Public informers get 55,000 baht in first month for reporting footpath violations

webfact

Public informers get 55,000 baht in first month for reporting footpath violations

3am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority have given figures on the success of the first month of the public reporting motorcyclists and others for incorrect use of the capital's footpaths.

For October a total of 55,750 baht was given to 171 informers. This amounted to about 321 baht per person. It was previously announced that informers would get half of the fine.

Some 69 informers were yet to go and get their rewards for being grasses.

While 17 said they didn't want any money - doing their bit to stop motorcyclists and drivers snarling up the sidewalks was reward enough.

Manager reported that there were a total of 257 successful prosecutions.

Many more were reported but these did not result in fines or were handled by the police themselves or other authorities.

The public were urged to keep up the good work and were reminded that reports could be lodged on the Line application, by email, on Facebook, by letter, by phone or in person.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-31

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Another step downward. One of the key tools of any dictatorship is fear. But fear of the government is one thing…fear of being informed on by one’s fellow citizens is much more powerful.

Step upward in my book. The fear of being reported is what keeps a civilized country in law and order. Police in civilized countries relies heavily on calls and tips from the public.

What is important is that the laws make sense... I dont like people being punished for victimless crimes like consuming cannabis for example...

Another step downward. One of the key tools of any dictatorship is fear. But fear of the government is one thing…fear of being informed on by one’s fellow citizens is much more powerful.
Most expats here will try to find a negative in anything. If you're fearful you know where Suvarnabhumi is, no fear they won't stop you leaving.

18 minutes ago, hobz said:

Step upward in my book. The fear of being reported is what keeps a civilized country in law and order

These are not ‘helpful citizen’ tips. These are people being paid to point fingers. There's a difference. Why stop at sidewalk violations?  Why not offer cash for any reported violation? Why not pay police by how many arrests they make? This is not a positive direction.

18 minutes ago, hobz said:

What is important is that the laws make sense...

And what if the laws don't make sense? Procedure and precedence matter. Maybe this application is a good one, but that does not guarantee the next one will be. I could see something like this becoming abused by authorities. 

44 minutes ago, hobz said:

Step upward in my book. The fear of being reported is what keeps a civilized country in law and order. Police in civilized countries relies heavily on calls and tips from the public.

What is important is that the laws make sense... I dont like people being punished for victimless crimes like consuming cannabis for example...

Upward? What civilized society is doing is helping the law enforcement without rewards.

Rewarding citizen's arrests with money is actually illegal, because you'll be sort of an extension of the police without any authorization. Reporting a crime is different, but has to be carried out with integrity and carefully. The #metoo is a perfect example of how men can be accused of sexual abuse without any evidence. Let it be clear that I do not condone any (sexual) abuse, but being accused without legal evidence is the same as a witch hunt.

46 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Most expats here will try to find a negative in anything. If you're fearful you know where Suvarnabhumi is, no fear they won't stop you leaving.

Can't expats not vent their opinion without having to leave? It's people, who think like you should leave. I agree with Hayduke. Fear is a powerful tool for governments to control society. Same happened during WW II. Thousands of Jewish people were captured, because their neighbours betrayed them. Never read the bible about how Judas betrayed Jesus? 

46 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Something very wrong about this scheme - grubby and very divisive to the local community. It's an  unhealthy society that encourages and rewards public to inform on neighbours and other fellow citizens. Disturbing values.

Disagree. The most effective and popular police forces are those, like the UK, that rely on community policing. Police officers rely on the public to call them or give them information as they cannot be everywhere at once. And they need the support of the public when they are enforcing the law, not being attacked or criticised. 

Nothing worse than women or children being abused in their homes and neighbours "not wanting to interfere" until it's too late.

If the public in Thailand need a little bit of incentive, not having been brought up with this concept, then that's OK. Heartening to see some people refusing the reward as they are acting for the good of society, not for money.

Cr*p - all police forces have informers, just like most civilized nations have CCTV. What are you afraid of?

i agree with you for the most part...but this is a real safety hazard for the people who wish to use the pathway...as it is intended...if the police will not do their job without public shaming...the it's appropriate to shame them...the people who drive on the sidewalk/pavement as just a$$holes...with no respect for their fellow citizens...

59 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Why can't expats have negative views?

1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Something very wrong about this scheme - grubby and very divisive to the local community. It's an  unhealthy society that encourages and rewards public to inform on neighbours and other fellow citizens. Disturbing values.

Cr*p - say that when kids are knocked down by idiotic speeding motorcyclists on the sidewalk. It's those idiotic motorcyclists that are creating an unhealthy environment - a danger to children, the disabled, elderly people and ME!. Go on....

Can't expats not vent their opinion without having to leave? It's people, who think like you should leave. I agree with Hayduke. Fear is a powerful tool for governments to control society. Same happened during WW II. Thousands of Jewish people were captured, because their neighbours betrayed them. Never read the bible about how Judas betrayed Jesus? 
You are now comparing Mototaxi fines to killing jews?

What are you drinking?

Why on earth would you stay here when your predicting some type of apocalypse

51 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

These are not ‘helpful citizen’ tips. These are people being paid to point fingers. There's a difference. Why stop at sidewalk violations?  Why not offer cash for any reported violation? Why not pay police by how many arrests they make? This is not a positive direction.

Can't you read? Most of the reporters didn't want money, and neither will I when I next report an idiotic speeding motorcyclist on the sidewalk. I'm onto them.

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

You are now comparing Mototaxi fines to killing jews?

What are you drinking?

Why on earth would you stay here when your predicting some type of apocalypse

It's about the principle. But hey it's fine if you don't get my drift. Enjoy your life in in a dictatorship.

It's about the principle. But hey it's fine if you don't get my drift. Enjoy your life in in a dictatorship.

What do you think happens in the West when the police offer rewards to the public to apprehend criminals? Thousands of tips = finger pointing

Roaring down footpaths is a crime.

Your so stressed out, you hate it here and can't think straight

Love how a simple article about informants can get a thread of farangs coming up with the same old 'go home if you don't like it here'. This is heaven on earth and everything about the place we chose as home is perfect. how dare you say one thing negative about the place then you know where the airport is! you don't understand thailand. Go home!! 555 TVF, funny place

opinion?? you left your right to an opinion the moment you stepped foot outside of your country of birth now f*** off back there, it's farangs like that you give us perfect farangs a bad name ; ) 555 rant over

Love how a simple article about informants can get a thread of farangs coming up with the same old 'go home if you don't like it here'. This is heaven on earth and everything about the place we chose as home is perfect. how dare you say one thing negative about the place then you know where the airport is! you don't understand thailand. Go home!! 555 TVF, funny place
opinion?? you left your right to an opinion the moment you stepped foot outside of your country of birth now f*** off back there, it's farangs like that you give us perfect farangs a bad name ; ) 555 rant over
"how dare you say one thing negative about the place"

Nonsense, these boards are 90 % bashing. You will struggle to find any positives.

So so many desperately unhappy I'm genuinely curious to know what's the attraction here? Oops of course we know what the attraction is lol

1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Tell that to the government. Doesn't seem to raise hackles when LM is involved; and righteous citizens are very enthusiastic about reporting 'perceived' violations of that law.

Archived