Ah Bisto.

In our tropical island paradise (down south) both Bisto & onion gravy mixes are available in Makro & Big C. Suggest you check out local branches of these establishments (if you have them, that is). Also check out the outfits that push mail order food supplies on TV. I have seen the items you’re search for advertised. Unfortunately, at the moment I can’t remember where. If the info comes back I’ll let you know

Handy stuff to have around if you are seriously pushed for time but all it is is bouillon with a thickening agent. At a push (such as having run out) just brown some onion in a little oil and or butter, add some flour and cook it out for maybe 2-3 minutes then add water and a vegetable stock cube. 

On 27/10/2017 at 3:47 PM, Paul Laycock1 said:

I want to buy onion gravy but can't find it, that's the granular type.

Ah, Bisto?

Ah, Makro (Pattaya). They also have some other sorts of powdered onion gravy, though I have no idea what they taste like.

Personally I just put two or three large finely diced onions under whatever meat I'm roasting. These cook in the juices of the meat. Then remove the meat and roast the onions and juice hard for another 20 minutes or so until nice and brown. Then season, add water (or stock) and thicken with flour. If you want your gravy really dark, just add gravy browning. But this last step doesnt change the flavour, which is wonderful and infinitely better than the package sort.

1 hour ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

I'm vegitarian so meat doesn't come into the factor.

Fair enough, but you will still get a huge amount of flavour out of my recipe even if you dont add meat. The trick is to cook the onions slowly for a long time, and then to brown them hard at the end. The more colour you get the more flavour will come with it. And dont forget to scrape all the burnt bits off the side of the baking tin/bowl with a knife, and mix them back into the gravy.
I generally start mine off with microwave heat for 20 minutes before adding the meat and switching to convection heating.

My gravy is so sweet you would think that sugar had been added, but none is: just salt and pepper.

The other sort of powdered gravy at Makro is an American brand. But I'm sure that does have added sugar and probably a load of other stuff too.

2 hours ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

Thanks for the info, was at makro and BigC earlier today couldn't find them.

As I will soon run out I will save the empty carton and take that along, can only ask, not sure if I'll get a sensible answer but will try.

I doubt Makro or BigC will ever sell Tesco brand Onion gravy. Bit it's in the Tesco Chiang Mai Superhighway branch for 42bht.

gravy.jpg

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I doubt Makro or BigC will ever sell Tesco brand Onion gravy. Bit it's in the Tesco Chiang Mai Superhighway branch for 42bht.

That's quite cheap. A smallish tub, I suppose? Makro here do larger sizes of Bisto for about 135B, I think.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

200gm.

Very good price. The Makro one is 300g for about 135B, though it is the brand name rather than a Tesco own-label. Probably all made in the same factory anyway.

Actually yours seems to be barely more than the UK price of 74p.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Stock_Sauce_Mix_And_Gravy/Tesco_Onion_Gravy_Granules_200g.html?TrackingCode=AQANAAE.KWrxeYvTEUmQctgnfcEt8A

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Actually yours seems to be barely more than the UK price of 74p.

Before Brexit it was the same price, but they haven't bothered to alter the Thai price in  line with the exchange rate.

11 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Before Brexit it was the same price, but they haven't bothered to alter the Thai price in  line with the exchange rate.

I find that most imported things here are simply double or triple or quadruple the European price, so to find anything that is so close to the UK price is very surprising.

Archived