What's up with the lies?!

Csaw

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

From what I can see Thais mostly lie for the following reasons

1. to avoid confrontation

2. because they assume others will not want to hear the truth (that gets a bit foggy especially when they have responsibility for creating the true situation).

3. to get something they want

although I know many Thais who don't lie, it does seem to be rather a national trait.

You know who don't lie....Wow....As yet I have never acquired that ability.... Unless  it is about me...:stoner:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cmsally said:

From what I can see Thais mostly lie for the following reasons

1. to avoid confrontation

2. because they assume others will not want to hear the truth (that gets a bit foggy especially when they have responsibility for creating the true situation).

3. to get something they want

although I know many Thais who don't lie, it does seem to be rather a national trait.

Yes, #2 presents a bit of a conundrum, unless you are into tap-dancing with "flethics" (flexible ethics).

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

In my personal opinion, this is a normal phenomenona in thai and even worse with philipino. 

I can't remember the word, but they do have a special word for it and for some reason it is not considered to be lies. 

'Extemporising' or maybe 'improvising' . . . they both make lying 'cool'.

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

This is the Farang Pub forum so you'll get a higher than normal level of daft comments.   

Thankfully the completely unfunny puns haven't started appearing (yet).

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Please stop all those supposed to be funny answers about other members comments. Or is this a humorous forum?

I hope nobody took it to the first degree, of course it was not, even though I forgot a smiling emoticon.:smile:

34 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

They do not lie, for them it's the truth !

Ouch! Scorched!

So, you've seen her?

He sounded like a real gentleman, explaining to strangers about his wife's  teets. A gentleman never tells.

That being said,

"Let me tell you all about my wife's vagina."

My first Thai wife (non-bar girl) lied from start to finish. Second one (non bar-girl) seems OK in this respect.Truth is a straight line, when you lie you have to remember your deviations from the truth road - that is why my ex-wife got all the **** thrown at her in our divorce court and basically left with nothing.

6 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Superior Officer

There are as many different personalities as there are people.

My question is...what is an "SO"? 

Oh, in that case she is just trying to impress you to get you in bed - sue her for Sexual Harrassment

Quite often the simplest explanation is the correct one.  She's a compulsive liar. 

My wife is a good and honest soul, but she has fibbed in the past, usually when she's screwed something up and wants to avoid taking responsibility and/or confrontation over it.  Reminds me of a little kid who will deny having eaten the cake, despite the obvious. 

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Not if he speaks and writes that way normally.  It is a pleasure to see someone with a good vocabulary and one who knows how to use it.

Hmmm I thought the first rule of speaking/teaching English was to speak to the audience so they will understand you, if not, then what's the point??  "Tell 'em what you are going to tell 'em, Tell 'em, Then tell 'em what you told 'em.

"Scratch a liar find a thief." I think that cliche runs true in Thailand.

I think Thai culture in general has some "trust" issues. My theory is that because Thailand has for so long had an extended family based social structure,  and many Thais mainly associate with people they have known for a long time, everyone else is fair game, exploitable if the opportunity arises, in much the same way tribes roaming through the countryside and forest viewed other tribes with initial distrust and suspicion. Foreigners are especially viewed as easily victimized because they are (accurately) perceived as being outsiders, transitory, and politically and socially disconnected from Thai mainstream society. Originating (no doubt) in the bars, the mentality that it is OK to lie to and rip off foreigners, is widespread in Thai society. Sorry but this is my honest opinion.

Many Thais, outside of their immediate families and a very tight circle of people they have known for a long time, don't especially trust one another. Further, I believe this trust deficit, which inhibits cooperative and team effort, is holding back Thailand's economic development.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:
1 hour ago, soistalker said:

But the face?

they say you don't look at the mantelpiece when stoking the fire

Of course you do, plus you look at the mantelpiece throughout the day and you want to show off the fine mantelpiece to other people.  

I think Thais are basically honest. except when they are pushed into a situation which requires evasion to safe face, or avoid confrontation.

I can remember an occasion when I was still renting a scooter, and I took it in for a regular service. Full tank of gasoline. When I got it back, almost empty. I pointed this out to the boss lady, and she summoned the two mechanics. I found it difficult to keep a straight face, the body language of one was so obvious. It's just a shame I couldn't understand all the Thai she dressed him down with. Scooter returned to me with a full tank again.

15 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think Thai culture in general has some "trust" issues. My theory is that because Thailand has for so long had an extended family based social structure,  and many Thais mainly associate with people they have known for a long time, everyone else is fair game, exploitable if the opportunity arises, in much the same way tribes roaming through the countryside and forest viewed other tribes with initial distrust and suspicion. Foreigners are especially viewed as easily victimized because they are (accurately) perceived as being outsiders, transitory, and politically and socially disconnected from Thai mainstream society. Originating (no doubt) in the bars, the mentality that it is OK to lie to and rip off foreigners, is widespread in Thai society. Sorry but this is my honest opinion.

Many Thais, outside of their immediate families and a very tight circle of people they have known for a long time, don't especially trust one another. Further, I believe this trust deficit, which inhibits cooperative and team effort, is holding back Thailand's economic development.

This is an interesting analysis and theory.   

47 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If everyone else outside their "main circle" is lying and trying to rip them off, how do you build up trust ? As soon as you get them to trust, they get ripped off. :sleep:

All very chicken and egg and nobody wants to be caught with the scrambled egg or murdered chicken.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Yeah, better to put your parents in a care home, that's progress.

Back in 2004, I spent the month in Cambodia. I stayed at a small hotel on the riverside in Phnom Penh. I stayed for a few weeks, then went up Country for a few days. When I got back, I asked for the same room on the top floor. The guy said ok, but it needs to be cleaned. He said leave my bags there and come back in two hours.

After two hours, I came back. But he had rented the room to other people. I told him that he told me to come back in two hours bexause the room was being cleaned. He said that he didn't say that.

it was one of my first times in Cambodia, so I asked an expat why he would lie to My face like that. He said that because of their history with the Khmer Rouge, that only those good at lying survived. I believed him.

But after moving to Thailand, the lies were bigger and more frequent. I think lying in SE Asia  is just what goes on. Everybody is full of shit. Cheating and lying is a sport in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

3 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Back in 2004, I spent the month in Cambodia. I stayed at a small hotel on the riverside in Phnom Penh. I stayed for a few weeks, then went up Country for a few days. When I got back, I asked for the same room on the top floor. The guy said ok, but it needs to be cleaned. He said leave my bags there and come back in two hours.

After two hours, I came back. But he had rented the room to other people. I told him that he told me to come back in two hours bexause the room was being cleaned. He said that he didn't say that.

it was one of my first times in Cambodia, so I asked an expat why he would lie to My face like that. He said that because of their history with the Khmer Rouge, that only those good at lying survived. I believed him.

But after moving to Thailand, the lies were bigger and more frequent. I think lying in SE Asia  is just what goes on. Everybody is full of shit. Cheating and lying is a sport in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

going of on a tangent, I often tell the story about a bar in Koh Samui, I ordered a beer at 5 minutes before happy hour ended, I went to pay the bill maybe 15 minutes later and they told me happy hour prices only applied from the second drink on, amazing  Thailand....................never forgotten that

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Families, the root of all evil here. Run and operated by the female specie. 

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think you're going a bit over-the-top with your psychoanalysis when the question in the OP is more about "why do Thai BGs lie to farangs?"  The answer should be freakin obvious except to the most naive.  I honestly don't see Thais not trusting one another, even outside their immediate families.  There is no epidemic of mistrust in Thai society, if that's what you're getting at.  That's just paranoia in the extreme.   

Archived