Thai man who went to "spend a penny" lost a whole lot more!

rooster59

Thai man who went to "spend a penny" lost a whole lot more!

gold.JPG

Image: Daily News

A Nakorn Nayok man on his way to a wedding in Udon Thani left a huge gold dowry in the toilets of a gas station.

A Good Samaritan who found the 800,000 baht haul a few minutes after handed it in to the manager of the PTT station.

Soon the absent minded owner drove back and convinced the police that he was the owner of the gold and was on his way to his grandson's wedding.

There was a total of 40 baht weight of necklaces, bracelets and rings in a bag, reported Daily News.

Rangsan Ketsingsoi, 35, from Utaradit who found it in the toilets, didn't want to touch it at first worrying what it might be. But after taking a peek inside he realized what it was and handed it in.

Thrilled owner Thaweechai Khamchompoo, 49, tried to give a reward to Rangsan who refused the money.

Instead 3,000 baht was given as "sweet money" to Rangsan's son as the police and everyone else posed for happy pictures.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-28

36 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And why is the owner such a cheap charlie? The finder's reward should me more than just 0.375 per cent (3,000 baht of 800,000 baht), whether he gives it to the finder or his son. People are just ungrateful!

The finder refused any offer,  it wasn’t his gold and he knew the money was for a dowry so he probably did not want to upset any marriage plans. What do you suggest? Buy the owner’s son the latest I-phone?

1 hour ago, bannork said:

The finder refused any offer,  it wasn’t his gold and he knew the money was for a dowry so he probably did not want to upset any marriage plans. What do you suggest? Buy the owner’s son the latest I-phone?

Why not? If I lost 800,000 baht and got it back from an honest soul, damn right, I would buy his son the latest I-phone!

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And why is the owner such a cheap charlie? The finder's reward should me more than just 0.375 per cent (3,000 baht of 800,000 baht), whether he gives it to the finder or his son. People are just ungrateful!

If you read the post slowly and carefully you may note that the finder actually refused to take ANY reward at all.

So he was NOT in your words such a cheap charlie after all.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you read the post slowly and carefully you may note that the finder actually refused to take ANY reward at all.

So he was NOT in your words such a cheap charlie after all.

So if your wife says: "I don't want anything from you for my birthday.", or your kid says: "All I want for Christmas is us being together.", you give them zilch?? I doubt that the finder's son would have objected to a 'larger' gift.

Reminds me of a recent story, where the owner rewarded the finder of his lost valuables with a candy! In your understanding this was probably okay too, cause the finder didn't ask for a reward...

Mind you, where I come from (and in many other countries), the owner is required by law to give the finder 10% of the value of the lost item, so you understand why I was taken aback by the "gracious" 'sweet money' of (only) 3,000 baht.

Alternatively, the owner could have given, say 3 per cent (i.e. 24,000 baht), or so, to a charity, or, if he preferred, to his favourite temple. I, personally, would be "shy" to part with only 0.375 per cent of that big sum, whether I gave it to the honest finder, or his family.

very good to see,             i know how it feels to lose a lot of gold,         my x wife left her gold not once but twice !!

first time on a london bus in her handbag approx 24 baht worth.       bag was handed into bus depot at central london ..lucky !!    thank god for honest folk.       that bus was jammed packed i and i only noticed it when the doors were closing and we were off the bus,  i ran after the bus screaming like a madman, tried to stop cars to follow it but no one dared stop and help me maybe they did think i was a lunatic  ( must be to have married her ) 

second time she left it in a car dealerships office in  samut prakan ,         i realised only after driving away for a few miles,  we returned the bag was away,        i called police but 10 minutes later an employee returned the bag with gold inside about 16 baht worth plus cas.....again extremely fortunate &  lucky !

needless to say i have never bought her anymore gold and this behavior was the very reason why we broke up !

she has now sold all her gold in the UK ,     so yes you could say i lost the lot :sick:

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Which bit of this did you miss? 

"Thrilled owner Thaweechai Khamchompoo, 49, tried to give a reward to Rangsan who refused the money."

Nice that some people are still not as greedy as you appear to be.

30 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So if your wife says: "I don't want anything from you for my birthday.", or your kid says: "All I want for Christmas is us being together.", you give them zilch?? I doubt that the finder's son would have objected to a 'larger' gift.

Reminds me of a recent story, where the owner rewarded the finder of his lost valuables with a candy! In your understanding this was probably okay too, cause the finder didn't ask for a reward...

Mind you, where I come from (and in many other countries), the owner is required by law to give the finder 10% of the value of the lost item, so you understand why I was taken aback by the "gracious" 'sweet money' of (only) 3,000 baht.

Alternatively, the owner could have given, say 3 per cent (i.e. 24,000 baht), or so, to a charity, or, if he preferred, to his favourite temple. I, personally, would be "shy" to part with only 0.375 per cent of that big sum, whether I gave it to the honest finder, or his family.

But like me and everybody else you don't KNOW what else he did.

You are only going on what you would do.

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The owner has offered a reward but the finder thought to be honest was a perfect reward and he kindly refused. 

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well done, you found something from this story to have a moan about

When I read this story, I thought to myself , no one will be able too see anything negative from this story .

You proved me wrong 

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So you're not so much a generous soul and the personification of perfection, you'd do it because you'd have to by law.  Which is that country that legislates that an owner has to give a finder 10%?

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Where did he say that, particularly the 13 year-old bit?

Particularly mathematics said so, unless his grandson had his wedding at the age of ten.

The grandfather is 49. Lets say he got a kid by the age of 15. His kid got his own kid by the age of 15. Now this youngest kid (the grandson) is going to get married. Lets say he is 15 years old. That brings us to 45 (15+15+15). Split these remaining 4 years on these three 15 year olds and you'll have two 16 year olds and a 17 year old. It could be that this is the scenario, but it could also be that the 17 year old is 20 year old. Then you will have to take away a year or two on the 16 year olds. It could be one of them got a kid at the age of 22. Now take away some more years on the other two.

Who knows how old they actually were. All we know is either they all were quite young when they had their first kid, or one of them have had to be very young, or the article messed up with the grandfather's age, or the grandfather made up the story about his grandson's wedding.

Well done, you found something from this story to have a moan about
When I read this story, I thought to myself , no one will be able too see anything negative from this story .
   You proved me wrong 

I thought the same. Some people must just sit and wait for a new story to appear for something to complain about. Must be fun in their household.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived