homeschooling

ArranP

I had to learn at least something before teaching my daughter because I knew nothing of how to do it.

The exercisae was to re-write the short story from 3rd to 1st person singular, I didn't know what that meant, I had to look it up. 

Also the exercise was to re-write the short story, so had to look up how to write short stories. 

14 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

I am guessing you meant using different pronouns as opposed to "changing of nouns"?

If all you had to do was re-write the story, how did you learn about "writing short stories using an outline, characters, list of short phrases to sequence events in the story, choosing a title for the story and then developing the story into sentences choosing either 1st 2nd or 3rd POV."?

Lastly, you said that you had to re-write it from the 1st to 3rd person, so why would you even consider using the 2nd person?

I had to learn at least something before teaching my daughter because I knew nothing of how to do it.

The exercisae was to re-write the short story from 3rd to 1st person singular, I didn't know what that meant, I had to look it up. 

Also the exercise was to re-write the short story, so had to look up how to write short stories. 

This week in our homeschooling:

My Daughter learned to distinguish Common and Proper Nouns in English, continued with her Roman Invasion of Briton in History, Science looked at dry and wet habitats, Geography learned how O/S map symbols make maps easier to read.

My Son continued his learning of single digit addition ( quite a good game here to learn base 10, its called fruit splat place value ) and phonic reading the free e-books on the Oxford Owl website.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:03 PM, ArranP said:

This week in our homeschooling:

My Daughter learned to distinguish Common and Proper Nouns in English, continued with her Roman Invasion of Briton in History, Science looked at dry and wet habitats, Geography learned how O/S map symbols make maps easier to read.

My Son continued his learning of single digit addition ( quite a good game here to learn base 10, its called fruit splat place value ) and phonic reading the free e-books on the Oxford Owl website.

Have you given Monopoly a try?  We played it 50 years ago, and I noticed they still play it at some language schools.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 4:13 PM, BuddyDean said:

Have you given Monopoly a try?  We played it 50 years ago, and I noticed they still play it at some language schools.

No yet, but we do the Frog Jump Up Method at the cashier til.

My daughter has decided for the time being to stay with her mother because her initial views are that she does not like home schooling. 

I have let her go because she will need to experience living with her mother and then decide for herself which she prefers.  The alternative is I am forever being blamed,  "Daddy why did you not let me ....." .

Having your parent in all the main aspects of your life, i.e school time, home time, weekend time, can be overwhelming from your childs perspective. If your child has spent several years in main-stream school, from their perspective it will be a BIG change.  All their stimulas will be coming from, mostly one person.

It is important for your child to have social time when children can play together.

Hi xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email, it is Interesting to know people are interested in the same as I.

I have 4 children in all, but only the 2 eldest live with me.

There are many videos on YouTube, home schooling ranges from un-schooling to following a structured curriculum.  Un-schooling is following the childs desire to play, take the things they show interest in and extend on.  Following a structured curriculum is where the lesson plans and course content are provided to you in a bundle which you pay for.

I opted for the Cambridge structured curriculum, the same curriculum that is taught in the international schools.  Curriculum can be taught by anyone, however only an education body accredited by Cambrige can oversee the exams ( IGSCE, A-Levels, IB etc. ).

My children receive their lesson plans, books and monthly assignments from Wolsey Hall Oxford, I help my child study the lessons, so I have to do some brushing up on my skills first to ensure that I understand the content before I explain something to them.  But its not rocket science and with a little bit of time and effort searching the internet you will find the answers you need.

You need to have the time to spend with them, my daughter has 5 subjects, maths, english, science, geography and history.  Maths and English are a full day each ( approx 4 hours ), science, history and geographcy are a half day each ( approx 2 hours ).  During these times, your time will be with them, answering their questions, guiding them through the exercises.  

The rest of the time needs to be filled with social activites so the children get time playing, interacting with other children.  So enrol in gym classes, kids play groups, music classes, art, painting, cooking etc.  Fun stuff for them to do.

You will see after just a short period of a few weeks, you yourself will be learning new or relearning old things.  You will build on what they know and move them forward through their education, these steps you will, in part find out yourself, because children don't start with Wolsey Hall Oxford until age 7 as they need to be able to read first.

Teaching yoiur child to read and do basic math is not that hard once you have done the leg work to find out what is needed and how to move them step by step from not reading and not counting to reading and so on.  My 6 year old son could not read and did not know phonics ( the sounds of the letters ), so I wrote the letters of the alphabet out on cards, and flashed them before him each morning, after a couple of weeks he started to get them all correct.  Then I showed him blending, how the sounds can be combined to make a word, for example d - a - d,  dad! and then on from their to reading phonic books with 3 letter words.  In maths, I had him tracing out the numbers, to help his grip of the pencil, and calling the number out. then I had him fill out a part empty 1-100 number grid.  After that we knew that he knew numbers 1 to 100, then he could start adding single digit numbers using his fingers to help him, he woulld start counting on from the first number using his fingers for the second number, the number at which he stopped what the answer.  Next will be teaching him about the numbers place, ones, tens, hundreds etc. because once they can add 9 to 9, they can add any number, by doing one place at a time.  But thats next.

So you need to time to devote to their education, also the children may not relish spending ALL their time with just YOU, that is something that you will need to overcome between yourselves.

So its important they get social fun time, and a place a quite place at home where they and you can study together.

A recent correspondence I had with an interested party, it describes the first steps of my home schooling, so I thought it would post it here.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, ArranP said:

A recent correspondence I had with an interested party, it describes the first steps of my home schooling, so I thought it would post it here.

Very interesting. The hours seem on the long side though. I would have thought 3 to 4 hours would be sufficient to exceed a full day at a regular school.

9 minutes ago, A Lurker said:

Very interesting. The hours seem on the long side though. I would have thought 3 to 4 hours would be sufficient to exceed a full day at a regular school.

Maths and English tend to take a full day i.e. 4 hours, the others Science, Geography and History take only half a day 1 to 2 hours.

Also it depends on how willing your child is.

I taught the Calvert homeschool program to a variety of American children, grades kindergarten to 5th grade, between 1998-2005.  Our 'school' maxed out at 4 children and 4 teachers, but several years just one or two teachers with one or two students.  Class began with the pledge of allegiance at 8 and ended at 3 (kindergarten was 5 hours).  The children learned Thai (extra teacher) and Thai customs, did field trips, and had plenty of outdoor activities during the day to break things up.  Some of the children were homeschooled just one or two years, others 4 or 5.  To the best of my knowledge, all went on to do well in public/private education elsewhere.

Archived