Upper Thailand warned of thundershowers and sharp mercury drop

rooster59

Upper Thailand warned of thundershowers and sharp mercury drop

By The Nation

The Meteorological Department Saturday warned the people in upper Thailand to brace themselves for possible thundershowers, gusty winds and a sharp drop in temperature.

In its ninth warning issued at 11 am on Saturday, the department explained that the weather would change quickly because of a strong high-pressure system that now covers the lower China.

The department said the high pressure was expected to cover upper Vietnam and Laos by Saturday night and then extend to the Northeast of Thailand on Sunday.

It said the high pressure, which is a cold mass, will crash with hot and humid conditions over upper Thailand, resulting in outbreaks of variable weather conditions probably including thundershowers and gusty winds. Heavy rains could also occur, and may be followed by a decrease in temperature by 2-5 degrees Celsius.

Affected areas are as followings:

October 21-22: Northeast. Loei, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima and Buri Ram.

October 22-23: North. Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phetchabun, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Sukhothai and Kamphaeng Phet.

Central. Nakhon Sawan, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Pra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Sing Buri, Ang Tong, Chai Nat, Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Phatom, Samut Songkram including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East. Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaew, Chachoengsao and Chon Buri.

October 24-26: South. More rain with isolated heavy falls, but less rain in the upper part of country.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329830

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-21

17 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

It said the high pressure, which is a cold mass, will crash with hot and humid conditions over upper Thailand

I am officially confused now.

Also, I LIKE to sip a cup of mercury in the mornings. Keeps my hair from getting gray(er).

What to do? What to do?

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Also, I LIKE to sip a cup of mercury in the mornings. Keeps my hair from getting gray(er).

What to do? What to do?

High air pressure means less moisture in the air and when it meets a lower pressure area that has a higher level of moisture in and is warmer the  cold area will push the warmer air upwards and the moisture starts to condense and fall as rain. The higher pressure section of air that is cooler than the warm moist low pressure replaces the warm moist air so the temperature drops.

???

Quite simple Watson.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Beautiful morning here in Phitsanulok, 34 degrees already. Must cut the lawn, do the laundry, then watch Match of the Day.

NE Lamphun - blue skies, fluffy clouds.  Just put a load of freshly washed laundry on the line.  Then off to sweep around the house, maybe grub around in the garden a bit.

5 hours ago, jaywalker said:

What to do? What to do?

That's ok, the Thai Met office is frequently confused as well.  :laugh:

For shats and grins, here's a quick animation of what they were on about. 

3 minutes ago, Ralf61 said:

Well, maybe for you, but please remember: Thermodynamics is a science and might, as such, be somewhat over some TV 's audiences heads...

Simple weather systems. Nothing complicated. 

Just to add, people will say why does it feel warmer when a cold front arrives?  It's because there is more sunshine ( fewer clouds ) but air temperature is measured in the shade not in sunshine.

?

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

After a couple of days of cooler temps, I do not want to see the Northern Farangs crying for

warmer temps again!

Geezer

Better not watch then :smile:

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Post #4

In the tropics the temperature difference is not so marked as it is in colder climates. The term warm/cold system relates to the difference in temperature between the two air systems.

In Europe it's much more likely to be a bigger drop in air temperature than out here, eg rainy day in UK at 12/15 degrees replaced by a dry air cold system that can cause icing, freezing etc, no moisture to hold the heat and no clouds to stop heat being radiated out of the atmosphere. Clear bright sunny days and never gets over 0 degrees.

I reside near the northernmost part of Thailand.   We got 5 minutes of rain today, and the sun was shining bright the whole time.  Unreal.   When are thundershowers coming again?  I'm ready.  I love the rain, as do frogs and plants.   Even my cacti don't mind.  They're over 2 meters tall.

3 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Note to skywatchers:  did anyone see any meteors burning up in the night sky?   I did, last night.  About 1240 am, a beauty burned in from the east.  Its long tail only showed for 2 seconds, but  looked like a giant sparkler.

That might have been the tail end of the orionoids

Archived