Stay in Thailand or go home - Laotian man's dilemma as he wins 24 million on the lottery!

webfact

Stay in Thailand or go home - Laotian man's dilemma as he wins 24 million on the lottery!

6.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Laotian man with a Burmese wife has won first prize in the national lottery. Twenty eight year old Noi Phromsorn's four tickets with the number 533726 added up to a 24 million baht windfall for the former rolling mill worker.

Noi told Thai Rath reporters that he was on a trip from Laos with his Burmese wife and family. They had gone to see his old boss at a mill in

Manorom district of the central Thai province of Chainat.

He was wondering if he could get some work when a lottery ticket vendor on a motorcycle came by. The vendor was trying to persuade him strongly to buy all four tickets even though he couldn't really afford it.

He liked the number because it meant something to him and he tried to persuade his friends to invest with him but no one was interested.

In the end he took the plunge and bought all four tickets - he could never have believed it would lead to such a huge win, he said.

Now he is debating with the wife whether to return to Laos or to stay in Thailand.

Yesterday Noi was at the Hang Nam Sakhorn police station where he registered his win as evidence, a common practice in Thailand ahead of a visit to the lottery office to get his jackpot.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-02

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Now he is debating with the wife whether to return to Laos or to stay in Thailand.

Is that his choice if he is only on a visit?

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Noi told Thai Rath reporters that he was on a trip from Laos with his Burmese wife and family.

8 minutes ago, starky said:

Whats 24 million baht, like 400 gazillion kip?

More kip than Rip Van Winkle, that is for sure.

Whatever you do, I suggest that you don't leave Thailand until you have the cash safely stashed, in a (preferably Laotian) bank. I should imagine no stone will be left unturned in the effort to prevent a Laos/Burmese couple walking away with the Thai National Lottery jackpot!

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

More kip than Rip Van Winkle, that is for sure.

Whatever you do, I suggest that you don't leave Thailand until you have the cash safely stashed, in a (preferably Laotian) bank. I should imagine no stone will be left unturned in the effort to prevent a Laos/Burmese couple walking away with the Thai National Lottery jackpot!

yes   .....  i'm sure Laotian banks are real safe :clap2:

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

Good for him..I'm sure if he goes back home, all the relatives will be at the border waiting

At the border / over the border. 

If it's in cash let's hope 'nobody' tries to demand a 'commission' for allowing it to go over the border. Let's hope nobody tries to play games with him.

And good luck for the future for the man and his wife. 

On 11/2/2017 at 1:57 PM, steven100 said:

I think i'd open a citibank account in Singapore and just draw of an ATM  ...    safer ... :shock1:

and a fixed term deposit could get him 3.80 % or maybe higher   ??

I think there is a Maybank(malaysian bank branch) in Vientiane  if it is still there he could transfer the money to that bank. Malaysian bank would be safer I guess because he could then transfer the money from Maybank in Laos to Maybank in kuala lumpur and draw his money when needed.

2 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Go home, before your boss assassinates you cold blooded.

Laotian, winning big in the Thai lottery, travelling to Thai provincial towns with his Burmese wife to meet his former boss... Hmmm, he should really do that! Life for him is complicated enough, with Thai visas for him and his wife, etc. Both, Vientiane and Yangon are very nice laid-back and growing cities; he could either retire on that money, or open a sensible business there.

On 02/11/2017 at 2:33 PM, hanuman2543 said:

This is the final evidence that foreigners can win the jackpot of the Thai lottery. QED

Perhaps, has he actually got the money out of the GLO yet? :unsure:

"No ID number, lor?"

So now you can see why I don’t buy lottery tickets - a big win Will ruin your life.

There will now be temptations that are affordable!

My advice would be: 

Move the winnings into an international bank.

Go on a long, luxurious boat trip, but do this in an anomimus way.

During the trip, live a low key life and spend a lot of time reinventing yourselves to be who you want to be.

Change your names and become - reborn.

Best of luck, you’re going to need it.

Archived