Thailand enters 'War on Sugar' with tax on sweetened beverages

rooster59

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Even on this topic Westerners cannot look at themselves in the mirror! WOW!

2fb04-americas-obesity-epidemic.jpg?w=84

Yep and Americans are the first to call it a disease and somehow that is supposed to guilt us. I’m American and the last time I was in the US I was disgusted.

Just got back from taking the kids for a long bike ride - not many Thais and not many fatties out there, sad.

The problem here is high fructose corn syrup- it is metabolised differently than sucrose- it is a poison.

I am not sure that Thailand produces this? 

Production of It is certainly a vast industry in America - so consuming less Coke etc sweetened with corn syrup is a good thing.  A ‘sugar ‘ tax has worked in some countries. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

WATER! :post-4641-1156694572:

INDEED..... And if you prefer - FRESH squeezed lime or lemon juice, or any other fruit you like.

Yes I realise there is Fructose in that but surely better than that refined muck that goes into  popular soft drinks?

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sugar tax not high enough.

While they're at it, time to lower the tax on the wonderful HEALTH promoting drink -- WINE. You know, the real stuff, not the faux crap being promoted here full of sugar juice. 

you mean RED WINE of course ??

I am curious are they specifically taxing sugar (sucrose) drinks? I understand most US soft drink manufacturers have switched from expensive sugar to cheaper and more unhealthy corn syrups as sweeteners. Will the tax also be on sugar free diet soft drinks?

4 minutes ago, coulson said:

That's a mix of spice salt and sugar, actually quite nice.

Now tomato ketchup on pizza.....thats another story.

Yes, I agree, putting catsup on pizza is almost as bad as ruining a steak by putting catsup on it!

While there are definitely a lot more fat and even obese people in Thailand than when I first came here 20 odd years ago, I am happy to report that there seems to be a surge in exercise, where I live. Many people have started riding bicycles and doing other forms of exercise. Hope this continues, it would be sad to see Thailand go down the same unhealthy route of most western countries.

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Even on this topic Westerners cannot look at themselves in the mirror! WOW!

2fb04-americas-obesity-epidemic.jpg?w=84

I don't take sugar in drinks and I don't drink the ones that have it so yes I can look at other countries. The USA and UK have a serious problem agreed but so does most of Europe. Definitely not a pretty sight.

WELL, it was the THAI government that promoted sugar, back in the 50's as I recall and told the Thai people to put sugar in EVERYTHING and they still do and Thailand now is the second fattest country in Asia, right behind Malaysia and also has a VERY high rate of diabetes.

Guest Jerry787

they shall tax sugar beverages 2000% and as well cut 40% of profits from sugar beverages producers to be given for pay  for diabetes  in local hospitals .

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They may be "mostly" thin but there is a strong trend towards increased obesity, especially in youth, and sadly obesity in youth generally carries forward to obesity in adulthood. It's wise to try to address this before Thailand becomes another Mexico. 

They are rather a long way behind Mexico, and therefore even further behind USA, Australia, New Zealand, UK..........

11 hours ago, petedk said:

I once stood next to a Thai lady in a food court and counted that she put 8 (eight) heaped spoonfuls of sugar onto her Lad Na. Probably more sugar that noodles.

My Thai friend is the same, I often say to him... save time when blending his noodles.. just poor the whole bowl into the sugar dish & stir.. save time....

And what will the revenue from the sugar tax be spent on ??? another aircraft carrier perhaps.

The right thing would be to use the revenue to subsidise healthy drinks, fresh juices etc, a could place to start would be all school canteens.

I don't understand how taxing the end consumer will help solve obesity, I would happily pay Bht. 1 or 2 bhat more for my Coke or Pepsi or M100 - instead of taxing the end consumer they should enforce stricter regulation for alternative healthier sweating of the drinks at the manufacturing level. Also, enforce a portion size limit so people cant but a 500 ML coke with his burger at KFC or other fast food joints and food courts.

This is like saying we want to stop prostitution in Pattaya so we  add a tax to short time's on soi 6 - you think it will work - bet your ass it wont

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'd like to know if putting tax on these drinks actually has any effect on consumption levels. If mummy is just going to pay an extra 2 baht to keep her kid happy, the only winner is the tax department. Getting kids involved in activity sports is far more beneficial for the bodys weight, not to mention the cardio vascular system.

I agree tax will make zero difference to sugar consumption.  I also agree that kids need more activity and less time with video games - though fat accumulation is more effectively controlled through diet than exercise). Sugar is not simply a driver of obesity it leads to numerous serious health issues (diabetes, depression, increased cholesterol, heart disease etc).  Simply put, sugar slowly poisons the body.  Sugar is highly politicized.  Right from the farmers and processors through to the multi billion dollar corporations that depend on sugared products for their profits.  The only way to stop this train wreck is for governments to step up to the problem in the same way they did tobacco.

Archived