Honda hopes to build PCX Electric bike in Thailand

webfact

Honda hopes to build PCX Electric bike in Thailand

By Wasamon Audjarint 
The Nation 
Tokyo, Japan 

118f3e8fd6ee145702651f7ef1d2d354-sld.jpe

Honda Motor President and CEO Takahiro Hachigo with Honda Riding Assist-e, the company’s latest unique balance control technology debuted during 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017 last Wednesday.

Government asked to change rules to pave way

AP Honda has sought cooperation with Thai authorities in a move to market the PCX Electric, Honda Motor’s latest electrically powered motorcycle, in the Kingdom and is set to announce updates this January.

While Thailand, already a manufacturing hub, has potential to produce PCX Electric, their sales would need to be permitted by not-yet-existing regulations on electrical safety in Thailand, said AP Honda president Yoichi Mizutani.

Honda and related entrepreneurs are proposing that Thailand adopt UNR 136, an international standard on electricvehicle safety – which includes guidelines from prevention of electric leaking to battery recycling – as well as develop supportive infrastructures, Mizutani said.

This is also to keep up with Honda’s plan to sell PCX Electric globally by next year, he said.

cff2bb0fd91c8147b3cb67325435a1ba.jpg

Honda Motor chief officer of motorcycle operations Noriaki Abe, Honda Motor President and CEO Takahiro Hachigo  and AP Honda President Yoichi Mizutani during  a press briefing 

Noriaki Abe, Honda Motor chief officer of motorcycle operations, admitted that electric motorcycles are likely to face challenges, such as relatively higher prices, performance levels in comparison with petrolrun engines, and lack of supportive infrastructure in several Asian countries where Honda is working to introduce the PCX.

For this year, AP Honda has already reached its goal of selling 1.47 million domestic motorcycles, accounting for 79 per cent of market share. Its production toll, for both internal and external markets, is 1.85 million units, or around an increase of 4 per cent year-on-year.

The PCX Electric was unveiled at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017 last Wednesday, together with the technologically-advanced PCX Hybrid and Riding Assist-e.

Honda Motor President and CEO Takahiro Hachigo said that the two-battery, eco-friendly PCX Electric is a part of Honda’s goal to increase production of electrified vehicles to two-thirds of all vehicle productions by 2030 as their contribution to realising a low-carbon society.

Both PCX Electric and PCX Hybrid were developed based on the PCX Scooter model.

Enhanced with an internal combustion and electric motor hybrid, PCX Hybrid also comes with the new weight-balancing frame body and improved acceleration system, all promised at an affordable price.

c5121c5c5932599f334a9811b5f117da.jpg

Honda PCX Hybrid

Riding Assist-e, meanwhile, is equipped with a unique balance control technology developed from ASIMO, Honda’s iconic humanoid robot. When driven at low speed, the 700cc, electrically run prototype will be able to balance itself, easing driving efforts.

6aafb9fd0a9a342d845e32f41b1e9362.jpg

Honda Riding Assist-e

Honda also introduced other recently developed motorcycle models with features ranging from sophisticated designs to prominent technologies.

The Gold Wing, first launched in 1975, now comes with a six-stroke engine, DCT 7-speed and double wishbone suspension. Its 1800cc engine will save more 20 per cent of petrol compared with the previous version. Its telescopic shock absorber will ensure a smooth ride while maintaining a sporty atmosphere.

3f0630b4fb0ab6c60fc13496fd1b6825.jpg

Honda Gold Wing

The Neo Sports Cafe Concept was also introduced with a blend of sporty touch and retro atmosphere inspired by European cafe diners of the 1970s.

14159df2f707fc431cb87bfa4eaea3c3.jpg

Honda Neo Sports Cafe Concept

The Super Cub series, having reached 100 million units in global production, also presents the Super Cub 110, Cross Cub 110 equipped with bigger wheels, and Super Cub C125 models, equipped with a smart key, antilock braking system and electric motorcycle seats.

All new Super Cub models maintain designs to reflect comfortable urban recreational lifestyles,  just as the first models in the series did 60 years ago.

The series, particularly successful in Vietnam, are also popular among Thais. They were first manufactured in the Kingdom in 1967, nine years after they were introduced. Thailand was also the first manufacturing base for Super Cub models outside Japan.

e9b6c97664e5b48593ff6544baec72f4.jpg3a70ae162383ecb54fd949ae024bb7fe.jpgdbfb9925bc68c9e883bd90088e070394.jpg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30330335

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation Full story:

A near silent motorcycle? A commercial disaster in a land where so many young men value their ego on the raucous output of their iron steeds. The suggestion that their scooters' decibel level is in inverse proportion to a combination of intellect and ground tackle is not without merit.

A near silent motorcycle? A commercial disaster in a land where so many young men value their ego on the raucous output of their iron steeds. The suggestion that their scooters' decibel level is in inverse proportion to a combination of intellect and ground tackle is not without merit.

You're talking about young men. You're an old man. Are you implying that as a young man you never lusted after noisy motor bikes and cars? Don't believe you!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Yawn!!

Yes I am an old man too and already feel sorry for kids, with their smartphones glued to their hands, boring corporate manufactured music (videos) and films, so with the arrival of "Torchy" battery bikes, what's left?

Not sure the UK leaving the EU will make much difference in terms of Independence, we are already remote controlled sheep.

Never has the lyric "I hope I die before I get old" been more appropriate.

I will end my rant on a note of optimism...."obesity". As Asians are getting fatter, they will have to start making bigger bikes..... that will fit farangs....:post-4641-1156694572:

PS. Don't worry I am not going to get into a protracted argument with you young "go-aheads", I will just leave you to get wet dreaming about this " new technology"......just don't come running to me when you can't get through to the Samaritans. :sad:

7 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

While an electric bike would cover most of my daily transport needs, I live in a condo. Where would I plug it in? I can't see the condo management shelling out for charging points.

So, thanks, but no thanks.

i think the new line up looks good        just the one quote   sales would need to be permitted by not-yet-existing regulations on electrical safety in Thailand, said AP Honda president Yoichi Mizutani.  i really dont think this problem will arise in the next (approx) ten   years

suggest you contact Honda Thailand  and get their take on your question 

Young guys eat shit, drink shit and listen to shit on the TV/radio, they ride way too fast and kill themselves.

Us old guys, who have survived to become old guys..... have learned.

We have seen all this crap before, from the Sinclair (Mensa member) C5 turd, to these CEOs saying and doing what they are told to do. It was all <deleted> back then and still is.

They have had 60 years to develop something decent with a battery and the best they have come up with so far is a milk float. 59fc2e72e591c_milkflaot.jpg.1b6529cfc9a1299aadcaf4336e018dd3.jpg

Now we are told it will all happen soon. Abracadabra........

• 2 weeks later...

Archived