Informing Immigration Of Intentional Overstay.

My 3 months of entry on arrival are up on Jan 23. My pasport expires Jan 22. The embassy can process the new passport in 14 days. This means I will be on overstay for about 5-6 days.

Can I go to immigration an show them that the new passport in being processed and that I will be overstaying for 5-6 days. Meaning paying the fees, but not being arrested.

Will a Thai consulate grant a tourist visa after seeing the overstay stamp on a new passport?

BR

My 3 months of entry on arrival are up on Jan 23. My pasport expires Jan 22. The embassy can process the new passport in 14 days. This means I will be on overstay for about 5-6 days.

Can I go to immigration an show them that the new passport in being processed and that I will be overstaying for 5-6 days. Meaning paying the fees, but not being arrested.

Will a Thai consulate grant a tourist visa after seeing the overstay stamp on a new passport?

BR

Hello BR,

You are a member of TV for over 3(!) years?? When did you actually visit this side the last time???

If I remember right you need a min. 1/2 year valid passport to obtain any kind of visa..., so, how could you get a VOA beyond the validity of your passport????..., Troll?????

Edited by Patex

BR

Yes and just check the yes question on the application form.

The occasional short overstay is quite common. It's the long time habitual overstays that will raise eyebrows.

That's when you need a new passport! :o

BR

Pay them 3,000 Baht for overstay and get a new visa. end of story.

By trying to do things in advance, you may well provide them with a situation for which they have no precedent. In which case, they'll avoid taking any decision and ask you to come back when you have the new passport.

Why not just step over the border and get a 30-day VOA and then get a new passport?

By trying to do things in advance, you may well provide them with a situation for which they have no precedent. In which case, they'll avoid taking any decision and ask you to come back when you have the new passport.

Why not just step over the border and get a 30-day VOA and then get a new passport?

That wouldn't work. What was I thinking?

To be honest, no.I made a mistake regarding my return ticket a couple of years ago, went to immigration at Don Muang to explain rather than get into trouble and was told to go back to the city, sort my ticket out and pay the overstay when I left. I tried to persue the matter further asking what I could do if the local Police picked me up for whatever reason and was given dark looks and menacing mutterings. I smiled, thanked them for their time and made my exit. Pay when you leave and keep your head down in the meantime.

If informing immagration before hand that you will overstay, is there any benefit or is it not wise to do so?

no idea, i avoid being overstay like i avoid the plague .................................

me too ! :o

If you are still in possession of your old passport, is there any reason why you can't saunter down to your local immigration office and get a seven day extension?

I was offered this option here in Pattaya on my first (and only) overstay just last week - I was in fact already over the line by one day, and was told by immigration that a seven day extension was still option (2k baht fee, of course). This was the end of my first 90 days of a one year multi-O, btw.

Since I was only three days overstay by the time I did the visa run to Cambo, I just opted to lay low until the bus left - but it was nice to know that getting "legal" was an option.

BR

If I could be bothered I would inform them first. Otherwise I would just wait for the new passport and the make a trip to Laos or Malay or wherever you intend to get your new visa.

Will a Thai consulate grant a tourist visa after seeing the overstay stamp on a new passport? - Yes Of Course!! It's all about the moolah...

Just to ease your fears a bit, in the last three years I have overstayed more than 5 times for a total of more than 80 days, the last time being 57 days(had a trip back home planned but had to cancel due to work). If you're a disorganized (somewhat lazy) bloke like me then you probably fit in well in thailand and don't have too many dramas with the 'thai way :o ,' that said I went up to Laos on the 31st, went to pay my fine (stuck 20,000 in the passport and told the guy sheepishly in Thai that I had overstayed - just little bit) he had a laugh but when he realized how long he sent me into the office. Now this is what might be relevant to you. The immigration guy who takes the money told me that the Thai consulate in Laos wouldn't be open for another 3 days (yes i went on new years - stupid). I didn't really want to stay in VienJan for 3 extra days doing nothing so I considered heading back to bkk and then back up to Laos on the 3rd, now when I asked him if that was ok he said no problem (keep in mind I had already overstayed 57 days and was yet to pay my fine). So I went back to have a smoke and think about it and decided to get it over with.

Anyway in the end I ended up paying the fine (20,000 - I expected 28,500) and had an awesome few days in Vienjan.

My advice is be polite. Don't go there feeling like you've done something wrong & have a guilty look on your face, I can imagine these people who 'avoid overstay like the plague' if the day does come when they actually do overstay they would have a guilty look like they were running drugs or something. Have a joke, tell them you're stupid and you thought the date on your passport said 2070 or something.

If you are still unsure give sunbelt a call, they are very helpful.

Sorry a little off topic but just wanted to say my piece about overstaying..

On another note has anyone heard of someone being arrested for overstay? What's the process? Is there a maximum amount of days you can overstay before being refused re-entry? Checking the Aussie immi site if you overstay more than 28 days you're banned for 3 years...

Thankyou Drenoi and Guvstah for your direct answers.

Once I have the receipt from the us embassy that the passport has been applied for I will go to immigration and ask for assistance for a 7 -10 day extension - or something.

By the way, for some of the jerks at the beginning of the post, I have never ovestayed in the past ten years.

Drenoi and Guvstah, thanks for your kind input.

BR