BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Chinese cruise ships bringing big business to Koh Samui

Chinese cruise ships bringing big business to Koh Samui

6pm2.jpg

Video screenshot

Channel 7 reported on the voyage of a large luxury cruise liner from China visiting Koh Samui for the first time.

Tourism officials welcomed the Cost Victoria Cruise that had traveled to the southern Thai island from Zhuhai via Laem Chabang.

It was anchored off the port of Nathon and 2,000 visitors came ashore and were expected to spend millions of baht in their day on the island.

Cruise ships are increasingly visiting Koh Samui with the current figure of Chinese ships and those from countries like Singapore visiting the gulf of Thailand topping 50 per year.

Source: CH7

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-23

Any reports from those in Nathon as to whether the cruise ship passengers who came ashore but chose to walk around Nathon instead of taking an excursion by minibus shopped or bought anything at a level comparable to previous cruise ship passengers? Usually cruise ships do seem to benefit Nathon that way. Did they cause congestion in the streets with their  behavior as pedestrians? Selfies taken from the middle of the streets by Chinese tourists are pretty common in Chiang Mai ?

44 minutes ago, islandguy said:

Any reports from those in Nathon as to whether the cruise ship passengers who came ashore but chose to walk around Nathon instead of taking an excursion by minibus shopped or bought anything at a level comparable to previous cruise ship passengers? Usually cruise ships do seem to benefit Nathon that way. Did they cause congestion in the streets with their  behavior as pedestrians? Selfies taken from the middle of the streets by Chinese tourists are pretty common in Chiang Mai 

I often wait in airport check in lines with Chinese tourists and am gobsmacked by how much they have purchased to bring home with them.  They spend a lot of time juggling goodies between their checked bag(s), their one allowed carry on and the 3-4 luxury store bags they can often get away with.   I also have Chinese friends who fund their travels by buying selected luxury goods and smuggling them back into China to sell off the radar. 

If the cruise lines don't limit their free luggage to 20kg like the airlines do, I can assure you they'll be feeding the local economy like very few western tourists do- or ever did.  In fact, I can envision quite a boom for people who know how to cater to them.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I often wait in airport check in lines with Chinese tourists and am gobsmacked by how much they have purchased to bring home with them.  They spend a lot of time juggling goodies between their checked bag(s), their one allowed carry on and the 3-4 luxury store bags they can often get away with.   I also have Chinese friends who fund their travels by buying selected luxury goods and smuggling them back into China to sell off the radar. 

If the cruise lines don't limit their free luggage to 20kg like the airlines do, I can assure you they'll be feeding the local economy like very few western tourists do- or ever did.  In fact, I can envision quite a boom for people who know how to cater to them.

Then hopefully they might go some way to offsetting the falling incomes of Samui' hotels. They might be full of Chinese visitors but breakfast is included with the package, the Chinese get picked up every day and go out on tours, then return in the evening having eaten already and go straight to their rooms.

The F&B income is vital to any hotel or resort and Samui's resorts are in a real mess because of this.

22 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Then hopefully they might go some way to offsetting the falling incomes of Samui' hotels. They might be full of Chinese but breakfast is included with the package, the Chinese get picked up every day and go out on tours, then return in the evening having eaten already and go strait to their rooms.

I'll be the first to admit I don't see 'em spending money.  I just see the end result when we're checking in to fly out.  They generally come with a list of crap their friends have asked them for, and they leave with most everything on the list.  If hotels are willing to get creative, speak to their guests, and stock some of the more sought after items, they can participate in the bonanza.  If they treat the Chinese as if their spending patterns are the same as western tourists, they'll suffer.  Make no mistake, the Chinese on tour spend money.  But not on the same things as the western tourists (who come from countries with very low luxury and import taxes).

Seems like they could set up one of their idle rooms (or a corner of the lobby) with a selection of the crap that's on a lot of their guests' shopping lists and skin the cat slightly differently...  Or they can lament the loss of the western tourists who they learned how to deal with 20 years ago.

Edit:  And here's a freebie for anyone who has Chinese guests.  10 years ago, they all rode bicycles.  Nobody owned a car.  So having a dozen (or more) bicycles for rent to Chinese guests who want to get around the neighborhood could be a cash cow- for the hotel renting the bicycles and the local community where they'll be shopping.  (Cheap $50 utility bicycles, not the $500 mountain bikes the westerners want to rent)   I'm sure they'd love to scrounge around the local area for the goodies on their lists, but not on foot...  And the tour bus only serves them as a group.

Full disclosure:  I'm typing this from my apartment in China where I lived for a decade before I took a job in BKK.

The Chinese do not go to bars and drink much anywhere in the world, but they buy jewelry, clothing, crafts, and consumables.  Gave a co-worker in Beijing a bottle of Thai whiskey.  He loved it.  

27 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'll be the first to admit I don't see 'em spending money.  I just see the end result when we're checking in to fly out.  They generally come with a list of crap their friends have asked them for, and they leave with most everything on the list.  If hotels are willing to get creative, speak to their guests, and stock some of the more sought after items, they can participate in the bonanza.  If they treat the Chinese as if their spending patterns are the same as western tourists, they'll suffer.  Make no mistake, the Chinese on tour spend money.  But not on the same things as the western tourists (who come from countries with very low luxury and import taxes).

Seems like they could set up one of their idle rooms (or a corner of the lobby) with a selection of the crap that's on a lot of their guests' shopping lists and skin the cat slightly differently...  Or they can lament the loss of the western tourists who they learned how to deal with 20 years ago.

Edit:  And here's a freebie for anyone who has Chinese guests.  10 years ago, they all rode bicycles.  Nobody owned a car.  So having a dozen (or more) bicycles for rent to Chinese guests who want to get around the neighborhood could be a cash cow- for the hotel renting the bicycles and the local community where they'll be shopping.  I'm sure they'd love to scrounge around the local area for the goodies on their lists, but not on foot...  And the tour bus only serves them as a group.

Full disclosure:  I'm typing this from my apartment in China where I lived for a decade before I took a job in BKK.

Please, please, please do not allow Chinese on bicycles in Pattaya. Selfie sticks do not help in navigation and traffic safety. Riding 5 abreast while having a loud conversation would not ease traffic flow.

I prefer a blue flag as a warning signal that a gaggle of Chinese are behind on foot.

Why not combat zero dollar tours by mandating a compulsory purchase of a 10,000 baht bag of crappy souvenirs at correct prices handed out under government supervision (!) as a visa requirement? These could be handed out on arrival, and nicely packaged in red and gold. 

And from now on I support the purchase of (Chinese )subs... can launch torpedoes at heir own vessels, hopefully.

Doesn't Samui have a huge trash problem already with 'em coming ?

2 hours ago, eddie61 said:

Please, please, please do not allow Chinese on bicycles in Pattaya. Selfie sticks do not help in navigation and traffic safety. Riding 5 abreast while having a loud conversation would not ease traffic flow.

I prefer a blue flag as a warning signal that a gaggle of Chinese are behind on foot.

Why not combat zero dollar tours by mandating a compulsory purchase of a 10,000 baht bag of crappy souvenirs at correct prices handed out under government supervision (!) as a visa requirement? These could be handed out on arrival, and nicely packaged in red and gold. 

You moved into an internationally renowned tourist town.   Doesn't that kind of put your disdain on your own decision?  Kind of like the guys who hate Russkies, Middle Easterners, Chinese, Japanese, Africans and the Irish, and then come up with the brilliant idea to live in a town where they all come on holiday- when we all know people are on their very best behavior.

Imagine the whining that would go on if TVF posters had to purchase a 10,000 baht bag of crap as a visa requirement.  There's 20 pages of tirades when the price of beer and smokes goes up by a couple of baht and who can forget the vitriol that erupted when the government proposed a 500 baht tax on tourists to offset the cost of critical care for those who get sick or hurt without insurance.

4 hours ago, robsamui said:

Then hopefully they might go some way to offsetting the falling incomes of Samui' hotels. They might be full of Chinese visitors but breakfast is included with the package, the Chinese get picked up every day and go out on tours, then return in the evening having eaten already and go straight to their rooms.

The F&B income is vital to any hotel or resort and Samui's resorts are in a real mess because of this.

Tourists have been visiting places in cruise ships for decades....however, it's new to Thailand and often people/businesses struggle when change is needed....the smart do it effortlessly, others usually fail.

4 hours ago, robsamui said:

Samui's resorts are in a real mess because of this.

Oh Lordy, have my predictions come true at last? I've been saying for over 15 years that the lemming rush to build resorts ( with resort prices ) would drive away a significant part of the western tourist demographic that used to flock to Samui when it was possible to stay in the centre of Chaweng beach for a reasonable price. When I saw the reinforcing steel coming over by the truckload, I said to myself that the Samui paradise days were over, and not long after that I stopped going to Samui as the beaches were over run by huge concrete monstrosities that are totally in our face, unlike when they were low key and behind the trees.

Then I saw that Charlie's Hut was gone, and I knew it was over as a destination for anyone that actually loves a beach, as opposed to getting pissed in the hotel bar.

Self inflicted injury.

Fortunately, I see that it is still possible to have a real, as opposed to a Samui faux, beach experience on so much more pleasant Phangan.

12 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Tourists have been visiting places in cruise ships for decades....however, it's new to Thailand and often people/businesses struggle when change is needed....the smart do it effortlessly, others usually fail.

Beach resort owners on the gulf Islands, in my long experience, have no clue as to how to actually run a business. They worked for decades on the principle that all they had to do to make money was to put up some sort of hut or room as long as it looked romantic, and sometimes it just looked like rubbish, but it made no matter as the western beach goers came by the thousands regardless. As long as the western youths had a bed, a balcony on which to hang a hammock, and something that sufficed as a restaurant, the money came rolling in, for little effort or investment.

The owners had no need to actually make an effort to provide any sort of "experience" to go with the hovel, as the beaches sold themselves. Unfortunately, they never made any effort to improve the experience- filthy beaches, not their problem, as they slept away the daylight hours, broken hut- who cares if the farang doesn't like it? Plenty more will come.

Then, the money men saw that lots and lots of tourists were coming and bought up beaches to erect concrete places for which they could demand much higher prices, even though they did little to provide a service to go with the prices. Still the crowds came.

But, eventually, the golden goose of natural, beautiful beaches that sold themselves was destroyed and the prices went too high. There are only so many rich people that are prepared to pay large to have a massage by a ruined beach, when other, far more exotic places compete.

So, with a completely different demographic of customer, it doesn't look like they are capable of adapting their palaces built for wealthy farangs to a zero baht tourist clientele.

If the owner of Charlie's Hut is still alive, I'd say he's :cheesy:.

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

6b5c8bf6-3bb5-4640-9afd-6e2ad745ecea.jpg

Chaweng next weekend........

Next weekend I doubt, it's still cremation ceremony, it merely looks like the following week-end's Chaweng-guest's line-up for Full Moon Party shuttle speedboats – and there might be a few Chinese in between...:whistling: