Qatar Airways Launches New Doha to Pattaya, Chiang Mai Flights

Jonathan Fairfield

the 331 from sukumvit road/ Queen Sirikit to the airport is being widen at the moment, so 15 minutes from the airport on the 331 all 2 lane, will take you to the new 331/ 7 road junction and then into south or north pattaya,  no need for sukumvit road

17 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the 331 from sukumvit road/ Queen Sirikit to the airport is being widen at the moment, so 15 minutes from the airport on the 331 all 2 lane, will take you to the new 331/ 7 road junction and then into south or north pattaya,  no need for sukumvit road

Doesn't 331 stay East of Hwy 7?

16 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Why the you know what would anyone want to fly to the U.S. via the Middle East? it's in the wrong direction, would you like me to show you a world map? 

Yes, please. I am bit poor in geography :biggrin:

Show me the great circle distance ("bee-line") from Bangkok to New York :smile:

East coast is slightly closer westward (by theory).

Sure, the fastest connections go via Japan and Korea (from Bangkok outbound).

That's because the Middle East is a big deviation to the south from the best route (which would go close over the north pole) and not "wrong direction".

But the differences in total travel time are in the 2 to 3 hour range.

And then aspects like value for money will decide.

Part of the differences being the connection time.

50 minutes at Tokyo airport with ANA :whistling: (19:10 hours BKK - JFK).

And shortest total flight time from JFK to BKK:

Emirates via Dubai, 19:35 hours.

So if price doesn't matter, do a round the world eastward :smile:

For the theory, great-circle (distance) Bangkok New York.

bkknyc.jpg

"Theory": the distance 13900 km would be no problem for a non-stop flight close to the ideal route.

But obviously there is no market.

Thai Airways failed with their New York and Los Angeles nonstops (around 2005 or so).

Bangkok - New York on the "virtual globe":

bkknycearth.jpg

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

7 crosses over 331 somewhere south and east of Silverlake turn off.

...or to the north and west but relatively close either way.

duel carriageway 331 crosses the 36, then just before silver lakes is the 7 road junction, 331  then crosses the 332( turning left onto 332 would take you to sukhumvit and the new end of the 7 road) 331 still still duel carriageway continues to sukhumvit/Queen Sirikit hospital, it then goes straight across and about3 kilos to the airport turn ( maybe still the 331 or maybe another number) this road is being widened. 

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

7 crosses over 331 somewhere south and east of Silverlake turn off.

...or to the north and west but relatively close either way.

I have been avoiding that area and all the construction for many years and am not familiar with it nowadays. I guess you are talking of the 'extension' to Hwy 7 then? I just know it as swinging west after crossing Hwy 36 to T-junction with Sukhumvit between Klang and Nua, and 331 never coming within 5Km of 331.

Has there been any improvement of the junction of Hwy 36/331 for SE bound traffic? I recall there was actually no junction in that direction and a dangerous U-Turn on 36 was required.  Missed it once and was nearly in Rayong.

Archived