What shipping method from Japan is best? DHL, EMS or fedex?

Stevess

Hello. I am new here, and hope I posted in the right forum. I have ordered a camera lens worth 1700 baht from Japan, and have the option to choose shipping methods, EMS, DHL, or FEDEX, ending in 2 days before having my order cancelled. EMS is most expensive (700 baht), but said to be the safest and tax-free method. DHL and Fedex ( economy) are cheaper by 300 baht, but on pantip, (read using google translate) there seem to be a lot of people who have gotten nasty surprises, and faced taxes up to the value of the item ! Others swear by the two and say EMS is slow and unreliable. I have no idea what to pick, and DEFINITELY do not want any taxes out of import charges. What should  I pick? Opinions and ideas will needed quickly. Thanks.

Edited by Stevess
Forgot to add stuff.

21 minutes ago, Stevess said:

Why, specifically? Thanks.

Higher likelihood of attracting Customs duty. The reputation of DHL and FedEx in that regard is much worse.

Guaranteed that DHL and FedEx will be faster and I am quite surprised to see that EMS charge is higher. I have no experience of purchasing out of Japan but EMS out of Hong Kong has been 3-4 days tops and always cheaper than DHL and FedEx.

Edited by NanLaew

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Higher likelihood of attracting Customs duty. The reputation of DHL and FedEx in that regard is much worse.

So EMS has a higher chance of getting taxes, or the DHL and FedEx? I'm a bit confused.

5 hours ago, Stevess said:

So EMS has a higher chance of getting taxes, or the DHL and FedEx? I'm a bit confused.

Sorry, my mistake and can see your confusion.

EMS has LOWER likelihood of attracting duty.

DHL and FedEx has a HIGHER likelihood of attracting duty.

EMS is typically cheaper and slower regionally but maybe Japan is different.

DHL and FedEx typically more expensive and faster worldwide but maybe Japan is different.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

FedEx / DHL are great for sending zero value documents.

True statement for document packages but if someone tries a zero-value, non-document package, Customs will look and say otherwise.

Customs have also a reputation for ignoring declared value on courier packages and charging what they reckon is right regardless of the original value declaration being supported by a sales receipt or the goods being obviously not new.

I'll echo the above, EMS will often get through unmolested, certainly on a relatively low declared value package.

Using any of the couriers WILL attract duty and VAT which may or may not be correctly applied.

I've had big ticket (several k USD) items shipped DHL with the correct customs tariff code and these have had the correct VAT and duty along with a couple of (small) mystery charges which weren't worth arguing about in the overall cost.

9 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

Just pay your importtax as legally required!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What? Where did I say I tried to not pay import tax? I just don't want a y hidden carrier fees or excessive fees.

3 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Just pay your importtax as legally required!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

... shouted Mr Loadsamoney who assumes that Thai Customs are fair, honest and charge legitimate duties as published and never, ever pull magical, fantastical numbers out of their bums and confiscate stuff they like while arbitrarily ignoring the foreign Consignors paperwork that correctly states the true value of the contents.

Edited by NanLaew