Police just taking "defensive measures" says chief after suspect kicked off motorcycle

webfact

Police just taking "defensive measures" says chief after suspect kicked off motorcycle

2a.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The chief of police in Hat Yai explained away the incident where a chasing policeman on a motorcycle kicked out causing a fleeing rider to crash to the tarmac.

Chief Kittichai Sangkhathaworn said on a police Facebook page that the two cops on the police bike were just taking defensive measures to avoid coming off themselves.

Defending his men he said it was not a deliberate attempt to bring down the suspect.

Earlier in the day comment was rife online as Thais said that the cops had kicked out. Daily News concurred with this assessment.

Chief Kittichai said that the officers involved - Manot Otthon and Wisanu Jamnongnoi - had set up a legal roadblock and Ratanaphon, 21, had failed to stop when requested.

A 30 minute chase ensued in which Ratanaphon sideswiped a Ford.

He said that outside the Isuzu dealership on Petchkasem Road Manot stuck out a boot, as the suspect weaved in front, in an effort to stay upright.

Ratanaphon came off and was treated at the scene by medics though he was only slightly injured.

Daily News reported that Ratanaphon settled with the Ford driver over compensation and was not going to take the matter concerning the cops any further.

No other charges were reported in respect of him not stopping for officers at the roadblock.

2aa.jpg

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-24

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god that is attempted murder in the eyes of the civilized world. The cop was lining up to do it from way back

Watching too many American movies I think thinking he is driving a car

. Utter idiot should be jailed

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Chief Kittichai Sangkhathaworn

Which bullSh>> school did you go to, it was not very good, get your money back

8 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

My god that is attempted murder in the eyes of the civilized world. The cop was lining up to do it from way back

No it wasn't!

You should see what the motocy's do in BKK when the police wants to stop them, they just do anything except stopping.

This guy might have been a bankrobber, murderer on the run or whatever....stop means stop, how hard can that be?

The debate as to whether this was the correct way to stop the chase is one thing, but I think it is blatant to everyone who has seen it, that it was deliberate. But rather than come out and say so, the Hat Yai Chief tries to tell us a bunch of very unbelievable lies. Why? Many of us have seen this happen before, so we all know it is a fairly routine practice, despicable as it is.

43 minutes ago, Thian said:

No it wasn't!

You should see what the motocy's do in BKK when the police wants to stop them, they just do anything except stopping.

This guy might have been a bankrobber, murderer on the run or whatever....stop means stop, how hard can that be?

Yes it was.  All this guy is guilty of is running a road block.  He could be seriously hurt due to this.  There are other ways to deal with runners like this.  Sadly, they take the easy way out here.

A good lawsuit with a huge fine will stop this.  Police think they are above the law here.  And most times, they are. :sad:

Bravo, Bravo, and Bravo

We want more enforcement I for one in this video got it!  If it was me I would pull up and yank him by the collar.  It should have been done sooner, his actions could have hurt others since he was clearly evading arrest or just don't have a damn bit of respect for the law which is why Thais are upset about what was done.

The problem, what is the law?  He makes a financial deal to the Ford owners great. But he should have been arrested and charged, reckless driving, evading arrest, if he wants to press charges I say " bring it on " meantime you sit in jail while the book is thrown at you.

Sure, he ran a roadblock, maybe because he just murder someone, etc.. sure he could have gotten hurt, wish he did, but he could have hurt others by evading. He put himself in the position by evading for something to happen and I for one is glad it was him. Sure, as for the police, why apologize just explain why! end of story.

Corruption, sure we want more and these two guys did want they had to Bravo.

Agree or disagree, any one of us in the same position would would have pull over and stopped.

47 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

that it was deliberate. But rather than come out and say so, the Hat Yai Chief tries to tell us a bunch of very unbelievable lies.

must be what they are taught in the police academy, galvanized by real life experience; they must believe the public is truly stupid/gullible and thus can say anything to them that they want

Another reason Thais do not trust the police The cop was attempting to knock the bike down several times

He was not trying to steady himself  So they gave the biker a choice Forget what happened or we will charge you

This is true police corruption at its worst . The police chief should have launched an investigation properly and not only

held the cops accountable but should have also charged the rider as well

Sad day in Thailand This is not reform 

2 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Another reason Thais do not trust the police The cop was attempting to knock the bike down several times

He was not trying to steady himself  So they gave the biker a choice Forget what happened or we will charge you

This is true police corruption at its worst . The police chief should have launched an investigation properly and not only

held the cops accountable but should have also charged the rider as well

Sad day in Thailand This is not reform 

Interesting article in the Bangkok Post today. Can't link here, but seems the random police checkpoints shakedowns might be coming to an end.  Front page article on the website.

I saw this one at a small dirt roadblock. Police obviously looking for a suspect in the area, lots of police everywhere. I saw this old farmer ride his old motorbike, didn't seem to understand what was going on, been riding this path every day for years, so he just keeps on going and one of the officers kicks out and the old grandpa ends up in the ditch, covered with motorcycle, farm accessories and a bag of rice. I felt really sorry for him.

For the police action discussed in this forum posting, clearly, the police has instructed the guy to stop, the guy does not stop, a chase ensues and police stop running guy. Nothing wrong here.

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

In some first world countries he would have been pulled over with a bullet.

Particularly for the crime of riding while brown.

yes, and below the border, you'll hear a 

"berhenti"

"berhenti"

but you don't live to hear the 3rd 'berhenti'

Part of the problem is the laxity of enforcement of the registration and change of ownership laws. I would estimate over 20% of motorcycles in Chiang Mai have no number plates, and over 50% are not registered to the current owner/drivers. Also the records don't appear to be nationally computerised or available to patrolling police officers.

So if the police want to deal with an offender, they better stop them at the time as they have no chance of tracing them later through registration records. This obviously encourages them to take extreme measures.

Archived