Public informers get 55,000 baht in first month for reporting footpath violations

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Another step downward. One of the key tools of any dictatorship is fear. But fear of the government is one thing…fear of being informed on by one’s fellow citizens is much more powerful.

Not to sure if you're in favour or not? One thing is for sure = the bib are doing SFA about the problem.

Negative?  Fearful?  Not sure about that.  Personally I do not fear the police since, like most expats, I abide by the law.  HOWEVER... Turning in your neighbor to authorities for a few measly baht is ten steps backwards for any free society.  Definitely the wrong approach to fixing minor infractions. How about hiring an effective POLICE force to enforce safety and traffic laws!!!!  
You mean like the cops in the West paying bigger sums to catch criminals?

Are the tipsters not turning on their "neighbors ' for also breaking the law?

Not enough police in the whole of Asia to catch millions of motor bike law breakers. Just one life saved more than worth it especially if it's yours eh?

I applaud the public and especially those that refused money

14 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Another step downward. One of the key tools of any dictatorship is fear. But fear of the government is one thing…fear of being informed on by one’s fellow citizens is much more powerful.

Hopefully it will make people fearful about riding their motorbikes on the pathway

This is the thing we all seen the roads are so dangerous here Threads. And now something is being done about it so many people are moaning about it. OK it would be better to educate the locals or make the police do there job but we all know this ant going to happen. So if it saves life's its a good thing. I challenge any of the moaners to come up with another ideal which will actually work or happen. And comparing it to 1984 is just ridiculous. I mean are the thought police going to take you away for speaking out against it lol. Maybe you can all stand up and start shouting at you vid screen for the 5 mins of hate against people trying to fix the roads and save a few life's to boot.Double plus good if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

Dont you think that law abiding members of society should inform the Police about law breakers ?

Yes, out of civic duty and not out of greed.

It's bad enough that the Thai police have an alleged corrupt reputation for bribes. Paid informants for misdemeanors just further empowers police to corrupt collusion.

Just now, Srikcir said:

Yes, out of civic duty and not out of greed.

It's bad enough that the Thai police have an alleged corrupt reputation for bribes. Paid informants for misdemeanors just further empowers police to corrupt collusion.

I do think that it takes the money away from the Police and gives it to the people.

A person breaks the law , gets fined and the money goes to the person who detected the offence.

Sounds fair enough to me

On 10/31/2017 at 11:52 AM, Ossy said:

Too right, crazy as it sounds. Let's not have an invisible, ineffective and inept police force . . . just a special, 'quick-service' desk at the local Amphoes for dash-cam verifying; the officer, there, passes evidence to Court prosecutor's office and Bob's your uncle. Great idea, Hobz. Oh-oh, just spotted a snag. What if the Amphoe guy can't be trusted . . . he'll be in for shed-loads of brownies.

Well, let's not have a justice system at all then, because what if it can't be trusted? 

On 10/31/2017 at 9:23 AM, chinostar said:

Upward? What civilized society is doing is helping the law enforcement without rewards.

Rewarding citizen's arrests with money is actually illegal, because you'll be sort of an extension of the police without any authorization. Reporting a crime is different, but has to be carried out with integrity and carefully. The #metoo is a perfect example of how men can be accused of sexual abuse without any evidence. Let it be clear that I do not condone any (sexual) abuse, but being accused without legal evidence is the same as a witch hunt.

You have some good points. It's clearly not easy. And there will always be downsides. And yes, having a monetary incentive for people to report each other is vastly different from civilized countries where civilians report without monetary incentive... I stand corrected!

On 10/31/2017 at 9:00 AM, wlcart said:

And what if the laws don't make sense? Procedure and precedence matter. Maybe this application is a good one, but that does not guarantee the next one will be. I could see something like this becoming abused by authorities. 

Democracy 

On 10/31/2017 at 8:48 AM, Hayduke said:

These are not ‘helpful citizen’ tips. These are people being paid to point fingers. There's a difference. Why stop at sidewalk violations?  Why not offer cash for any reported violation? Why not pay police by how many arrests they make? This is not a positive direction.

I stand corrected. Yes, the money involved makes it pretty bad.

Archived