new box are their any preloaded apps under the Media selection where you could select or deselection loaded apps that appeared on the menus/interface?  If some apps are still in that area, do they work and what are a few of them?  Maybe Youtube is still preloaded/works?

Old box. Problem is the update has imposed a complete redesign, the menu is now on the left hand side of the screen and provides no Media option at all. Only way to know I even have Kodi still on there is to go into settings - apps (or also permissions) - I'm there presented with an Android phone type interface. Pretty much all on/off switches there are enabled in the on position, but the only options I'm given are Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force Stop or Uninstall. No option anywhere to open the app, which is still sitting there at exactly the same same file size as before. Youtube is gone, only other apps left on there are Google, Google Play, Google Play Services, none of which can be opened (though they are shown as actively running) and again the only options given on these are those listed above - force stop, clear data etc.

It seems, as mentioned earlier in the thread that they've completely removed the Play from the Playbox - nothing accessible on there now other than AIS own content. 

Thanks.  Sounds like they basically turned it into a cable TV box where you can only get the AIS IPTV service/add-on packages.

So now the three people in this thread who have had their Playboxes neutered are those which still had the old boxes.  Haven't seen a post from anyone so having the new boxes saying their boxes got neutered, but I expect it's just a matter of time before that occurs based on what forced update schedule/plan AIS Fibre is using.  I'm still good to go with my two new Playboxes....the Play portion of the name still applies.

Note about side loads on the new Playbox.  I had Mobdro running and "updating" in the new boxes for a while.  Last night when opening Mobdro it notified me of a new version available for install...specifically version 2.1.1.  Like I always do I said, Sure, go ahead and update.  The install took about 10 seconds, but after installing Mobdro would no longer open...or should I say fully open.  It would only open to a solid gray screen with a Search and Like icon in the upper left hand corner....nothing else...basically just a solid gray screen.   

Rebooting the box....hard or soft reboot did not help...nor did clearing cache/data specifically on the Mobdro app or all box cache.  And my Playbox now seemed to be acting up....Youtube ATV and AIS IPTV was unstable, etc.  So I uninstalled Mobdro.  The Playbox IPTV, Youtube ATV, etc., now seemed to be happy/stable again. 

Apparently Mobdro version 2.1.1. simply did not agree with the Playbox.    And I expect this is a good example of why AIS wants to neuter Playboxes to not allow 3d party app installs so their Tech Support don't get calls saying the Playbox don't work, but the reason it don't work is due to a buggy 3d party app...especially any app dealing with video streaming.

About 30 minute ago I checked apkmirror.com to check the latest version of Mabdro...try reinstalling Mobdro on the Playbox.  Well, the website shows Mobdro released an updated version on 10 Apr (ver 2.1.0)...their first update "since 28 Mar" and a day later Ver 2.1.1...then a day later Ver 2.1.2.   I also looked at the Mobdro website regarding the version change release log.  See snapshot at bottom.

Now, I'm not absolutely sure what version I was running before I allowed the update last night but I was either running the Ver 2.0.66 from 28 Mar or maybe Ver 2.1.0 from 10 Apr.   I'm pretty close to being 100% sure it was Ver 2.0.66 from 28 Mar since I always update when getting such an update availability notice when starting Mobdro and since to the best of my memory I hadn't used Mobdro for around 5 days which is before Ver 2.1.0 came out on 10 Apr.   But regardless the Playbox hated Ver 2.1.1...basically got a gray screen of death staring Mobdro.

Anyway, back to the apkmirror.com and mobdro.com website shows Ver 2.1.2 was release today/12 Apr....just one day after Ver 2.1.1 on 11 Apr which was one day after Ver 2.1.0 on 10 Apr.  Before that you have to go back to 28 Mar for ver 2.0.66.  And the Mobdro website doesn't even reference Ver 2.1.0.   

I'm thinking since such a rapid update release of the universal version occurred over a 48 hour period that both versions 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 had some major issues on at least some boxes.   See snapshots below of releases/changelog 

Anyway, Ver 2.1.2 side loaded fine and works fine on the new Playbox (but absolutely hated ver 2.1.1)

Snapshot from APKMirrow website

image.png.42bc190758840bd5c5b95638b2f421e0.png

Snapshot from Mobdro website (no mention of ver 2.1.0 as in above APKMirror website.

image.png.c2d705e8b099fffe4a93284b8c552347.png

7 hours ago, Pib said:

Thanks.  Sounds like they basically turned it into a cable TV box where you can only get the AIS IPTV service/add-on packages.

So now the three people in this thread who have had their Playboxes neutered are those which still had the old boxes.  Haven't seen a post from anyone so having the new boxes saying their boxes got neutered, but I expect it's just a matter of time before that occurs based on what forced update schedule/plan AIS Fibre is using.  I'm still good to go with my two new Playboxes....the Play portion of the name still applies.

Given that there seems to be earlier reports of people getting playbox v2 updated and still having access to the playstore, I wonder if this is just a version 1 thing, and it's the old box that's becoming defunct? I'm tempted by the upgrade to the version 2 box (was it a one off payment of 650 baht?) but obviously don't want to if this is also definitely in line to be neutered as well. The post by Touch (#109) implies that the system update has gone through, but has still allowed media access. 

I might try talking to AIS fibre, or doing a factory reset. I don't think I'm likely to change my broadband plan as the price and speed are ok, so if it doesn't work I guess I'll need a new set top box. 

Given that there seems to be earlier reports of people getting playbox v2 updated and still having access to the playstore, I wonder if this is just a version 1 thing, and it's the old box that's becoming defunct? I'm tempted by the upgrade to the version 2 box (was it a one off payment of 650 baht?) but obviously don't want to if this is also definitely in line to be neutered as well. The post by Touch (#109) implies that the system update has gone through, but has still allowed media access. 

I might try talking to AIS fibre, or doing a factory reset. I don't think I'm likely to change my broadband plan as the price and speed are ok, so if it doesn't work I guess I'll need a new set top box. 
One could ask AIS for a 2nd generation box and hope that they don't lock it down completely, but I think that I'd rather buy a generic sub-2000 baht Android box from Lazada and install the AIS Play app on it. That's assuming that the appeal of the AIS Playbox is that it gives you access to AIS's proprietary IPTV streaming - you can get that from the app and if you don't care about AIS's IPTV then there's no clear advantage of the AIS Playbox over a cheap Android box.

28 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:
58 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

One could ask AIS for a 2nd generation box and hope that they don't lock it down completely, but I think that I'd rather buy a generic sub-2000 baht Android box from Lazada and install the AIS Play app on it. That's assuming that the appeal of the AIS Playbox is that it gives you access to AIS's proprietary IPTV streaming - you can get that from the app and if you don't care about AIS's IPTV then there's no clear advantage of the AIS Playbox over a cheap Android box.

Depends on what channels you want, the AIS Play app line-up is not the same as Playbox.  No Fox Thai, FX, Fox Action Movies, Fox Movies, Sky News, or National Geo etc.  Last time I looked the number of missing channels was significant. 

I tried installing the AIS Playbox on generic boxes ages back.  Wouldn't work at all then.  Just tried the side-loaded version on my Shield.  Installs OK, allows you to get the OTP by entering your mobile number but then just get a message saying 'AIS Play keeps stopping'. For some reason, it then bounces me back to a Netflix log in screen.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was some crappy coding in the Play app somewhere.  It might work on the Mi Box I have but, seeing as I don't think I've ever watched AIS Play since I've had it, I won't bother.  Deleted the app.

Depends on what channels you want, the AIS Play app line-up is not the same as Playbox.  No Fox Thai, FX, Fox Action Movies, Fox Movies, Sky News, or National Geo etc.  Last time I looked the number of missing channels was significant. 
I've been relying upon Kodi and the pirates for the farang channels, with satisfactory results.

Archived