Grandmother comes home to find two sisters, 8 and 5, drowned in school lake

webfact

Grandmother comes home to find two sisters, 8 and 5, drowned in school lake

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police in Sakon Nakorn were called after two sisters went missing in Pang Khwang sub district yesterday.

All that could be seen on a landing area behind a school were two pairs of flip flops.

After a 40 minute search of a lake by foundation divers the dead bodies of Thidathep Sawatwong, 8, and her sister Thepthida, 5, were retrieved.

They had both drowned.

Villagers told Daily News that they girls' parents had split up and moved away leaving the children with grandmother Siyan Norasan who had to go out to work selling things to support them.

She had left the girls home alone during the school holidays and while they waited for her to return they had drowned after playing in the water.

They were not yet good swimmers, reported Daily News.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-25

So so so sad.  Unfortunately children are left alone here because parents or in this case, grandparents still have to work to provide for the children they care for.  Because this is a known issue, there should be simple and inexpensive programs setup to teach grandparents how to plan, organize and monitor situations where young children need supervision.  This could have been prevented with education.  I have a young one so this is really heart breaking......

7 minutes ago, fanof3d said:

So so so sad.  Unfortunately children are left alone here because parents or in this case, grandparents still have to work to provide for the children they care for.  Because this is a known issue, there should be simple and inexpensive programs setup to teach grandparents how to plan, organize and monitor situations where young children need supervision.  This could have been prevented with education.  I have a young one so this is really heart breaking......

"....should be simple and inexpensive programs setup to teach grandparents how to plan, organize and monitor situations where young children need supervision."  The government should assist people in these sad situations.

"...girls' parents had split up and moved away leaving the children ...."

Usually, it's the mother who is left by the husband, boyfriend to look after the kids with help from grandma etc.

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

The government should assist people in these sad situations.

The government this, the government that.....you guys miss the nanny-state me thinks..

Parents should not dump the kids at grandma who still has to work all day.

problem is no one accepts responsibility, parents take off to do their own thing, grandmother doesnt get others to watch them, easier to just let them do whatever they like by themselves. Good parenting and Thailand should never be mentioned in the same sentence as it just doesnt happen in many cases, easier to dump the kids on others or just leave them to their own amusement, in this case it was their deaths, rip.

Appalling tragedy yes.
Could have been avoided if the children were able to swim? Maybe.
Unfortunately teaching children to swim here is not a priority.
Look it up and you'll see that these 2 children were just two of the 7 that drown in Thailand on any day. Not a misprint. Every day. 2600/year. Not what the govt will tell you though. They like to minimise the number, just as they do with the number of road deaths.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Thian said:

The government this, the government that.....you guys miss the nanny-state me thinks..

Parents should not dump the kids at grandma who still has to work all day.

Damn right I do, in cases like this

There are a lot of things people should not do, but thats never stopped them

12 hours ago, webfact said:

the girls' parents had split up and moved away leaving the children with grandmother Siyan Norasan who had to go out to work selling things to support them.

She had left the girls home alone during the school holidays and while they waited for her to return they had drowned after playing in the water.

<deleted>*k me, that's got to be the most depressing thing I've read in a long time.

I realise that Thai kids love their parents a lot. And I realise that family is very important to Thais. But how important are children to their parents? Other than making sure they study and get a good job so they can look after their parents when they get old, do Thai parents really care about their kids?

Based on the news it sometimes doesn't feel like they do very much. Or is it just the old 'no idea of consequences to any action' thing?

On 10/25/2017 at 7:31 AM, oldlakey said:

Damn right I do, in cases like this

There are a lot of things people should not do, but thats never stopped them

@ oldlakey.  If you read the article, it said that the parents had split up and "left the area" so while they obviously cared more about themselves than their children, this has nothing to do with "dumping the kids off for the day" at all.  Again, grandmother had a decision to make.  In her mind, she's probably telling herself that she has to feed them and pay additional expenses as the current caretaker now that the parents have gone.   What I was trying to point out is that this could've been avoided.  This type of circumstance is common here.  Would just be nice to see some of these issues being addressed by those who have the resources to make it happen but I guess the PTB have more important issues to deal with......take your pick.

7 hours ago, fanof3d said:

@ oldlakey.  If you read the article, it said that the parents had split up and "left the area" so while they obviously cared more about themselves than their children, this has nothing to do with "dumping the kids off for the day" at all.  Again, grandmother had a decision to make.  In her mind, she's probably telling herself that she has to feed them and pay additional expenses as the current caretaker now that the parents have gone.   What I was trying to point out is that this could've been avoided.  This type of circumstance is common here.  Would just be nice to see some of these issues being addressed by those who have the resources to make it happen but I guess the PTB have more important issues to deal with......take your pick.

Sorry my friend but I have no idea what you are going on about

My reply was to POST 6 which I quoted

In my reply I admitted that I missed the Nanny state, because in my opinion the Grandmother would have received at least some help and assistance

Then maybe , just maybe this extremely sad loss of life might not have happened

My comment about peoples conduct was just a factual point I felt I needed to make in general, obviously also in reply to POST 6

It was not aimed at the Grandmother in any shape or form

Thanks for your kind advice but I can assure you I did read the OP

If you are still in doubt fanof3d,  I AM actually talking to YOU this time

Archived