Non Immigrant O "Retired" - Single Entry - Savannakhet, Laos

As the cliche goes: "Someone told me" - that he applied for a Non Immigrant O visa as Retired (single entry) at the Thai Embassy in Savannakhet, Laos.

He said that they demanded to see his Police Record and a Health Certificate also. (As one needs to apply for Non Immigrant O-A)

It was not only him. Others there had the same problem and did not get their Non Immigrant O visa. They had to apply for a Tourist Visa. 

The embassy`s web page says nothing about these documents being required for this visa and it sounds like some official made a mistake or there was a misunderstanding.

Or are there some new rules there we need to know about?

Hope someone has applied for this visa there recently and can enlighten me on this subject :)

• Like 1

There have been reports of the embassy in Vientiane wanting the medical and police clearance for a non-o visa.

Perhaps the consulate in Savannakhet are wanting it now. This is the first mention of it I have seen.

Any chance there is confusion between the 2 locations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrunkAdvice said:

Do you have any links or copies of reports I can see about this Ubonjoe?

I don't keep any copies or links to posts.

There has been more than one and I have been telling people to go to Savannakhet or apply at their local office for some time now.

As you can see in the screenshot you posted Savannakhet want proof you are retired if only using the money in the bank option. They accept a income letter for that proof. They have also asked people for a bank book or statement with some money in the account when they have income letter showing 65k baht or more of income.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information.

I found this from the thai embassy in Vientiane, that shows clearly that they now want criminal background checks and a medical certificate for Non Immigrant O "Retired" visa. (Google translate though...)

Wonder if other embassies will adapt the same practice..  

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/th/consular/visa.php 

Vientiane.jpg

Yeah. That leads to a lot of confusion. 

As I understand it, you can only apply for a Non Immigrant O-A visa at the thai embassy in the country you are from and it gives you a 1 year stay?

If so, it looks like they are mixing up the demands for the two visas in Vientiane.

3 minutes ago, DrunkAdvice said:

As I understand it, you can only apply for a Non Immigrant O-A visa at the thai embassy in the country you are from and it gives you a 1 year stay?

Correct and most embassies and official consulate in your home country will not issue a non-o visa for being 50 or over.

3 minutes ago, DrunkAdvice said:

If so, it looks like they are mixing up the demands for the two visas in Vientiane.

Either that or they are doing it to keep people from applying for the single entry non-o visa there.

• Like 1

Good to know.

In Norway the thai embassy issues a Non Immigrant O "Retired" visa for people older than 50. But we have to show an income from social security. (Both single and multiple entry.)

They even issue this for people under 50 as exceptions, if you can show an income from social security above the demands.

But I don`t think many other countries have the same social security payouts as we have in Norway o.O