Thai road carnage: A MILLION injuries and 24,000 deaths per year, official admits

rooster59

14 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

We got regulations, we got decent roads now, we got safer vehicles but the figures still keep getting worse and worse.

The problem lies squarely at the feet of the Thai drivers themselves. 

Re: Decent roads

Around here Kaengkhro the roads are narrow, treacherous and not maintained well/at all in some areas. 

Re: Safer vehicles

Again, around here, home-made vehicles are prevalent on the roads. Some of these "farm buggies" "trikes" lumber along at approx. 10-30 kph while the posted speed limit is 90kph. Add this to a narrow road, and avoidance of these slow home-made "things" is "nerve wracking." They lumber along w/out any apparent understanding of other vehicle operators. 

Also I've observed the typical motor-bike - again around here - goes so slow; far below the speed limit. And they refuse to use the shoulder of the road if one ever exists adding to the precarious driving conditions.

But just venting b/c I KNOW NOTHING will change - around here.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, mercman24 said:

WHAT HAPPENED to the not riding in the back of pick up trucks i'll tell ya, nothing, Thais arrive here at Jomtien beach weekends with 6 to 8 kids and adults crammed in the back of pick ups right in front of the toy town cops, not a word is said.

I'll tell you what happened - they have no money so are not worth stopping.

The numbers are highly debatable as Thailand has no recognised system for analysing crashes.

The international norm is to categorise into death, serious injuries and minor injuries. Thailand doesn't do this so the OP is baseless.

All debate on Thaivisa is based on death +er 100k ... Again this is only one way of looking a deaths but it ignores ALL other injuries. Then there are the usual queries as to who is included in these fatalities. Again largely based on myths about the police compilation of stats ... Basically this is the first clumsy attempt ive ever seen to include injuries as well as deaths.... But all in all just a baseless splatter of numbers to back up a drink drive perspective

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Expensive breathalyzers and speed cameras are not looked upon as tools to improve road safety. They are just revenue earners for both the government and the police. With the police deciding who gets what.

Around 1.53 billion baht to purchase 1,913 radar guns - real cost including shipping and duty, assuming they bought the top quality items, the cost would have been 60.4 million baht leaving a discrepancy of 1.47 billion baht for 'administration' and 'miscellaneous' fees.  (Figures from the Bangkok Post:  573 million baht for procurement of 849 hand-held speed guns and 957.6 million baht for the procurement of 1,064 units)  

https://www.radarguns.com/decatur-doppler-hand-held-traffic-radar-speed-gun.html

3 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

I agree with your statement to a point. I am Australian and in Australia when I get a stiff fine for driving 5km over the limit it feels like revenue raising but the anti drink driving campaigns are definitely about saving lives. Bottom line is, both methods have proven to be effective. Difference is, Thailand is in a lot of ways still a third world country, no matter how many shiny new apartment towers go up on Sukhumvit. 

Yes also an ozzie, although they use demerits the massive fines hurt lower income people far far more than upper, but hey the buro-rats who make up rules do so to justify their positions..

With these numbers out, how the hell do they justify the super small fines? Driving motorbike without license = 200thb and drive on! (I know, license or not is not the main issue, but it sets the tone).

Why they are not increasing the fines is baffling to the point that i would say that its maybe treasonous.. I cant explain it any other way than this is what they want, they want to kill the poor (most deaths happen when someone that can afford a car hits and kills someone that cant afford a car (motorbike)).

Crackdowns don't work they are useless...let's have some more crackdowns announced to appear to be doing something.

Increasing the difficulty of the license test does not nothing...you can buy a license at any testing station for a couple of thousand baht. Let's announce some more stringent testing to appear to be doing something.

Police stop and checks do nothing except enrich senior policemen....let's have more of them to appear to be doing something.

So what works?  Well how about enforcing the traffic laws that already exist. But that would require a police force whose job it was to enforce laws and we don't have functioning police force in Thailand.

Focus on the young....they are more likely to be involved. Set up checkpoints at schools, impound motorcycles of underaged, un-licensed, un-helmeted drivers carrying more than one passenger. Make parents pay a fine of 10,000 B to get the bike back. Note at the moment police don;t set up road blocks near schools because the children have very little money to pay fines/tea money. Fire any policeman who flouts the driving laws.

Start from this point and lets see how it goes. Try it in a few towns first if you like but make a start. Then use the evidence to inprove enforcement.

Second priority might be buses and minivans.

Third priority might be drunk drivers after dark (this would require the BiB to work after dark though and I know that most are scared of ghosts).

19 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

Honestly what Thai problem isn't directly related to the lack of law enforcement. Westerners are not much better than Thais. If we had no effective law enforcement in any Western country the roads would be almost as bad.

That’s just not true. Drink/drug driving is socially unacceptable in most western societies.

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Now, if Prayut was to switch this SHOCKER, in place of his Friday night TV ego-trip, he could finally claim to have done something of value. He's only had 40 months of total control . . . let's not be too harsh on the little man.

3 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Re: Decent roads

Around here Kaengkhro the roads are narrow, treacherous and not maintained well/at all in some areas. 

Re: Safer vehicles

Again, around here, home-made vehicles are prevalent on the roads. Some of these "farm buggies" "trikes" lumber along at approx. 10-30 kph while the posted speed limit is 90kph. Add this to a narrow road, and avoidance of these slow home-made "things" is "nerve wracking." They lumber along w/out any apparent understanding of other vehicle operators. 

Also I've observed the typical motor-bike - again around here - goes so slow; far below the speed limit. And they refuse to use the shoulder of the road if one ever exists adding to the precarious driving conditions.

But just venting b/c I KNOW NOTHING will change - around here.

You can do nothing about the state of the roads, but how about your 'home-made' vehicles, farm-buggies, etc; are we talking big numbers here, compared to the 'proper' vehicles that reap death and destruction on the larger, faster roads? Are these vehicles legal and, if not, is there no police presence to limit/stop the practice? Just interested in this detour from the main topic, if you can add more meat.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:27 PM, mercman24 said:

WHAT HAPPENED to the not riding in the back of pick up trucks i'll tell ya, nothing, Thais arrive here at Jomtien beach weekends with 6 to 8 kids and adults crammed in the back of pick ups right in front of the toy town cops, not a word is said.

The Ministry and its all-guns-blazing road-safety PR campaign, about a fortnight before Songkran, actually back-tracked, next day, on this proposed new law, because one of their number woke up and realised that the ban would make it difficult for farmers and others to get their workers to work - can you credit this ineptitude at Ministry level? - and would undermine the enjoyment of Songkran. How else would the half to well-pissed drivers and passengers be able to get about their business of killing themselves?

17 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

The reason why things will never change is simple :  Thai people know that they are not responsible for their actions because all that happens in their lives is pre-determined. Driving carefully (to their mind) will not prevent any accident, because the accident is predetermined.

If that was the case ,  why would any Thai loose face ? :stoner:

A comparison with other countries.  

Road Fatalities 2016

USA  37,461    (population 323.1 million) (Source WHO).            Death rate : 0.012% per capita

UK  1,792    (population 65.64 million)  (source: Dept of Transport).     Death rate:  0.0027% per capita

AUS  1,295  (population 24.13 million) (Source: Dept of Infrastructure).    Death rate : 0.0054% per capita

THAI 24,237 (population 68.86 million) (Source WHO - figure is for 2013, 2016 figures not available, but likely higher than 2013).   Death rate : 0.035% per capita

Not all figures are available for 2016, so here is a shortlist of road deaths for 2013 (Source WHO):

Nigeria:  43,332  (pop 186 million)  Death rate:  0.023% per capita

India :  207,551 (pop 1.324 billion)  Death rate:  0.016% per capita

China:   261,387 (pop 1.379 billion)  Death rate:  0.019% per capita

Cambodia:  3,120  (pop 15.76 million) Death rate:  0.0198% per capita

Ethiopia: 29,146 (pop 102.4 million)  Death rate:  0.028% per capita

France:  3,268 (pop 66.9 million)  Death rate:  0.0049% per capita

Ireland:  188 (pop 4.78 million)  Death rate:  0.0039% per capita

Singapore: 197 (pop 5.6 million)  Death rate:  0.0035% per capita

Libya:  4,500 (pop 6.196 million)  Death rate:  0.073% per capita

The above seems to confirm what the WHO and other analyses state, though I have done the calculations myself as some of these analyses are not reliable.  It would appear that Libya is worse than Thailand in terms of road deaths per capita, though the population of Libya is small and likely getting smaller.  They were also at war during the years these figures were collected, so cannot be 100% reliable (some deaths may have been lumped together with land mines, shootings, unexploded ordinance, etc).  In addition, very few people go there either on holiday or for business, so the risk is mitigated.

All in all, we have to conclude Thailand poses the greatest risk of being killed in a road traffic accident nearly two orders of magnitude greater than Europe or Australia.  Singapore is on a par with Europe in terms of road safety, and Cambodia is not as bad as people think - maybe as a result of smaller population/less traffic.

So why is the rate of road deaths nearly 100 times higher than Europe?  I leave it to you to figure that one out.

4 minutes ago, Frotting said:

Road Fatalities 2016

USA  37,461    (population 323.1 million) (Source WHO).            Death rate : 0.012% per capita

UK  1,792    (population 65.64 million)  (source: Dept of Transport).     Death rate:  0.0027% per capita

AUS  1,295  (population 24.13 million) (Source: Dept of Infrastructure).    Death rate : 0.0054% per capita

THAI 24,237 (population 68.86 million) (Source WHO - figure is for 2013, 2016 figures not available, but likely higher than 2013).   Death rate : 0.035% per capita

Not all figures are available for 2016, so here is a shortlist of road deaths for 2013 (Source WHO):

The above seems to confirm what the WHO and other analyses state, though I have done the calculations myself as some of these analyses are not reliable.  It would appear that Libya is worse than Thailand in terms of road deaths per capita, though the population of Libya is small and likely getting smaller.  They were also at war during the years these figures were collected, so cannot be 100% reliable (some deaths may have been lumped together with land mines, shootings, unexploded ordinance, etc).  In addition, very few people go there either on holiday or for business, so the risk is mitigated.

All in all, we have to conclude Thailand poses the greatest risk of being killed in a road traffic accident nearly two orders of magnitude greater than Europe or Australia.  Singapore is on a par with Europe in terms of road safety, and Cambodia is not as bad as people think - maybe as a result of smaller population/less traffic.

So why is the rate of road deaths nearly 100 times higher than Europe?  I leave it to you to figure that one out.

Simple answer is Thais have no patience and no idea how to drive

36 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

80% of fatalities on the roads in Thailand are "vulnerable" road users, this includes mainly motorbikes but also pedestrians and cyclists.

If you aren't in this category then your chances of being killed are about the same as in the USA.

All i will say is that when you drive in Thailand you need "eyes in the back of your head" and be a good guess what the idiots are going to do in front of you. Believe me i have seen things that i thought i would never see a driver do, Like the clown who came down the wrong side of the road and expected me to get out of his way. I did because he was not going to stop and when i got out his way i nearly hit the car that was speeding on the inside lane When i checked my mirrors to go across nothing there. Soon as i started to cross to get out of the clowns way he was there. God he was moving. I broke into a cold sweat believe me.

I pulled over to the side of the road to calm down and i be honest i never felt road rage before but i wanted to chase after idiot going down the wrong side of the road stop him and hit him.Went home had a few whiskies to calm me down

12 minutes ago, Frotting said:

Road Fatalities 2016

Interesting figures that tell the full story, re the good doctor's too-little-too-late initiative. For him, presumably an intelligent Thai, to think that his procession around some Bangkok streets will make the slightest difference to the upcoming Loy Kratong road deaths, simply beggars belief. How can these so-called authoritative people be so far away from reality? If only this superb chart could be blown-up to poster size and plastered onto the breakfast bar and toilet walls of everyone in this toothless Junta machine, hopefully to make them feel utterly ashamed to be a part of it, as they Merc-glide their way to 'work' each day.

22 minutes ago, Frotting said:

Road Fatalities 2016

As fun as it is to claim we live in the 2nd most dangerous country for road deaths (especially when attempting to inspire awe in the folks back home), the 2nd column on this link shows that's largely due to the high number of motor vehicles in Thailand- the majority being 2 wheelers.  The per-capita number is high, but the per vehicle number is actually pretty mundane by developing world standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

And I'd contend, the best number to use is the rate per billion km driven, but Thailand doesn't report that.  That's the acid test- how dangerous is it for me to get in a vehicle and go a km.

I find it astonishing that the BiB and school authorities think it OK that under age, unlicensed kids can use a motorised vehicle to go to school.

Plus, if they have an accident they look for someone to blame, especially if they have insurance..

Some things in this place are ass upwards...sad-face.gif.8a348e4ca41c3616d53b87e242bf2acb.gif

All the vehicle/traffic promises, all the talk on national TV, all the bans, all the new laws and goals set by this government has meant absolutely nothing other than a paycheck for themselves and a big face, nothing else. Completely incompetent and useless people for the rest in Thailand. 

What's even worse, is that here in Udon for some dumb reason, main roads with terrible conditions they do nothing about while roads that actually are good they get the idea of replacing it with a new but extremely bumpy roads that you need to use a helmet in the car. Just a couple of weeks later these roads are filled with nasty and large potholes, such as on the main road to Khon Kaen. They've been repairing a 30-meter stretch non-stop for over a month now and they got like 4-5 km left. 

What baffles me even more is how this nation funds roads, especially in villages and small cities. Its all up to the local government and their dumb reasoning. They build these same crappy roads every year or two that will already be broken within a few days. Why not leave this to the government of the provinces instead. Take more time, save up and build quality roads. Will be much less maintenance if ground is prepared correctly and the asphalt is laid good, and in the long run it will be cheaper as well as, not to mention for the general public, as traffic flows better, less accidents, greater business flow... and so much more...

... and get these 5 year olds off the roads. No one that young should ever drive anything on public roads. Maybe these old bikers that never look in their mirrors should be taken off as well. And please start making it not just illegal to drive to fast, but whats worse and are at leased just as hazard in Thailand are the damn slow drivers. Drives in 30-50 in 80 zones and creates dangerous situations for everyone else. AND yeah, make it illegal to park in corners, like come on, how on earth can these people not think understand common sense. I could go on and on about this... 

On 10/28/2017 at 12:27 PM, mercman24 said:

It's laughable and the government had 3 years to strike down and reverse these simpletons into civilized humans. No bother we like a numbers cull. They look at it this way. People of worth don't behave like idiots. Therefore we are winning. Let them be.

Mai Pen Rai

Archived