New Linux user – Help Please - How can I do this ?

Once Bitten

I decided to give Linux a try so I installed Linux Mint 17.3 on my Asus laptop and its running very well . I have my computers all connected to the internet via Ethernet cables to my wireless router and I all so have my LG smart TV connected to the internet again via an Ethernet cable to the router .

LG TV model number – 42LN570T

I am trying to stream my films that are stored on the Linux laptop to my LG smart TV  via the Ethernet cable connection from the router . 

I have spent a few days trying to achieve this but still cant manage to get the TV to see my Linux laptop / films .

I can achieve the film streaming from my Windows laptops to my LG Smart TV via my router ( The LG TV can find my Windows laptops ) with no problems . 

The distance from my computer room where my laptops and router are ,  to my LG smart TV in the lounge is to far to run a  HDMI cable .

I'm a newcomer to Linux so  I could do with some help / advice   Please 

Router 001 (Medium) - Copy.jpg

It looks like LG uses Miracast. Thus look into Miraclecast. It appears that you best bet is probably using VLC to broadcast from your computer. 

VLC also can broadcast by itself. If your LG TV can access video streams, just type in the computer's address appended by :8080 after configuring VLC.

The final option is to set up your computer as a DLNA server; that way the TV will see it as a library and won't require you to play anything on your computer. 

If you have just installed Linux, I am surprised you have chosen an older distro, Mint 18.2 is currently the latest LTS (Long Term Support) version.

Often you will find an updated kernel and much greater support for "other" hardware.

IMO Computing is fun, worth a try to see if it functions with all the latest stuff.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:12 AM, dave_boo said:

It looks like LG uses Miracast. Thus look into Miraclecast. It appears that you best bet is probably using VLC to broadcast from your computer. 

VLC also can broadcast by itself. If your LG TV can access video streams, just type in the computer's address appended by :8080 after configuring VLC.

The final option is to set up your computer as a DLNA server; that way the TV will see it as a library and won't require you to play anything on your computer. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now managed to get my LG Smart TV to see my Linux OS by installing a DLNA server type program called 

MediaTomb .

I'm now trying to set MediaTomb up :thumbsup:

On 10/26/2017 at 7:05 AM, MalandLee said:

If you have just installed Linux, I am surprised you have chosen an older distro, Mint 18.2 is currently the latest LTS (Long Term Support) version.

Often you will find an updated kernel and much greater support for "other" hardware.

IMO Computing is fun, worth a try to see if it functions with all the latest stuff.

Thanks for the Mint 18.2 recommendation . I'm going to give it a try :thumbsup: 

• 10 months later...

good,

there is mediatomb dlna server, but also Plex media server, and Kodi (who can provide DLNA server to).

An other one way is also to make running a dedicated home-ciname system (low electric power for low cost with ARM like Raspberyr or Odroid-xu4), then install a Kodi... plug HDMI-2.0 cable to TV, enable HDMI-CEC on TV, add a HDMI-CEC adaptator on your HDMI cable connection (also linked on USB-2.0), then... enjoy freedom.

Also, if you share files by samba server OR a FTP (or sFtp or FTPs) from Linux, your unsafe Windows systems should be also able to read/write on them (directly for samba, or through filezila client for FTP).

Archived