Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

33 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

Ok Trumps got some issues like his tweets and Facebook posts. But you’ve only got to look at the results if you can get by the “fake news” such as falling unemployment, massive gains in the stock markets, America first strategy. IMHO I believe he’s done more for Americans than Obama did in 8 years. That’s why billionaires don’t like him because he’s trying to make a leveller playing field for the ordinary person and it cuts into their fortunes.

He is doing exactly the opposite of what you say.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Exactly.  The opening sentence of the article says it all :-

"Billionaire media mogul says it is ‘hard to understand why a country doing so well wanted to ruin it’"

I think most recognise that whilst the wealthy were doing very well, the poor and average were not doing "so well".  Something Mr Bloomberg doesn't care about and/or has entirely missed......

That response may be credible if the Brexit side wasn't led by the likes of multi-millionaire misanthropists such as Aaron Banks, Lord Rothmere, a whole swathe of Eton posh boys and multiple other establishment (un)worthies. 

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Exactly.  The opening sentence of the article says it all :-

"Billionaire media mogul says it is ‘hard to understand why a country doing so well wanted to ruin it’"

I think most recognise that whilst the wealthy were doing very well, the poor and average were not doing "so well".  Something Mr Bloomberg doesn't care about and/or has entirely missed......

The uk is at the top of the per head income in the eu.

To make the eu responsible for the uneven distribution of the income

within the uk is stupid populism.

On the contrary, over 40 years eu Membership has ensured that many companies have settled in the uk and created jobs for the normal population.

In the future, without the barrier-free market access to the largest market in the world, the companies will tend to dismantle workplaces for joe normalo and no longer invest in the uk.

It is foreseeable that the uk will try to stop with very low corporate tax rates this migration process. That would mean an economic war and joe normalo would be the loser again.

Economically brexit is stupid.

Losers are all europe including the uk and quite sure: joe normalo.

32 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

Bloomberg is only bitter because he sunk a load of money into a new HQ and now because of brexit a lot are leaving London.

Oops, what a giveaway!  So a lot are leaving London because of Brexit, eh?  

And you see this as a good thing because...?

1 minute ago, chezy86 said:

It was only my opinion as you are entitled to yours but undeniably stock markets are up unemployment down gdp up is this fake news maybe?

No, but do you really think Trump had anything to do with those two things?

40 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

It was only my opinion as you are entitled to yours but undeniably stock markets are up unemployment down gdp up is this fake news maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

But since you reached the conclusion " That’s why billionaires don’t like him because he’s trying to make a leveller playing field for the ordinary person and it cuts into their fortunes. " is the exact opposite of what is happening I don't think there is any point in an extensive answer.

The only billionaires that don't like him are the more socially responsible ones.

See that Attrayant is trying, good luck.

53 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

If the decision is right or wrong it has nothing to do with this Yank. It was decided by the British people. Sort out your own countries problems before poking your nose into things that are none of your business 

In that case can we look forward to Yankland minding its own business globally or will they continue to interfere in the domestic affairs of dozens of countries?

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

But since you reached the conclusion " That’s why billionaires don’t like him because he’s trying to make a leveller playing field for the ordinary person and it cuts into their fortunes. " is the exact opposite of what is happening I don't think there is any point in an extensive answer.
The only billionaires that don't like him are the more socially responsible ones.

See that Attrayant is trying, good luck.

Oh he’s trying alright thanks for the support [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Leavers are right in one regard; Asia and Latin America are the future for global trade but they seem to be under the impression that Britain will leave the EU and then do a trade deal with individual countries the next day.

Trade deals take years to finalise and, even then, Britain's exports only account for a trifling 15% of its GDP - the rest is all selling guff to each other in return for borrowed money.

The US, China, India, Brazil etc will bend us over a barrel and roger us hard......without lubricant.....because they have decades of experience at this sort of thing and we'll be desperate.

Seriously hard times are on the way and the people who voted for Brexit are the ones most likely to be adversely affected.

The elites will barely blink because they make money come rain or shine.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is a fascinating question that I haven't answered to my own satisfaction yet.

On the face of it, electing Trump ought to be ahead by several miles. 

However, Trump is short term and there are various ways to remove him; he could be impeached, the Russia probe might (will) get him, the 25th amendment, etc. Or, he could simply have a heart attack tomorrow; he is 72, doesn't exercise much and does not seem to be in good shape.

The UK had free access to a market of a couple of hundred million people in a stable, peaceful area with countries of generally similar values (democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc.), and gave that up for... sovereignty? The right to be small? Sorry, I still don't quite understand why the UK left.

Hmm...

More thought required...

Because the majority of the people who could be a.rs.ed to vote voted for it. It's called democracy.

I think the Brexit vote was more stupid. At least Trump can be voted out in 4 years and there are some balances to his power. Brexit is not irrevocable but it will be difficult to get a 2nd referendum through without some courageous politicking - and regrettably that seems unlikely. The betrayal of future generations would be stupid in the extreme, although the fault really lies in the disgraceful and dishonest Brexit campaign.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Who knows what’s happening with all this fake news and mis information passed out through popular media but judging on the original article about Mr Bloomberg I sort of get the impression that this billionaire is not happy with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

And as you keep being told, that's down to the government NOT the EU. Look at the GINI coefficients! Inequality in the UK is obscene.

EU countries typically have much better social care and pensions

ALL smart people (except the Komodo subset) know Brexit is f******* stupid!

We should dump the Con Party get in PR and sort out the undoubted problems of the EU from within. Conditions have changed ?

According to you the stupid people won the vote for Brexit. Shame the "Smart" people couldn't have the sofa removed from their back to get out and vote. Innit?

How about lumping the good old USA in with Canada, Mexico, and the rest of the Americas making the numbers up to 27 different Countries, with their different cultures, with their different financial situations, then bring in a load of people who are not elected by those who govern them and let them make up their laws and demand everyone sticks by them, even when one size does not fit all. Then perhaps this idiot, all be it rich idiot, might just begin to understand.  Or even better still, go speak to your President about "America First".  Who the hell do these people think they are to dictate to others?

As per the government leaflet sent to every UK home:

"This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide."

Not exactly legally binding, but difficult to break politically. When the full ramifications of a hard Brexit are fully understood, a re-think will happen!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm a Joe Soap, it took me ten months to find a minimum wage job here in the UK after returning from Thailand, my CV includes operations management in many fields. I have nothing against foreigners but a reduction in the work force could give a guy like me more opportunities, Thai style labour and land ownership laws would be great for the UK in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have to agree with that statement. The Pound nosedived straight after taking 20% of my monthly cash with it. I know many UK people were unhappy about the amount of immigrants from other EU countries coming in, but most of them failed to appreciate that they had exactly the same opportunity to go work in France, Spain, wherever.

Now the future, which was looking OK, is far more uncertain. as in will we get a Brexit deal or not and the Pound is still seriously weak.

Not sure it is up there with the stupidity of electing Trump, but IMO, definitely wasn't a smart move.

11% my US dollar since rump. Your 20% looks a lot worse

Archived